TS Miter Gauge Question

Page 1 of 2
I have a new table saw and the miter slots are T shaped. The new miter gau ge has a keeper on the end so you can’t seat the gauge in the slot unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.
I can see the advantage of this (slightly) since my new saw has the blade c loser to the front of the table and the miter gauge has to be pulled way ba ck for cross cutting wide stock. In this case, the keeper keeps the far en d of the gauge from rotating up as you start the cut.
Still, I (currently) find it annoying to have to move the miter gauge end o ff the table end to lift it off or set it in the groove. Different than ho w I’ve done business for a very long time.
So, I am asking the group how you all feel about the keepers on these miter gauges. Please let me know more of the pros and cons.
Thanks,
Bill Leonhardt
On 5/31/2016 8:43 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

Strictly personal preference and while it can be annoying at times it prevents the miter gauge from tipping and falling off the front of the saw. This is especially helpful when cross cutting a wide board and you have to grab some where else, other than the miter gauge, while positioning for the cut. Basically you don't really appreciate it until you realize the keeper has kept the miter gauge from falling to the floor. If you never cross cut wider than the area between the front of the blade and the front of the saw you may never appreciate this feature.
On 5/31/2016 9:43 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

piece. But then I generally use my panel cut off
--
Jeff

On Tue, 31 May 2016 06:43:42 -0700 (PDT)

only advantage i know of
well it can be good too if you use a cross cut sled for the same reasons but more so
but do what you are used to doing
Thanks Leon, Woodchucker and Electric Comet. I'll probably remove the keep er and put it back when I see the need.
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-4, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

t unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.....
On 6/1/2016 10:41 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

If you are anything like me you will remove it, store it in an extra save and secret place to never ever be seen by you again. ;~)
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:46:48 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

slot unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.....

...and if you're like me, you'll spend at least a half hour weighing the pros and cons of various safe and secret places before deciding on the perfect spot, the one that makes the most sense for that particular item, ensuring that you won't forget where you put it.
Then, and only then, will it never ever be seen by you again.
On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 09:20:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I am so guilty on that. Irritating, all those "special obvious spots"

The great thing is, whenever I do that I find all sorts of useful stuff which was carefully set aside years ago and immediately forgotten. It's almost like Christmas!
(of course, I then move the useful stuff to new places and forget about them again).
John
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 3:40:17 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:

Of course, at the time that you find that long lost item, you don't need it. Then when you *do* need it, well, you know the rest...
On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 12:47:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Or you look at it and think, "What the hell is this, and how did it get here?".

About 20% of the time !
"krw" wrote in message

Or you find that long lost key item just after you buy its replacement.

I had a friend who remodeled his kitchen. Somehow in the process, he lost is framing square. He lived there another three or four years and never did find it.

Probably will be found with the next remodel of that kitchen.
On 6/3/2016 10:21 PM, Markem wrote:

[snip]

Yep, right beneath one of the base cabinets. I'd bet money on it.;)
snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net says...

I lost a framing square once and a while later noticed a bump in the vinyl-no-wax floor shaped exactly like a framing square.
On 6/4/16 5:37 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I insulated the ceiling of my garage and put up new drywall (no attic access). I found a framing square and fairly nice (not rusty and still sharp) crosscut saw.
Helps to even out the tool-sacrifice-to-the-Gods karma
-BR
On 06/04/2016 8:57 AM, Brewster wrote:

I "found" a framing square when finishing up the downstairs in order to sell the house in VA prior to the move to TN. It was in the framing over the shop door at bottom of stairs where it had been for probably at least six years after closed off the shop area for dust control and then the basement remodel project got put aside...
On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 10:20:26 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

When my boys were very young, I removed a knee-wall in their bedroom to create storage shelves with sliding doors. Creating the flat portion for the upper track resulted in small triangular "cubbies" because of the slanted ceiling.
I had each of my 4 kids and SWMBO create a drawing and write a few words. I wrote a little about the project, the house and my family. We dated each sheet, rolled them up and put them in the cubbies before dry walling over them.
They'll either be there until the house comes down or a subsequent owner decides to raise that roof or otherwise remodel that room.