Phone mute - how does that work

Waiting to get through to Plusnet's support, they play music whilst waiting. If their is any noise in the room, the music mutes, however they also break into the music to make a regular voice announcement - the voice announcements are NOT affected/ NOT muted by noise in the room. Best guess is that Plusnet's system listens for noise on the line and mutes just the music.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 18:45:23 GMT, Harry Bloomfield coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

I don't really know why they are doing this but I am prepared to engage in speculation.

It occurs to me that their music on hold might be configured to mute when inbound audio is heard in case a valid DTMF tone is sent by you to their IVR, so the music does not swamp it.

In theory this is not necessary as the TX and RX is separated out, including in the "hybrid" circuit of your telephone, but in practice there is always some leakage, some of it intentional (sidetone)

On a related matter I have pondered whether, when you call an office dealing with "benefits" or insurance claims, if they record the call while you are waiting to be put through to the department, in the "hope" that you will conspire with someone else in the room about the fraud you are engaged with.

Reply to
Graham.

Are you sure, I assume this is a speaker phone. Most of these have a monitor to stop feedback, and it affects everything. You can often here this on skype calls too, Awfully annoying effect. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I thought I was paranoid, but as fare as I'm aware the monitoring of telephone calls on hold is not a practice done by the dept of work and pension. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff formulated on Wednesday :

That doesn't happen at all, other than affecting the music.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield