US Veteran's Day

I'm well with you on that one, but as much as it pains me say (because I like to whinge about stuff), things aren't as bad here as certain media empires would suggest.

Reply to
David Paste

Thanks for the laugh!

Bob Martin

I have to say, I am mystified when people move TO the UK rather than FROM - life ain't the best here, it is terribly overcrowded, as you mention. And property prices? Well, it's a joke. The country is skint and not going to get better for a while. If I had the chance, I'd probably move to the states. But then again, the grass is always greener, no?!

What did you do over here, just out of interest? I come from a town which used to have a huge US air base just to the north, several of my aunts got hitched to the airmen and not live the life of Riley on the west coast of America.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- \ What base and town? I was stationed at RAF Burderop Park for three years. Just outside Swindon, Wilts. Brize Norton and Fairford were nearby.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

RAF Burtonwood, just north of Warrington. It's about in the middle of Liverpool and Manchester. It is now a half-complete rabbit-hutch housing estate :-/

Reply to
David Paste

No, we can't entirely trust news from the media or even official gov't outlets, can we?

That said, I've seen your newspapers and websites talk about the nanny state that is happening in the UK, in Oz, and in Europe. The sad news is that it's trying to happen here, too. Arrrrgh!

-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oregon in 1999 when I tried to fill up my car with petrol. You're not allowed to in that state, apparently, which is truly odd.

-------------------------- For many years that was the law across the US.

It's only within the last 30-40 years that self pumping began to be allowed.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Very much worth seeing. My wife recently asked if the complete box-set of Black Adder on sale at Amazon would be a nice Christmas present and I said it would be, so I expect to see it under the tree next month. But that last episode is startling, a comedy where everyone dies in the final episode is not what one expects.

Reply to
DGDevin

And it will. Give it time.

Reply to
CW

Between you and David, it definitely sounds worth checking it out ... thanks.

Reply to
Swingman

I've said it here a number of times ... what you see today in the UK is what you will see here in the next decade, give or take a few years.

I've been observing this trend for almost fifty years and it has never varied.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks for spoiling the surprise.

Reply to
Robatoy

They do know. Do you often tell people how books turn out too?

Reply to
CW

Finally exposed yourself again. How many times and how long have you been waiting to find something to not laugh at?..ROFLMFAO

SUFO

Reply to
Josepi

Quite the comedian, dimbulb.

Josepi, FOAD.

Reply to
Josepi

I take it that a lot of you guys who live in cold climates have unheated shops.

Max

Reply to
Max

Right now my garage is my shop until I get more of my home finished.

Yes, things get cold and when the real cold starts the shop work has to stop. No more spraying or even wood cutting (the mitts get caught in the cutter...LOL)

Right now it's just a sweater and things are still workable during Indian Summer, especialy.

Once I progess more on the home finishing the shop will get moved into the garden shed. (538 sq. ft. was the max permitted) and then the hydronic heating needs to be repaired and the solar heat collection system needs some repairs and then.....**SIGH**. ...someday...LOL

Max

Reply to
Josepi

I've just read that Oregon & New Jersey are the only two states with this requirement. Are these people generally not trustworthy or something?!

Reply to
David Paste

I was alluding to the likelihood that many of you had not enough to do and so you were engaging in a little prattle. "The fire ants must be hibernating".

Max

Reply to
Max

Just out of interest, is there any particular concept / ruling that bothers you more than any other?

Reply to
David Paste

Daylight "Saving" time.

Max