Tim Hortons fires an employee over one TimBit.

Looks like they offered her a job at another location owned by the same franchisee but managed by different people, and offered to make up any financial difficulties caused by the firing.

Looks like Tim Hortons corporate people are stepping in to try and avoid bad press.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Let 'em know how you feel. I did.

customer snipped-for-privacy@timhortons.com

Reply to
Scott Cox

"Chris Friesen" wrote

I would be much more impressed if they fired those three morons who created this debacle in the first place.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

All three may have been promoted from her position prior to her having it!

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

So, will you offer her a job? The link also had a story that she was hired back. Hmm. In the US, I have been employed for the last 40 years by a variety of companies, some large, some small with the understanding that I could be let go at any time. I was laid off twice and decided that was it and went off on my own. Best decision I ever made. I have my own hours and make a fair wage for what I do.

SWMBO has a brother-in-law who was laid off at the mill twice before he could reach a pensionable age. Went off, got a job that he loved, now is in retirement in Florida. Not sure if he missed that old steel mill job or not. Face it. Job's are NEVER permanent. Unless you are some sort of high-end professional like a doctor or lawyer. You will always be subject to "redeployment" at anytime. Sad fact of life.

The alternative is the French and other European country systems. You can't layoff anyone in France unless you give them a LONG lead time - like 6 months! Guess how much productivity goes down during that time.

Bottom line - be prepared for surprises in life. Didn't John Lennon say: "Life is what happens when you're busy making ther plans?"

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

"Frank Boettcher"

My point was that one learns the "leadership" necessary to successfully run a specific business by first gaining a thorough knowledge of the specific business. IOW, and contrary to current perception, "leadership" is rarely gained by the act of attending "business school".

I've said this before: I theorize that much of what you see wrong with the current corporate mentality started with a secret project during WWII to train "managers" for the ramping up of manufacturing for military/war effort needs, and has since evolved to the point that conventional wisdom dictates a "business/MBA school" graduate needs to know little else but what is taught therein to run any company he heads insofar as whatever widget it produces.

Besides, ever notice that the rise of the "business/MBA school graduate", as a practiced prerequisite for running a business, coincides nicely with total disregard for the customer, doing whatever is expedient for the "bottom line", and the concept of if it ain't illegal, do it, and morality be damned?

(present company excluded, of course )

IMO, we're now arguably seeing the results of this learned behavior in the rapidly obvious conclusion that we've become a second rate nation with a second rate economy ... just check out tonight's global business section for ample evidence of that.

Me, I just want to buy a hamburger that actually looks like the one on the commercials, or the pictures on the wall! :)

Let the little things slide in the name of the bottom line and before you know it you got boxes specifically stating something's inside that isn't ... and folks defending what's a wrong as a right.

Reply to
Swingman

My dad, a retired accountant, always said that going to business school was like taking a correspondence course in boxing.

Reply to
Robatoy

Granted, and I agree wholeheartedly. My point is that the business school doesn't teach improperly, but many corporations rely on the credential so enthusiastically that they fast track their graduates so that they never actually spend the time to learn the business. When the relevant foundation isn't there then they revert to the math because it is easy and comforts them with their decisions. That is a problem that will bring very successful companies to their knees in a flash. I got to live through it.

Of course! I had a fortunate but rare advantage. My MBA came over a period of five years after working from the very bottom over a period of ten years. That early, valuable education eliminated the normal delusions of grandeur that fresh MBA's roll out of school with.

Fat chance my friend!

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

They should fire the 3 morons and give HER the job. She was execising good public relations. The morons wouldn't know good public relations if it kicked them in the behind. I'd say she was management material.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

I'm betting the existence of unspoken epic that could be sandwiched between those lines.

ROTFL ...

Hehe .... "fat. Probably a good thing, that chance. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Recently saw a TV program on PBS describing how the US diet is basically corn based.

Feed lots that fatten cattle using corn produce an obese animal that would probably live little more than a few months past the normal slaughter date, according to the program.

Don't eat much beef anymore, probably just as well.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Wasn't he in that Dr Seuss film called "Horton humps a who" ? phnork.

Reply to
jo4hn

Got a SIL who has an MBA, but who had already made VP before getting. He does good with it. I worked for an MBA. It will never happen again, at least not knowingly. We have an MBA President who has yet to figure out that even governments cannot always spend far more than comes in (I almost wrote "earn,").

Reply to
Charlie Self

I second your motions, all of them.

I don't know whether to recommend closing all grad level business schools, or forcing them to re-examine basic morality, as understand in Christian society (and that comes from what is best described as a non-practicing one-time sort of Christian, me).

Reply to
Charlie Self

And that might just work better as "understood" not "understand."

Time to get out of here and go see about raising some money for Toys for Tots.

Reply to
Charlie Self

The following was sent to Customer service ============================= Subject: Timbit Termination ============================== Message: Basic screw up 101. ==================================

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Charlie Self" wrote

LOL ... you're not one of those who, like me, actually looked forward to SOS for breakfast, and mess hall corned beef at supper?

Funny what the service will do to you/your tastes. I also ate well trading up for cans of C-Ration "scrambled" eggs ... a little Louisiana hot sauce, and my shaker of combined garlic powder/salt and pepper, was all I needed for a gourmand breakfast, relative speaking.

Reply to
Swingman

According to the news, orders from head office have her rehired and working at different Tim Hortons.

Reply to
Upscale

A venison and beer diet keeps me from falling into that trap. 'course I don't know exactly when MY slaughter date is, so I can't know whether I've beaten the odds.

Reply to
Woodie

If you're ever in New England try Friendly's. Theirs come pretty close to the picture.

But Tim Hortons isn't the place to go for a burger--they're the Canadian equivalent of Dunkin Donuts. Often partnered with a Wendys though--if you want a burger you to to the Wendys side, if you want a donut you go to the Tim Horton side.

Reply to
J. Clarke