What is the proper way to check the gas valve on Goodman GMT furnace with a multimeter?

Hello Everyone,

My Goodman GMT140-5D furnace will intermittently not ignite. What I mean is that the after the heat call from the t-stat, the inducer motor will come on, HSI igniter will glow for 15 seconds, but the burners will not ignite w ith flame. After 15 seconds and no flame, the igniter will shut off and try again, to the same result. This will continue until furnace locks out and will flash 1 continuous blink, which indicates an ignition failure fault co de according to Goodman error code diagram.

This doesn't happen every time, but once every 1-2 days. It seems to mostly happen if the temperature inside the home was higher than the t-stat setti ng for most of the day (days are warmer in Colorado now, nights are still c old) and the furnace was not calling for heat for most of the day.

If I remove the rubber hose from the pressure switch, and blow in and out o f the pressure switch, it will click, so I'm pretty sure it opens ok since I hear those clicks every time.

I've already replaced the igniter (twice), 120V/24V transformer, and the co ntrol board. I also had a an HVAC tech bend the HSI igniter bracket a littl e since he was sure that the igniter was too far from the gas burner and no t sensing the HSI glow. That worked for a couple of days, but then the prob lem reappeared. I also already cleaned the flame sensor rod.

I'm thinking that the problem is either a bad gas valve or wiring (possibly from a bad grounding). I haven't replaced the gas valve yet. I'm thinking if I test the gas valve and it receives 24V when igniter glows, but doesn't open, then the problem is the gas valve. If I don't get 24V to the gas val ve when the igniter glows, then the problem is the wiring/control board/gro und, correct??

Can anyone tell me the proper way to check gas valve voltage? I'm thinking I should be checking continuity (ohms) by touching the gas valve terminals with the multimeter test leads (red test lead to red terminal, black lead t o blue terminal) and the multimeter set the Ohms. If that's the proper way, anything higher than OL is good, correct? Or, is it better to check with m ultimeter set to AC voltage? Or should I remove the wires from the gas valv e terminals and check with AC voltage? Again, I'm trying to see if the gas valve is actually receiving 24V from the control board...

Any other suggestions, ideas are greatly welcome...

Reply to
genek1979

[...]

Sounds correct to me. That is how I would diagnose it.

g I should be checking continuity (ohms) by touching the gas valve terminal s with the multimeter test leads (red test lead to red terminal, black lead to blue terminal) and the multimeter set the Ohms.

That would give you the resistance of the valve, but that's all. And you don't know what the proper resistance is, etc.

If that's the proper way, anything higher than OL is good, correct? Or, is it better to check with multimeter set to AC voltage?

Check with meter set to AC, leads on the valve terminals, with the furnace at the point the igniter is glowing.

Or should I remove the wires from the gas valve terminals and check with A C voltage? Again, I'm trying to see if the gas valve is actually receiving

24V from the control board...
Reply to
trader_4

Most gas valve, you can touch your VOM lead tips to the push on terminals that power the gas valve. With call for gas, should read between 23 and 29 VAC, in that range.

You might also check for blockage of the flue pipe, might not be enough combustion air flow.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

:

[...]

I should have added, this assumes it's a simple one stage gas valve.

Reply to
trader_4

te:

[...]

Will check this and post the results. Thank You trader_4

Reply to
genek1979

Oren posted for all of us...

Did you find the video that shows him how to turn on the m/m?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Be interesting to hear back from the OP. Wonder if any Goodmans use two stage valves?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would expect that every furnace manufacturer has some two stage units today. Some are continuously variable too.

Reply to
trader_4

Reply to
genek1979