Tim Hortons fires an employee over one TimBit.

I don't care if there *is* more to the story... it is an outrage.

Robatoy

And the corporate culture seems to continue it's "F**K YOU" attitude towards it's employees.

No wonder an employee doesn't want to get involved.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's not as if she ate the damn thing herself... even...

I wonder what that TimBit ( 16 cents) will end up costing TimHortons by the time the dust settles... My call? Fire the three managers! Hang them in a public square! Tattoo the words: "I'm a public relations clusterfuck!!!" on their foreheads!

Reply to
Robatoy

Well I agree this is silly. Silly too, is what is not a sensational news story, is not mentioned in the article. I don't think I would be so gullible as to believe that this was not the straw that broke the camels back.

Stupid is the call to fire her over this particular infraction.

Reply to
Leon

Robatoy wrote in news:9670ca79-b34f-40bc-95c1- snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

and made the other employees look bad.

Reply to
Jim Willemin

Exactly... why hang her on a 16 cent TimBit? Obviously they didn't quite think this thing through. Tim Hortons is a corporate clusterfuck. Their coffee sucks too. Their donuts are nothing but fat and sugar. My middle daughter worked at Tim Hortons when she was in highschool. The policy was not to charge cops and EMS types for products. Policy. I don't like that outfit. (In case you didn't notice.)

"I cannot tell a lie. *I* put that envelope under that pile of garbage..."

Reply to
Robatoy

Exactly what I was thinking. I suspect she had other "issues" relative to her job performance and had possibly/probably been warned. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out this isn't the whole story.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Unfortunately for Tim Hortons it *is* the whole story. Besides.. whatever happened to the benefit of the doubt? If there were other issues, why chose this idiotic one?

Reply to
Robatoy

down thissaway, the sole purpose of which is not public good, but to relieve incompetent administrators from the consequences of making decisions.

Reply to
Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote

From a PR perspective, you are absolutely correct. Perception is everything. Even if firing was justified for other reasons, this petty and moronic act will do much damage to their reputation. If there is some backbone or intelligence in this company, somebody could turn this thing around and actually gain from it. Doesn't sound like that is likely though.

This is exactly the kind of thing that is discussed in business schools. Not that it matters much in the real world. Corporate management of many companies is unfeeling or caring. Even if it costs the company business.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

MMmmmm... never quite looked at it that way. I guess it is safe to assume that the managers will be okay then... after all, that is all that seems to matter. Screw the serfs.

There was just an update on the radio that one of the managers admitted that the employee in question had never been written up for anything in 3 years.

Tim Hortons's stuff is shit anyway.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Lee Michaels" wrote

... and "business schools" are arguably at the root of many such problems.

Reply to
Swingman

A "manager" will never be fired for enforcing a rule or policy, no matter how ridiculous. He is, after all, "just doing his job".

... there you have the hidden agenda/thrust behind a "zero tolerance" policy.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Public school zero tolorance policies are not limited to your neck of the woods. Some wild things that permanantly stain a student's record happen all the time over nothing. I wish some outraged parents would sue the bastards. A couple big judgements would reintroduce a little sanity into the process.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

If you read the fine print at the bottom of the article, she was rehired the next day.

Reply to
Bob Alexander

"Swingman" wrote

Well, there is theory....., and there is practice.

Theoretically they learn from other's mistakes.

Realistically, they practice the corporate culture, regardless of consequences, for anybody.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Unfortunately for Tim Hortons it *is* the whole story. Besides.. whatever happened to the benefit of the doubt?

Well, the news article left out the reasons that might have given the store the benefit of the doubt. I don't doubt the store may be of equal blame but with out hearing the whole story the news agency has published a biased article against the company.

If there were other issues, why chose this idiotic one?

Because the whole truth no longer matters if it may down play a sensational head line.

Reply to
Leon

Oooups! LOL

Reply to
Leon

The "Peter Principle" personified.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'll have to respectfully disagree on this point, although things may have changed since I was in business school.

The emphasis was and, I believe, still is on "leading". rather than "managing" to some set of strict rules. It was often emphasized that if the rules were perfect, required no judgement, then there is no need for a manager. Leading requires judgement within an environment of consistency. Subordinates, as a group, are comfortable with a proper "judgement" that fits the situation, much more so than strict adherence to a rule when it is nonsense.

I doubt that the three supervisors went to business school. If they did, they need to go back for a refresher course.

Managers are a dime a dozen. Leaders are hard to make or find.

I see that she was rehired?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher