US Veteran's Day

Page 2 of 5

"CW" wrote in message

If they already know then I didn't ruin it for them, did I.
On 11/15/2010 12:23 PM, DGDevin wrote:

I think he meant to say "They do now".
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
"Steve Turner" wrote in message

Yeah, I got that.
In any case the very end of the final episode doesn't reduce the enjoyment to be had from the previous two-dozen episodes, it isn't a murder mystery with a surprise ending.
daally....invalid.com says...

And another whiny twit <plonked>.

Ditto.
During an interview a WWII vet was asked if he considered himself a hero, having landed at Normandy.... he thought for a moment and said: "Naw...the heroes all died....."
Misplaced apostrophe, should be Veterans, not Veteran's.
But still the sentiment is the same.
Thanks.
MJ

ehem..... Veterans' Day in any case, I think most just leave out the apostrophe, altogether.
Irony aside, thank you to any woodworking veterans in this group. You willingness to serve in my stead for my freedom is not something I take lightly. You have my utmost respect and gratitude.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/11/2010 10:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Backatcha: Army 1968 - 1972
On that same note:
http://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/2010/11/navy-veteran-carves-thedeclaration-of-independence /
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Isn't this an international group?
Tim w
On 11/11/2010 2:44 PM, Tim W wrote:

What does that have to do with it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Leave it to the Brits to screw up Remembrance day.
Disarming Remembrance Day
November 9, 2010: A hundred teenage members of the British Army Cadet Force in Plymouth have been suddenly told that they would not be able to carry rifles, as they traditionally have, during the annual November 11th Remembrance Day parade. The reason given was that it was inappropriate to have the teenage cadets carrying rifles in public because it glamorizes weapons. The cadets disagreed, but the decision stood.
The Army Cadet Force began 160 years ago as an organization for boys who were intent on eventually joining the militia (a local defense tradition dating back over a thousand years). The Cadet Corps quickly became a national organization and was supported by the British Army as a way to introduce teenage boys to the military, and help recruiting. The Army Cadet Force lost its government funding in the 1920s, but continued via donations from individuals and local organizations. The Army Cadet Force was similar to the Boy Scouts (also founded in Britain), but with a more military orientation. This included the local cadets marching in Remembrance Day parades, often with the rifles they had learned to use, and had practiced drilling with. Girls were allowed to join the Army Cadet Force in the 1980s.
Currently, there are about 1,700 Army Cadet Force detachments, with 47,000 cadets and 8,500 adult staff and instructors. With the decline in the number of veterans (conscription was abolished in the 1950s and the armed forces has been shrinking ever since), more and more of the adult staff have had no military experience. Thus the emphasis on military matters has declined, and the Army Cadet Force was increasingly described by its leadership as a youth, not military, organization. As a result of this, ten years ago, a new rule was introduced that eliminated cadets carrying rifles during parades. But the rule was not always enforced. This year, in Plymouth, it was. This got some media attention, especially since the cadets had carried their rifles in a parade two months ago. The sudden decision to enforce the "no rifles" rule was attributed to complaints from members of the public. But it's actually been a long term trend.
Remembrance Day commemorates the end of World War I, and has come to be an event that honors all war dead. Remembrance Day events are held in Britain, and most Allied countries who participated in World War I. In the U.S., November 11th is called Veterans Day, because Americans commemorate the war dead on Memorial Day in May, an occasion that dates to the 19th century custom of honoring the dead of the American Civil War (1861-5), and later modified to cover the dead from all American wars. Thus the November 11 commemorations in Europe and the British Commonwealth, are a bigger deal than they are in the United States.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Snipped
From a Brit.
You really don't need to carry arms to remember those that fell in war, in fact, there were millions in the UK who didn't. This isn't America where carrying arms is almost mandatory and guns are worshipped as gods!
Let us do as we wish, as you do in your country - after all, that's what the men who fought these wars died for.
"Disbelief" wrote

chefs proclaiming there is no needs for cooking knives. We get media reports on a semi regular basis that shows one more idiotic example of you you are turning into a siisified nanny state. And there are many folks in the US who are trying to do this here as well.
Is that what they fought and died for? To be a bunch of sissies?
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

They had a lot of reasons for that. Some because they thought the war would enable people to live in peace, some because they would get shot by their own side if they didn't. I suppose there must have been some that just loved flags and uniforms and guns and violence.
Generally in my country the war dead are remembered on this day with grief and sadness as well as pride. It is not ever a celebration of how great our military is. It is about loss and mourning.
Tim W
Larry - did you actually read and comprehend what I wrote? Or just type out a knee-jerk reaction to each sentence? Come on man, you're better than that.
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 06:50:06 -0800 (PST), David Paste

<blink, blink> Yeah, I read it and reread it to make sure I was catching it--in context. What do you think I missed?
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

Well, your reply seems to be railing against what I wrote as if I wrote something inflammatory about you or your country. I didn't. I have no axe to grind, merely suggesting reasons for the differences. You even called me a booby! I don't even have blue feet!
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:39:31 -0800 (PST), David Paste

The axe I grind is against gov'ts who steal freedom from their vict^H^H^H^Hsubjects.

Har! I meant that as a gently abrasive moniker.
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling