Tropical hardwoods and your conscience

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

But the kicker in the NW is that something on the order of 80+% of our gasoline comes from points north yet any time there's a refinery problem in California our prices jump a few cents or a nickel. To the average Owen, it looks like, "any excuse'll do."
Absolutely, though as anyone who took the time to think would have known this, I feel your facts will not influence their "truth."
As to sound levels, I did the transmitters, but I always felt those boys back at the board in the studio were jerking the audio around just to frustrate me.

ETC, SNIP
George wrote:

Years ago the audio and video feeds to the local stations used to be separate facilities and they could control the audio levels ( I used to have to do the adjustments on the "backbones" in Buffalo). Since the network feeds went to satellite the audio and video are carried on the same signal. I could be wrong, but unless the commercial is local I don't think the stations can control the audio level.
Nova wrote:

Also, the typical audio track of commercials is highly compressed. The result is that when you have your sets volume adjusted for a wider dynamic range of audio (usually turned up), a compressed signal will sound a lot louder than what you were watching. Many sets have a choice of audio decoding options stashed somewhere in a setup menu. You can usally play with these to reduce the effect.
-Bruce
TV? Oh, sorry, I was a radio guy. Sadly, old enough to have worked even AM.

have
signal.

Hey! AM still works GREAT!
My favorite station (other than XM <G>) is AM.
It's not just for old folks, I'm 38.
Barry
On 17 Jun 2004 21:45:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
[snip] | |Lowest price around here is $1.71.9, but it ranges up to $1.89.9.
Oh you whiners [g].
Look what I paid a coupla months ago.
http://users.triconet.org/wesandlinda/Ouch.jpg
Wes
Wes responds:

Ouch! To coin a something or other. I have a friend in mid-Cal and another in Nevada who have both told me they were paying $2.39.9 recently, and in Parkersburg, WV I recently paid $1.95.9, which is enough. It had gone up to $2.03.9 in P'burg earlier.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

+ + + It is more complicated than that. Usually it does not matter what the local people think. If they get in the way of the government or bigbusiness the local people are deported or shot.
If the trees cannot be sold as timber, they can be sold as pulp (for paper), or burnt have the ash used as fertilizer. PvR
George wrote:

Not to mention the ones that just cut it down and burn it to clear space for farming or roads.
I hate to say this but perhaps what is needed is something along the lines of an OPEC for wood, that sets the world harvest rates and prices so that the resource remains available.

--
--John

Oh No ... a crippling dependence on imported wood ;-)
Maybe we should be hoping for more global warming. Then we can grow our own teak ... in Kansas.
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Care to provide comparisons of relative magnitudes of usage?

--
--John
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 04:42:37 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

That lends new meaning to the term "log book", Owie. ;)
--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance