Thank you to Applianceaid

My gas dryer stopped producing heat. After reading your site I was able to determine it was the igniter. $15 later problem solved. Thanks for all the great info.

Reply to
KJFK

I am glad we helped!! :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I have the same GE gas dryer, a while back I replaced the igniter and all was good. Dryer stopped heating again. There is 120 going to the burner unit. I don't have an Ohm meter (yet) so I tested continuity with a battery operated continuity tester. Both coils, igniter, radiant sensor and high limit show continuity. The coils and igniter barely light the tester. The radiant sensor and high limit light the tester very bright. Is this a valid test? I'm stuck. Can you advise?

Reply to
KJFK

Hi,

The ignitor is comming on and glowing red?

That is the place to start...ignitor workign or not working and what happens after the ignitor gets good and hot....ignitor goes out, ignitor stays glowing, ect.

The coils are a much higher resistance than the sensor and thermostats are so the light will be less. But the coils on the gas valve are bad for working once or twice and then opening up ( no continuity ) and failing.

Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

No, it does not. When I push the button for heat I hear a click that sounds like its coming from the burner and then nothing.

These coils are the originals. One has 3 pins and the other has 2. There is continuity between all the pins for each coil. Do I need to get an ohm meter to measure the resistance? Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the help.

Reply to
KJFK

There is 120 to the igniter and NO glow, so I guess when I replaced it I screwed it up. It was just the igniter portion not the holder. I took it back out and there are a few small black marks where the base of the igniter contacts the holder. I guess I need the whole shebang this time. Any tricks to putting in a new igniter into an old holder,for future reference?

Reply to
KJFK

I re-installed the old igniter twisting it slightly in the holder so it makes better contact. It now glows. Do you think it will last a while being it was already slightly a little chared or should jI ust order new parts before I put the whole dryer back together.

Reply to
KJFK

Hi,

Yupper...bad connection between the holder and ignitor will cause those burnt/arc marks and prevent the ignitor from working. *May* get away with sanding the holder clean and pinching tighter for more contact and replace the ignitor again.

assembly, round style igniter.
igniter, round style.

New parts is the best repair. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid