US Veteran's Day

I'm well with you on that one, but as much as it pains me say (because I like to whinge about stuff), things aren't as bad here as certain media empires would suggest.
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:11:16 -0800 (PST), David Paste

No, we can't entirely trust news from the media or even official gov't outlets, can we? <sigh>
That said, I've seen your newspapers and websites talk about the nanny state that is happening in the UK, in Oz, and in Europe. The sad news is that it's trying to happen here, too. Arrrrgh!
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling
"David Paste" wrote:

allowed to in that state, apparently, which is truly odd. -------------------------- For many years that was the law across the US.
It's only within the last 30-40 years that self pumping began to be allowed.
Lew

I've just read that Oregon & New Jersey are the only two states with this requirement. Are these people generally not trustworthy or something?!
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:44:51 -0800 (PST), David Paste

OK, we're even now. (I'm from Oregon. ;)
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

LOL!
"David Paste" wrote:

something?! ------------------------------ Call it job security.
A lot of high school kids got part time jobs at the corner gas station as a "pump jockey" back in those days.
Then came the '73 oil embargo and the resultant change in oil company operations.
BTW, there are a whole lot less neighborhood gas stations than in days past.
These days, you not only get to pump your gas, you get to check your oil and clean your windshield.
Lew

Yeah, I was thinking it would be something like that.

Clean?!

Why do big fat bugs always get splattered onto the windshield right in the line-of-sight of the driver? Always? Is that why some of the smarter nations have their drivers sit in the passenger seats? I wanna know!

You're not driving fast enough! Above 85mph, the bugs smear over a greater surface area of the windscreen, making it easier for the wipers & washer fluid to clean it off. Of course, at such elevated speeds, you must follow all the necessary safety procedures - constant application of the horn whilst passing primary schools, retirement complexes, etc.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 05:00:49 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Bugmikaze code. Rocks have the same tendency, damnit. I once had a 5-T truck's u-joint cup hit me between the eyes. Luckily, there was a windshield between us. It hit with the rubber seal first so it only skidded a small scratch in the 'shield. And since it was segmented driveline, the whole thing didn't come at me at 70mph. Whew!
P.S:
Q: What's the last thing to go through a bug's mind as it hits the windshield? A: Its asshole.
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Why did the siamese twins vacation in England? . . . . A: So the other one could drive for a change...

And it will. Give it time.
On 11/14/2010 3:00 PM, CW wrote:

I've said it here a number of times ... what you see today in the UK is what you will see here in the next decade, give or take a few years.
I've been observing this trend for almost fifty years and it has never varied.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Just out of interest, is there any particular concept / ruling that bothers you more than any other?

Daylight "Saving" time. <g>
Max

No kidding. What a waste.
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling
"David Paste" wrote:

----------------------------------- Call it "The born to bitch" factor.
Doesn't make any difference what idea is offered, somebody is going to bitch about it.
Lew
On 11/14/10 7:32 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

--
Froz...

On 11/14/2010 5:49 PM, David Paste wrote:

Government intrusion on individual privacy. I remember being floored by the double teaming by two London bobbies stopping someone walking down the street, and while one interrogated the individual, the other walked off a short distance with his walkie talkie and came back a few minutes later knowing the guys/gals blood type, employer, how much he made, how many kids he had, and whether he'd renewed his telly license.
... that was in 1964.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010