Tiger Maple?!

Page 2 of 2

Curly Woods wrote:

Guess I'll just have to do some quarter sawn and flat sawn from these logs to see what I get. It's like opening a present to see what's inside.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Yep, wood like that still exists. I've made several pieces out of comparable wood. Here's one example:
http://home.earthlink.net / ~nateperkins1/Woodworking/projects/sarahcradle.htm (a couple of others on that webpage are similar)
Believe it or not the curly is less expensive for me than many other woods (for example it's comparable to good quality cherry for me, both are pushing $8 a bf).
Much of the maple I've seen with figure like that is a softer maple (the lumber contact I have calls it "red leaf" soft maple). At least in my source, the hard maple tends to have a finer curl pattern than does the soft maple.
You could darken the curl that way by using a dark amber or brown dye followed by oil and shellac. Maybe in an antique piece they used linseed oil which is naturally darkening with time.

Very pretty

using BLO and letting time work it's magic. Any recommendations on bringing out the figure?

On all the cherry I've ever done (either figured or plain), I've always used oil+shellac or a wiping finish like Waterlox. I always tend toward an oil-containing finish to improve figure. Perhaps others will post a suggestion as well.
It sounds like a beautiful cabinet. Good luck with it -- I hope you'll post a picture or two when you are done.
Not for cherry but Jeff Jewitt has suggested for curly maple a dark dye followed with sanding then clear coating. Variation on a theme if you will.
On Thu, 26 May 2005 06:05:18 GMT, Nate Perkins