OT. Employee Tracking

The New York Times has an article behind a paywall about employee tracking. I heard about it while listening to an A&G podcast.

A CBS interview of the author.
There is tracking of even hospice workers as they visit the dying.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It's been around for a long time and is getting more sophisticated. About 15 years ago some IT genius got the idea to block sites where the staff might be wasting time.

was blocked because it is a 's-ex' site. The genius and the attempt didn't last long. Managers became more paranoid when remote work became prevalent. 'What are all those people sitting around in their PJs doing?' Ironically the managers weren't too sure what was being accomplished with everyone at their desks but it gave them a warm fuzzy feeling to see bodies in chairs.

Reply to
rbowman

Tracking can be counter-productive. Everyone works differently. some smooth and steady, others in spurts. What counts is what is done at the end of the day.

Years ago I had a guy, Richard, in my department that would wander the shop, go to the storeroom and stop and chat, etc. At the end of the day, he turned out double what anyone else did.

My boss told me to keep him from leaving the department. His production went to crap but not so bad to write him up.

Couple of weeks later there was new tooling for his machine so instead of just setting it up, he asked for the engineer to help. Engineer comes and spends hours but could not set it up. He calls the toolmaker to come the next day and the two of them fiddled for a couple of hours. Nothing but they went to lunch.

Twenty minutes later, Richard comes over, puts a part on my desk, perfect, to the print. He then asked "can I go to the storeroom for gloves?". Yes, Richard, you can. Any time you need them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Family. A dying person under hospice care is rarely alone in their house.

The average duration of hospice care is 78 days.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Why shouldn't they track the employees to check that they are actually doing what they are paid to do and not just having a sleep in the stock room or f****ng security etc ?

Reply to
Jamesy

What is none at the end of the day is what counts. I often took a short nap at work. My work was always done.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And the best way to check that with hospice workers is with tracking.

But with plenty of workers it isnt. Same with security, there is a reason they used to have to leave a card in the door they checked.

Reply to
Jamesy

The worst of the employees never do like to be made to do the work they are being paid to do.

Of course, but there are negative consequences when the employer does not ensure that the worst of the employees can't get away with not bothering to work.

We aren't just talking about homes with HOSPICE workers.

That's not a hospice worker.

Reply to
Jamesy

Some jobs are easy to measure, such as working on an assembly line. I can't imagine doing that.

OTOH, most jobs have other parameters. Claims handled, customers called, etc. If you work at the widget factory and the worker production goal is to make 100 widgets a day, do you care how it get done? If you do less than 85 you can be disciplined. I took an extra break, took an extra 15 minutes at lunch, had a few coffees, but turned in 101 widgets, everyone is happy.

Boss cracks down. One coffee a day, no extra break time, must be at the work station. I struggle and at the end of the day turn in 90 widgets. I'm above the minimum but the company lost 10% production. The boss gets a raise because he keeps good control over his department.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A company I worked for sub-contracted for companies like GTE and DEC. One job was assembling grow lights and it was an assembly line. Typical output ran about 900 units a day, which exceeded the projections so everybody was happy. The girls, excuse me, assembly persons, spent the day smoking and joking. (yeah, in the '70s most everybody had a ashtray on their bench or desk.)

One day our fearless leader was kidding around and said 'If you guys break 1000 units drinks are on me down at the social club.' There was a short discussion and the girls said 'You're on'.

The next day they had 1000 in the box plus a few extra about 30 minutes before quitting time. They shut the line down, took their aprons off, and said 'Let's go'. They also let us know it wasn't going to happen again.

It was minimum wage for most of the work force but we had quite a few that turned down higher paying jobs in some of the other businesses in the area where they knew they'd have foremen on their ass all day. The extra fifteen or twenty cents an hour wasn't worth the aggro.

Reply to
rbowman

Those days are pretty much gone. Back in the 60s a couple times a year we went to the Italian Club. Similar circumstances, end of quarter goals, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But that is what the tracking is for, the worst employees.

No need to track those that do their job.

That's not what the tracking is for except to some extent with the cops who can end up in less predictable places depending on what the criminals they are pursuing do when running from them.

Must explain why security has had tracking for well over half a century now.

I don't believe that there is all that much of that.

Clearly not with the worst of the employees,

Separate matter entirely to tracking.

And they have figured out that the worst of the employees need to be tracked.

Certainly not.

That wasn't what I commented on. And even with those who do visit the dying in their own homes, those aren't stupid enough to not visit anyone, just don't visit as many as they should.

And when some of the dying end up in hosptial again when the visitor has done a poor job of looking after them, the tracking can be used to check how much time they spent with the dying person. And plenty don't have family in the house they are dying in.

Reply to
Jamesy

The Dover Social Club was mostly Greek and a step up from the American-Hellenic Club. Lot of Greeks in Dover, not too many Italians.

The first company I worked for threw a Christmas party to remember. They also hosted a clam steam on Labor Day at a grove that specialized in clam steams. The was also the Christmas and Thanksgiving turkeys or hams.

There was a in-house union. I even wound up being VP due to being a little too stoned at a meeting to avoid the election. Some hotheads were discontented and brought in the IBEW like the big companies like GE had. Cancel all of the above.

The company eventually went under. For that matter GE Schenectady is pretty much gone. The union said 'They can't move. They've got too much invested in infrastructure.' Wrong. Freezing nuclear plants didn't help when you're in the large steam turbine business either.

Reply to
rbowman

Plenty do, most obviously with cops, utubers, security, truck drivers etc.

Corse not.

Plenty have enough sense to realise that tracking is necessary.

You are getting silly now.

That last is just plain wrong.

Must explain why cops are tracked.

Irrelevant to whether it makes sense to track some employees.

Irrelevant to whether it makes sense to track some employees.

But tracking works best with plenty of jobs.

Irrelevant to whether it makes sense to track some employees.

You never did have a point.

Easy to claim.

No.

Duh. The reason for the tracking is that some skive off every chance they get.

No.

Reply to
Jamesy

Most jurisdictions track their cop cars all the time and all the cops know that.

Yes.

Not usually.

Not usually, tho some do.

Most operations who do track their trucks track all of one type and the driver knows that.

Keep track of where the monkey goes.

Most don't use anything that primitive anymore.

Those driving the cars. So the system knows where they are so they can assign a new job to one close to where the pickup needs to be done.

Stiff shit for them.

Same with clocking on and clocking off at work.

Tracking does.

It usually isnt anymore.

No one only tracks the worst ones.

There is no goal post and nothing has been moved.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

You clearly didnt when you were security.

How odd that all those I listed don't.

Nope.

It was always useless.

But is used because it works best.

Nope.

That isnt an insult, it is a fact.

Yes to both.

Quite a variety.

They get to like that or lump it.

Correct.

That too.

Reply to
Jamesy

"You're all being tracked. There's a tracker in your truck/car."

Shoot, cops are probably tracked through their bodycams.

Employers are even using keyboard loggers on employees.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton