OT On/Topic... removing rust the easy way.

I watch some u tube videos. Mr Pete (metal working) had a nice tip on using vinegar rather than electrolysis.

Well, it worked great. I picked up a miter cutting blade for $5 the other day. It's a big cast iron piece and I'll show pics when complete. It was all rusty and grimmy. The vinegar removed the rust really well and quickly.

I tried the same on a cast iron machinists table I got recently. it had a coat of rust and would not work for welding (ground). put some paper towels on and poured the vinegar on, the rust came off and now my ohm meter shows excellent conduction. Before the meter would not move, and sanding the rust was not working... so I'm really happy about this. Cheap, stinks, easily neutraulized with water, just oil after.

You do have to clean the parts first, the vinegar won't cut through oil and grease.

Reply to
woodchucker

Good to know! I have also found, by accident, hat most any Titebond type PVA wood glue will remove rust also.

Reply to
Leon

Keep a gallon of white vinegar on hand all the time. One of the most useful chemical compounds known to man.

I just used it last week to do my every 6 month drain maintenance on all the drains in the house (with baking soda); to clean out the Kuerig coffee maker, and freshen up the dishwasher; to kill some weeds growing up through the decomposed granite (in lieu of RoundUp).

And, added a tablespoon in with two cups of raw rice cooked in the rice cooker ... keeps the rice from getting gummy.

Reply to
Swingman

After my AC guy told me to use vinegar instead of bleach, cheaper, in the AC drain I also started using it in my sinks. Soak you faucet aerator in vinegar and it works like new again.

Reply to
Leon

But, gummy rice stays on your chopsticks better.

Reply to
G. Ross

main ingredient is water in vinegar

water removes rust well too once oils and grease are removed

maybe the acids in vinegar increases the reaction time or it may make the water penetrate better

might be improved ion exchange over just plain water

hmmmm

Reply to
Electric Comet

No buts ... you don't eat gumbo with chopsticks, cher.

Reply to
Swingman

Vinegar is also a chemical used is photo developing. But probably not as much today.

Reply to
Markem

Speak for yourself :-)

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Acetic acid has a number of uses, including as precursor to PVA (which is why PVA glues have a vinegar odor) and a component in Acetylsalicyclic acid (ASA), AKA Aspirin.

Vinegar is very dilute Acetic acid.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I'll cheerfully provide the gumbo just to watch that. lol

Now, if you eat boiled crawfish with chopsticks, we could take that on the road...

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah. It's often referred to as "sticky" rice. A distinct species of rice which is very "glutinous" (gummy) and is supposed to cook up like that. If you don't like yer rice, "gummy", then choose a different type of rice. Long white rice and basmati are "fluffy" rices. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Look at you .. telling a coonass, who can look at any rice field and tell you how much gravy it will take to cover it up, about rice??

Besides, I have a wife who I guarantee will never fail to make _any_ rice gummy ... that's apparently how they teach'em in AR.

Reply to
Swingman

How is that different from unpeeled prawns, which are commonly eaten with chopsticks in certain cultures?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

UNPEELED? That just ain't right. Makes an extra step to eating them. And makes yer fingers messy...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Or maybe - JUST MAYBE - it (the acid in the vinegar) is reducing the ferric iron oxide to ferrous iron oxide. Yeah, I choose that one, acids do that..

Reply to
dadiOH

I was a photographer for 50 years. Neither I nor anyone I ever met or heard of used vinegar in photography. Acetic acid, yes; vinegar, no. The acid is often used to stop the action of the developer which is basic.

Reply to
dadiOH

Plus other stuff depending upon from what it was made.

Reply to
dadiOH

3 to 9 percent of vinegar is acetic acid, more diluted than a stop bath but the same acid.
Reply to
Markem

Plus the other stuff.

Glacial acetic acid is generally 28% acid. I never measured but probably used about 1 ounce per 32 ounces of water which would be around 1% or less.

Reply to
dadiOH