Tiger Direct

No TV They say TV shipped 9/18 (7-10 days out) Now 11 days later and they send me a survey asking how I like my TV. (that didn't end well) Google hits me too. Worse review. I had fun with that.

Then I decide to call.

20 minutes and a lot of "press ,", bad music and reasons why I should choose Tiger direct, it occurs to me "why am I waiting on the phone to tell them I am tired of waiting on a TV"? So I hung up.

I tried Email and the response was some bullshit about problems at the shipping department

Were they lying when they said it went out on 9/18 or are they lying now?

1900 EST and nothing back from TD
Reply to
gfretwell

No tracking number?

Reply to
Vic Smith

Buyer beware. They have had a bad rep for many yrs...most use NewEgg.

Reply to
bob_villa

I never bought anything from TD. Couldn't you use on-line chat? Regardless of shipping method, no tracking no.? Newegg or Amazon always comes through for me. They always send email on every step of shipping. Order accepted>>Order filled>>Order shippied with ETA and tracking no. Amazon knows me, I just use one key ordering.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Have you contacted your credit card folks that there may be a fraudulent charge on your card???

Reply to
hrhofmann

When I punch that number in it basically says don't call us, we will call you. My caller ID log says they never called. (I verified every number in there)

I am calling them tomorrow. Tiger may have given them the wrong number although it is right on my copy of the invoice.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nothing yet. I check card bill very carefully every month. I can cancel one key order option any time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I've ordered tons of stuff from TD and have never had a problem ... even a large screen TV. I hate their rebate stuff. I've heard from a friend that they never make good on the rebates. Again, I've never really had a problem. Ok, once the rebate didn't come through. I called and they told me what to do, I sent them copies of everything and got the rebate. Not bad.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I agree...I switched over to NewEgg years ago.

Biggest problem I had with Tiger Direct though was that they did not volunteer any info on exactly how I was supposed to get a rebate on such items.

That said, NewEgg was not 100% perfect either, but the one time I had a problem it was eventually resolved

Reply to
philo

[snip]

I have made numerous purchases over the years from Tiger Direct and have never had a problem.

OToH, I find that their best and highest use for large purchases such as a television is to use their pricing to your advantage at a local store.

We have several Tiger Direct brick and mortar stores in the Chicagoland area. When I went to buy my first big screen flat panel Sony, Best Buy had it for ~ $3,100. Tiger Direct had it for $2,250.

I wasn't sure that Best Buy would honor it for their price match guarantee, but they did. Walked out of Best Buy that night with the television loaded in the van.

I don't doubt that some folks have problems with TD, or BB, or Home Depot, or Lowes. Anecdotal incidents such as these are going to happen to everyone at some point. Only when they indicate a course of conduct by the business do they become a real problem and that problem is typically self-curing. Bad businesses do not survive long in this atmosphere of instant communication (and lawsuits!)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Just a note here :

If ever reporting a problem where you were charged for something you did not receive...do not tell your credit company there was a mistake...

always use the word "fraud". I found out the long way that that's the fasted way to get the issue solved.

Reply to
philo

I made the mistake of ordering a motherboard from them once, the board they sent was a different model from both the written description as well as the image on their webpage. Apparently they ran out of the one I ordered and substituted the inferior one.

I ended up having to pay shipping to send the thing back.

That was my first, and last order with Tiger Direct.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

They are not very willing to keep the customers aware of how to do it...to get a rebate you need to go to their site and print out the rebate form for the particular item.

Best to do that before you order.

First few times I thought they'd do it automatically. >wrong<

Eventually I called them and they said they'd mail me the form.

They did but they waited until after the 30 day period it was good for. >wrong<

Reply to
philo

UPDATE. I talked to the shipping company and they have a phone number for me that has not been active since the Reagan administration. No idea where that came from since the number on my Pay Pal account is right as is the one on all of the Emails from Tiger., I am still waiting for a call back from the local shipping office.,

I hope I do not have this much trouble with the rebate.

Reply to
gfretwell

I use Newegg for nearly all my PC purchases, especially since Amazon started charging local taxes. A couple months ago as part of a new PC build I bought a package of 4

8 gig mem sticks from Newegg. One of the sticks was bad but they want them all back. The RMA was painless. They e-mailed a posting label and sent me a new pack of four, which I got 2 days later. Only time I had to RMA anything with Newegg, and I've spent thousands with them.
Reply to
Vic Smith

Did they charge you a 15% restocking fee?

When I first discovered NewEgg and Tiger Direct, only NE had a restocking fee. Now, several yrs later, TD has essentially that same restocking fee:

----------

IMPORTANT NOTE:

In the event that the product you are returning does NOT meet the requirements described in this document, we will photograph the merchandise and packaging, and prepare a detailed summary of our determination as to why the return was denied, the product(s) will be deemed not eligible for return and may be returned to you or be subject to a 15% restocking fee.

----------

nb

Reply to
notbob

I've bought far more from NewEgg than from Tiger Direct, but the Tiger Direct transactions were trouble free.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I dont like Newegg. because they make it very difficult to get the price for an item on their website. If they cant put the price up front, I' move on. I do the same at rummage / garage sales. If I have to ask the price for every damn thing, I leave. When I shop for anything, price is one of my first concerns. Even if I like something, I wont buy it if it's too expensive.

Just like last week, I went to O'Reilies auto parts to get a replacement auto dome light bulb. I found a two-pack of them wrapped in plastic on cardboard, (clamshell). $7 for that pack. Although I needed a bulb, I did not need two of them. But $7 is outrageous and I was not going to pay that price. I went to another store and bought one bulk bulb for about one dollar, and did not have to fight opening the damn clamshell package.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

File a written, mailed (not e-mailed, not online complaint form at the card issuer's website) complaint to your credit card issuer, to the special address they list for billing problems. Explicitly say you have a "billing error" and that you have "tried working in good faith" with the merchant to resolve the problem. By mailing your complaint to that address, you'll legally obligate them in ways that a phoned, e-mailed, or written complaint delivered anywhere else will not, like make them reply to you within 30 days and fix the problems in 90 days or explain why they think there's no problem. If they don't do that, then they can't collect the first $50 of the amount in dispute (they have to pay it to you, even if they later refund the whole amount charged). It doesn't matter whether they can collect from the merchant or not, contrary to what they may claim, and actually they can always collect because merchant credit card accounts require setting up an "insurance" fund in case the merchant can't or won't pay. This is why you always pay with a credit card and have the merchant directly charge it. If you instead go through a payment service like Pay Pal, you may not have this protection. Debit cards are the worst for this.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

NewEgg is better, but TigerDirect has significantly cleaned up its act since the days when it mailed out printed catalogs. However I've never returned anything to TigerDirect, and I do use ShopRunner to assure that I won't have to pay for return shipping. TigerDirect rebates are now handled well, and almost always they pay in 4-5 weeks.

Reply to
larrymoencurly