Are there really people this stupid?

Any time one poses the question "Are there really people this stupid?" the answer is invariably Yes, no matter what circumstances prompted the question.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, there really are people this stupid. Read some of the reports compiled in the Woodworking Accident Survey

Example: *nine* reports of hand/finger injuries caused by using a biscuit joiner while holding the workpiece by hand instead of using clamps.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:rrednep3t-E7abXLnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Bad example, Ralph. That coffee was 190+ degrees, which is WAY too damn hot. That same restaurant had received numerous earlier complaints of customers being burned by coffee that was too hot -- and ignored them.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Per Uncle Monster:

Do we know that the lady in question was driving ?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

We know she was not. She was a passenger and put the cup between her legs. Once you take the top off, the cup is very flexible.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My favorite is this one:

A few years ago I got curious about whether a lawsuit was filed in this matter, and how it came out. I posted a question about it on a legal newsgroup and the eventual answer was this:

Civil Case Number 037453/2005, a suit by Barbara Squicciarini vs. Conopco, Inc. (which I guess is the parent company or successor of Unilever, the maker of AquaNet), in which she is represented by David I. Schoen, as indicated in the NY Post article.

Under "case status", the courts website lists the matter as "disposed", not "active", so the other poster who said the case is still active is apparently mistaken. Interestingly, Barbara Squicciarini is also listed as a plaintiff in 3 other suits filed in Brooklyn Supreme Court, in all of which she was represented by a different law firm, Monaco & Monaco LLP, all of them personal injury cases apparently involving injury to Barbara herself, two of those being car crashes, and one of those cases is still active, which may be the one the other poster was referring to.

In hopes of putting inquiring minds at rest, I clicked on the case number, which conveniently brought up a summary of status, indicating the date of disposition was 1/3/2007. A motion to dismiss that was filed on 1/3/2006 was denied by a short form order on 1/25/06. Since that was just a month after the case was filed (on 12/16/05), my guess is the judge just felt it was too early to dispose of the case since the pleadings apparently at least alleged a proper cause of action, and that factual discovery would be needed to flesh it out and see whether it needed to go to trial.

There is no other indication of the nature of the final disposition on

1/3/2007. Maybe someone more versed in reading the NY Courts website can help out here, but my guess is that means it was simply settled off the record in a confidential settlement between the parties and removed from the docket. That is not uncommon in a product liability suit that challenges the safety of the design or labeling of a company's entire line of products; the company often will want the present case to be settled to get it off the docket and cap their risk of large losses, but they do not want any public record of it so that it cannot encourage or be used a precedent by any other claimants. In this particular case, of course, I have no idea whether that is what occurred, it is just rank speculation. But if it is what happened, it's not surprising that there have been no further news reports about the outcome, since neither side would be making statements to the media in case of a confidential settlement.

I hope that is enough to satisfy everybody and kill this thread.

--

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

While I sympathize with the family and agree the woman suffered horribly...

"...Dec. 14, 2003, one day after she tried to apply Aquanet to her hair as she did daily. When the can's nozzle became clogged after she had sprayed on some of the product, Squicciarini picked up a can opener from a kitchen drawer, according to court papers filed in the Brooklyn Supreme Court suit. "With the can opener, Lorraine Squicciarini opened a hole in the bottom of the Aquanet can in an attempt to clear the nozzle,"

Are you kidding me? Can opener to clear a nozzle FROM THE BOTTOM the can? In what alternate universe?

"Do NOT puncture" is an inadequate warning? Apparently it was in this case, but for any person with an IQ above room temperature it should be more than sufficient.

At some point society must let Darwin run wild and improve the breed. Entertaining asinine claims such as this just harms us all overall.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused
[snip]

If you eat or drink ANYTHING while driving you should be prepared to drop it at ANY TIME. Are you really prepared to drop 190-degree coffee in your lap? If not, you shouldn't be drinking it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

ummm, you meant Christmas Day, right? Celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Are there really people this secular?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of course, the *big* Christian holiday isn't XMAS but, rather, Easter.

Reply to
Don Y

The Puritans had the right idea; ban XMAS. Even after the ban was relaxed Massachusetts wasn't big on Christmas until the Irish invaded and showed the bluenoses how to party.

Reply to
rbowman

In many easter (esp NE) towns/cities, there are large ethnic populations that have all sorts of bizarre holiday traditions. I recall the Feast of the Three Saints (?) in Lawrence, MA. Complete with a parade of "effigies"/statues down the streets (to which people would tape CASH "donations").

Of course, as a kid, we were only interested in the "rides" and "portable midway" that came with the celebration. And, of course, the special foodstuffs!

Reply to
Don Y

Sure is, if you worship the resurrected, risen Lord instead of the dead one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I caught the tail end of one of those saint's day processions in the North End. The calamari salad and cannoli were good. I don't remember who the saint of the day was.

Reply to
rbowman

On our way back from patent office, boss treated us to lunch (north end). [AFAICT, that was the sole compensation we received for signing over our patent rights! :< ] He was Irish, my two colleagues Hungarian and "oriental" (I came from a largely Italian upbringing).

One glance at the menu and my eyes lit up. Waiter came for our order: "I'd like a bowl of pastina, drained with 1/4lb of butter on the side". None of them had ever, apparently seen it. And, all were a bit envious at the gusto with which I *attacked* it!

[OTOH, best Italian restaurant I've visited was in Liverpool. Though a few in NYC were very good!]

One thing the east coast has going for it is true ethnic neighborhoods! Nothing really like that in the midwest or southwest (barring hispanic). Though Chicago has the largest Lithuanian population outside of Vilnius!

Reply to
Don Y

Mark Lloyd wrote in news:%69Xx.267109$ snipped-for-privacy@fx30.iad:

same

coffee

She was a passenger. And the car wasn't moving when she spilled it.

*Nobody* is prepared to drop 190-degree coffee in his/her lap, at any time. And *nobody* should, or even can, drink anything that hot. Have you ever measured the temperature of the coffee coming out of your automatic-drip coffee maker at home, Mark? I have: 161 degrees. And *that's* too hot to drink, before adding cream or milk. This stuff was 30 degrees hotter than that.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Born and raised in Philadelphia, I could guess your nationality with amazing accuracy if I knew your address, not your name. On Allegheny Ave there are three RC churches in three blocks. I was probably a teenager before I found out they had names other than the Polish, the Irish, and the German church.

It was also easy to find great ethnic foods in the various neighborhoods too. When we go back, we still shop for some of our favorites that we can't find here in the CT, MA, RI area that I live in.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, it is too hot to drink, but not to brew. I bought my wife a Technivorm Moccamaster coffee maker for just that reason. It meets SCAA requirements.

The right temperature:

As I stated before, the SCAA recommends that a home coffeemaker's brewing water reach the ideal temperature to properly whip up a tasty cup. Specifically the association says a machine's brew temp should hit

197.6 degrees Fahrenheit within the first minute brewing and not exceed 204.8 degrees. Also crucial is for a coffeemaker to expose its grounds to water between 4 and 8 minutes.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to worship the resurrected risen crocuses as they pushed through the snow. Heil Ostara.

It's useful to note which languages use a variation of Ostara like Oster or Easter, and which use something derived from Passover (Pesakh) like Pâques.

Reply to
rbowman