US Veteran's Day

No kidding. What a waste.

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, we're even now. (I'm from Oregon. ;)

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

this requirement. Are these people generally not trustworthy or something?!

------------------------------ Call it job security.

A lot of high school kids got part time jobs at the corner gas station as a "pump jockey" back in those days.

Then came the '73 oil embargo and the resultant change in oil company operations.

BTW, there are a whole lot less neighborhood gas stations than in days past.

These days, you not only get to pump your gas, you get to check your oil and clean your windshield.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

bothers you more than any other?

----------------------------------- Call it "The born to bitch" factor.

Doesn't make any difference what idea is offered, somebody is going to bitch about it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Bitching and moaning have become politically correct.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Government intrusion on individual privacy. I remember being floored by the double teaming by two London bobbies stopping someone walking down the street, and while one interrogated the individual, the other walked off a short distance with his walkie talkie and came back a few minutes later knowing the guys/gals blood type, employer, how much he made, how many kids he had, and whether he'd renewed his telly license.

... that was in 1964.

Reply to
Swingman

...and that was before we were all injected with microchips.

... that was in 1964

Reply to
Josepi

ahhh! There may be a little of that too!...LOL

SInce it get dark at 5 PM now too.

I finally got a shelf mounted with all my cased power tools in the garage. Needed a reciprocating saw the other day to shorten sections of a 9' Christmas tree down a few inches and the friggin' cord was like a slinky, coiled spring. Need to bring the power tools in for a couple of days before trying to use the ones with the cheap cords...LOL

Max

Reply to
Josepi

RAF Burtonwood, just north of Warrington. It's about in the middle of Liverpool and Manchester. It is now a half-complete rabbit-hutch housing estate :-/

My sister lived in Warrington for a few years. Her husband is a minister and he gets shuffled around just like he was military. After Warrington it was something or other On-The-Wall and now it's Frinton-On-Sea. IIRC, Burtonwood was a signals base or something like that.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I remember being taken from a USAF base by two civilian detectives who would not divulge to me what I had done. Once in Swindon I was informed I owed five quid for not leaving my 'parking' lights on while parked at night.

That was 1963.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Which begs the question: why should it even BE a ballot issue?

Reply to
HeyBub

A lot of stuff here becomes a ballot issue. See my sig.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Twice in the same thread?

Bob Martin

LOL!

Reply to
David Paste

Yeah, I was thinking it would be something like that.

Clean?!

Reply to
David Paste

Well, from the American cop shows we get here, you've the same thing going on. Germany has a TV and radio licensing scheme too, you're apparently supposed to have a license for each piece of equipment. Luckily, you are well within your rights to tell the agency to never darken your doorway over there.

Reply to
David Paste

Why do big fat bugs always get splattered onto the windshield right in the line-of-sight of the driver? Always? Is that why some of the smarter nations have their drivers sit in the passenger seats? I wanna know!

Reply to
Robatoy

You're not driving fast enough! Above 85mph, the bugs smear over a greater surface area of the windscreen, making it easier for the wipers & washer fluid to clean it off. Of course, at such elevated speeds, you must follow all the necessary safety procedures - constant application of the horn whilst passing primary schools, retirement complexes, etc.

Reply to
David Paste

Well, from the American cop shows we get here, you've the same thing going on.

Yes we do...on TV. There is a lot of fantasy in those shows.

Reply to
CW

Oh no. The reality cop shows (i.e. COPS) are spot-on real life.

In my experience, people are funny. If you strees 'em a bit, they get funnier. You see, when people come under pressure, the facade of rationality falls away and they go nuts. Talk to anybody who sees people in stressful situations - cops, firefighters, emergency room workers, EMTs, and the like - and they could tell you stories...

The stories will shock you and tremble your sensibilities. After a bit, though, YOUR apprehension of proper interaction will fall away and you'll begin to appreciate the humor of the situation. Here's a couple that happened to me:

Me: "Aren't you aware you could kill someone by driving so closely?" Squint: "Honest! I didn't know you was the fuzz. I thought you was just a couple of ordinary turds."

Dispatcher: "352 - check a report of a nude, black, female running across the Highway 90 bridge at this time." Car: "352 - clear. Enroute."

(two minutes pass)

Dispatcher: "352 - additional information on your nude, black, female subject. She is reportedly being pursued at this time by another black female with a knife. Handle Code 3" Car: "352 - clear. (sound of siren in background)"

Of course if you DO begin to see the humor, you risk being warped forever. Be warned.

Reply to
HeyBub