Phone mute - how does that work

Waiting to get through to Plusnet's support, they play music whilst waiting. If their is any noise in the room, the music mutes, however they also break into the music to make a regular voice announcement - the voice announcements are NOT affected/ NOT muted by noise in the room. Best guess is that Plusnet's system listens for noise on the line and mutes just the music.
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 18:45:23 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

I don't really know why they are doing this but I am prepared to engage in speculation.
It occurs to me that their music on hold might be configured to mute when inbound audio is heard in case a valid DTMF tone is sent by you to their IVR, so the music does not swamp it.
In theory this is not necessary as the TX and RX is separated out, including in the "hybrid" circuit of your telephone, but in practice there is always some leakage, some of it intentional (sidetone)
On a related matter I have pondered whether, when you call an office dealing with "benefits" or insurance claims, if they record the call while you are waiting to be put through to the department, in the "hope" that you will conspire with someone else in the room about the fraud you are engaged with.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Never seen that and I have been on hold quite a bit lately due to changing various service providers, in fact due to changing all but the local council with some glitches with every single one.

Presumably to reassure you that you are still on hold and that the call hasn't got lost in the system or something.
One of my banks has very elegant and quiet music on hold, but the voice announcements spoil that by blasting thru as usual.

There isnt any other way to do it unless I am missing your point completely.

Particularly with the longer times on hold, I would prefer to be able to do what I normally do and have my system mute what I am currently listening to when they eventually come off hold and a human is there to talk to. One of ours is notorious for an hour on hold at times and another isnt much faster to answer. And neither is a govt dept.

Surely a decent system should have a good enough pll filter so that the tones can be detected thru almost any background noise.

If they did, you'd expect that some pissed off employee would have spilled the beans on them by now.
Rod Speed explained :

When ringing such organisations, I normally put it on loudspeaker. The reason I noticed it, was that the music would constantly break up. I traced it to the phones mike picking up noise in the room from the TV and me moving about. I then progressed to experimenting, by tapping the mic, whereupon it would mute and covering the mic where the music would play without a break. The voice announcements were never muted.
It was annoying in as much as I thought when it went quiet, I was about to get put through. Next time I need to ring, I will resort to a bit of bluetack over the mic..

I always do with everyone except when out and about in public.

Never seen that at all with the panasonic cordless phones or the iphones.

So presumably that difference must be at their end.

Weird.
I thought I was paranoid, but as fare as I'm aware the monitoring of telephone calls on hold is not a practice done by the dept of work and pension. Brian
--
----- -
Are you sure, I assume this is a speaker phone. Most of these have a monitor to stop feedback, and it affects everything. You can often here this on skype calls too, Awfully annoying effect. Brian

That doesn't happen at all, other than affecting the music.

No it doesn’t. I make all my calls on speakerphone except when out and about in public and don’t get that effect at all. With the Panasonic cordless phones, the only effect I get is that with very noisy backgrounds like with some call centers, they do get broken audio from my end, but I don’t hear anything at all with muting of stuff from their end.
Don’t even get that effect with the iphones.