Tim Hortons fires an employee over one TimBit.

Page 1 of 6
I don't care if there *is* more to the story... it is an outrage.
http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/422864
✖
"Robatoy" wrote:

That's at least a 1,000 "Ah Sh*ts".
And the corporate culture seems to continue it's "F**K YOU" attitude towards it's employees.
No wonder an employee doesn't want to get involved.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

It's not as if she ate the damn thing herself... even...
I wonder what that TimBit ( 16 cents) will end up costing TimHortons by the time the dust settles... My call? Fire the three managers! Hang them in a public square! Tattoo the words: "I'm a public relations clusterfuck!!!" on their foreheads!
Add pictures here
✖
Re-hired:
http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/422936
lol like that helps
wrote:

It's not as if she ate the damn thing herself... even...
I wonder what that TimBit ( 16 cents) will end up costing TimHortons by the time the dust settles... My call? Fire the three managers! Hang them in a public square! Tattoo the words: "I'm a public relations clusterfuck!!!" on their foreheads!
Add pictures here
✖
On May 12, 7:41 pm, "Mike Richardson"

Shaaa...like last week already...
Add pictures here
✖
"Mike Richardson" wrote:

Only a fool would take that deal.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Well I agree this is silly. Silly too, is what is not a sensational news story, is not mentioned in the article. I don't think I would be so gullible as to believe that this was not the straw that broke the camels back.
Stupid is the call to fire her over this particular infraction.
Add pictures here
✖

Exactly... why hang her on a 16 cent TimBit? Obviously they didn't quite think this thing through. Tim Hortons is a corporate clusterfuck. Their coffee sucks too. Their donuts are nothing but fat and sugar. My middle daughter worked at Tim Hortons when she was in highschool. The policy was not to charge cops and EMS types for products. Policy. I don't like that outfit. (In case you didn't notice.)
"I cannot tell a lie. *I* put that envelope under that pile of garbage..."
Add pictures here
✖

Exactly... why hang her on a 16 cent TimBit? Obviously they didn't quite think this thing through. Tim Hortons is a corporate clusterfuck. Their coffee sucks too. Their donuts are nothing but fat and sugar. My middle daughter worked at Tim Hortons when she was in highschool. The policy was not to charge cops and EMS types for products. Policy. I don't like that outfit. (In case you didn't notice.)
"I cannot tell a lie. *I* put that envelope under that pile of garbage..."
I absolutely LOVE that song!
And now I'll go back over to the group W bench
Add pictures here
✖

It is a pretty good song, but THIS is much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Add pictures here
✖
Damnit Robatoy, I sat and watched that whole damn thing waiting for the punchline. Guess I was the punchline.
SteveP. www.stellarbuilders.net

It is a pretty good song, but THIS is much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Add pictures here
✖

Exactly what I was thinking. I suspect she had other "issues" relative to her job performance and had possibly/probably been warned. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out this isn't the whole story.
Dave in Houston
Add pictures here
✖

Unfortunately for Tim Hortons it *is* the whole story. Besides.. whatever happened to the benefit of the doubt? If there were other issues, why chose this idiotic one?
Add pictures here
✖
"Robatoy" wrote

From a PR perspective, you are absolutely correct. Perception is everything. Even if firing was justified for other reasons, this petty and moronic act will do much damage to their reputation. If there is some backbone or intelligence in this company, somebody could turn this thing around and actually gain from it. Doesn't sound like that is likely though.

This is exactly the kind of thing that is discussed in business schools. Not that it matters much in the real world. Corporate management of many companies is unfeeling or caring. Even if it costs the company business.
Add pictures here
✖
"Lee Michaels" wrote

... and "business schools" are arguably at the root of many such problems.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Well, there is theory....., and there is practice.
Theoretically they learn from other's mistakes.
Realistically, they practice the corporate culture, regardless of consequences, for anybody.
Add pictures here
✖

Got a SIL who has an MBA, but who had already made VP before getting. He does good with it. I worked for an MBA. It will never happen again, at least not knowingly. We have an MBA President who has yet to figure out that even governments cannot always spend far more than comes in (I almost wrote "earn,").
Add pictures here
✖
The following was sent to Customer service ============================Subject: Timbit Termination =============================Message: Basic screw up 101. ================================= Lew
Add pictures here
✖

I'll have to respectfully disagree on this point, although things may have changed since I was in business school.
The emphasis was and, I believe, still is on "leading". rather than "managing" to some set of strict rules. It was often emphasized that if the rules were perfect, required no judgement, then there is no need for a manager. Leading requires judgement within an environment of consistency. Subordinates, as a group, are comfortable with a proper "judgement" that fits the situation, much more so than strict adherence to a rule when it is nonsense.
I doubt that the three supervisors went to business school. If they did, they need to go back for a refresher course.
Managers are a dime a dozen. Leaders are hard to make or find.
I see that she was rehired?
Frank
Add pictures here
✖
Frank Boettcher wrote:

Looks like they offered her a job at another location owned by the same franchisee but managed by different people, and offered to make up any financial difficulties caused by the firing.
Looks like Tim Hortons corporate people are stepping in to try and avoid bad press.
Chris
Add pictures here
✖