Removing rust from brick/shingles

I'm replacing an old chimney cap on my chimney. However, over the years it has leached rust down the chimney brick and streaked part of the shingle roof. Is there a solvent I can buy to remove this stuff without damaging the brick and shingles?

Someone at Big Box recommended I use TSP, but the label says nothing about removing rust from a brick surface.

TIA,

Ryan

Reply to
herlihyboy

You need to use something like CLR brand cleaner which is for calcium, lime and rust stains. I don't know if it will do anything bad to your brick or mortar though. Read the package.

TSP is a good basic cleaner, but CLR attacks the rust chemically. Muratic Acid may also clean it. Its what is used to clean the excess mortar of brick after it is laid.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

I just went to get the name in my closet but the bottle is not there.. This stuff is in a brown plastic bottle with a white cap and I purchased it at walmart in the isle where the fabric dye and the detergent is. It is use for taking rust stains off of clothing. I have used it on bricks, concrete, tile ect. it WORKS. the name is something like Mrs ???? something....sorry I cannot remember the name.

herlihyboy wrote:

Reply to
Italian Mason

Is it Wink? We have that stuff and it comes in a little brown bottle. I may give that a shot, but I was hoping for a less expensive option as it would probably take a dozen bottles of that stuff for the area I need to cover.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Reply to
herlihyboy