Tiger Maple?!

"toller" wrote in news:JQaje.606$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Yep, wood like that still exists. I've made several pieces out of comparable wood. Here's one example:

(a couple of others on that webpage are similar)

Believe it or not the curly is less expensive for me than many other woods (for example it's comparable to good quality cherry for me, both are pushing $8 a bf).

Much of the maple I've seen with figure like that is a softer maple (the lumber contact I have calls it "red leaf" soft maple). At least in my source, the hard maple tends to have a finer curl pattern than does the soft maple.

You could darken the curl that way by using a dark amber or brown dye followed by oil and shellac. Maybe in an antique piece they used linseed oil which is naturally darkening with time.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Very pretty

I am building a cabinet with curly cherry right now. I had planned on just using BLO and letting time work it's magic. Any recommendations on bringing out the figure?

Reply to
toller

"toller" wrote in news:fUcle.1228$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

On all the cherry I've ever done (either figured or plain), I've always used oil+shellac or a wiping finish like Waterlox. I always tend toward an oil-containing finish to improve figure. Perhaps others will post a suggestion as well.

It sounds like a beautiful cabinet. Good luck with it -- I hope you'll post a picture or two when you are done.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Reply to
nospambob