Speaking of clamps

Page 1 of 5
Woodpeckers has a sale on Bessey K-body Revo clamps.
I see between a 30~45% discount depending on the size of the clamp.
Note the clamps are sold in pairs and the pricing is for pairs.
http://www.woodpeck.com/besseykbody.html?_bta_tid=3.AIdT.CBalag.Fnlf.AWmfCQ..ArVprw.b..l.BtDZ.n...jmKphQ&_bta_c=ehb2cuwcdtkiweko67wu2acyhmxfm
On 11/4/2015 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:

Looks like HD has them for about the same.
On 11/4/2015 9:19 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like HD is simply lowering the price and not putting them on sale. AND while HD is a touch more expensive than the sale price on the small clamps they are also a touch cheaper on the big clamps. ;~)
MAYBE people have simply quit paying way too much for these style clamps and Bessey is having to lower them. I recall buying a 4 pack plus extender bars for about $130 a few years ago, that lately was around $200. Hopefully Jorgensen will follow suite with the Cabinet Masters.
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:28:42 -0600

name sounds too fancy for a clamp makes me very suspicious

You obviously haven't ever used a K-body clamp. The older K-body clamps (pre-Revo) are excellent clamps. The new Revo clamps seem to have some nice capabilities, but I'm not sure they're worth twice the price (after the woodpecker discount) of the original or updated (with the tail hook) K-bodies.
On 11/4/2015 10:24 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Agreed. The new style K Body clamps do have a larger clamping surface so that appeals to me BUT the "tail hook" could be much much better. The closest competitors Jet and Jorgensen have movable feet which makes using a long clamp on a short work surface easier. If your work surface is shorter then the Bessey clamp it does no good at all.
On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 16:24:20 GMT snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

but it is still a clamp and those marketers got ahold and decided the needed a fancy name and therefore losing focus on the main intent
they may be good but i still get wary when a clamp is no longer called a clamp
On 11/4/2015 5:49 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Partial marketing, charge what the market will pay. They would be fool's to not try. They are in business to make money and probably doing quite well. Just like Festool, not for every one.

But it is called a clamp, Bessey K-Body clamp. The name is the brand, style clamp, and what it is. Just like Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps. Even the aluminum clamps you are looking at HF have a name other than "clamp".
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:49:01 -0800, Electric Comet

DO you believe all clamps are exactly the same? Aren't different names for different clamps useful? I really don't care what the name is, as long as it's useful to describe the widget.

On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 19:36:07 -0500

bessey kbody revo tail hook clamp
no idea what it means and i do not care as i will never buy them
shows loss of focus at the company on what matters
i have seen it first hand and ego is involved and given precedence over keeping product and market focus
Electric Comet wrote:

Marketers know if they have 4/5 of the brands/styles of an item out there, they will get a higher percentage of sales, compared to competitors. That may also help explain seeing different "makes" of essentially the same cars, as well as the great number of types of cereal in your grocery store.

On 11/4/2015 7:20 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

You left out plastic, steel and aluminum. Jeez are you really this slow to catch on?

Good more for us. ;~)

And yet the clamp has been the gold standard for decades.

Again, ignorance and or lack of experience.
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 20:14:43 -0600

maybe in your mind but you have shown you buy over priced stuff what ever floats your boat some people just are not happy unless they spend more for stuff
bar clamps using black pipe will always be my gold standard

This is true but in my case my tools help me make money and in that light are not over priced considering the contribution that they make.

Probably so.
On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:24:57 -0800, Electric Comet

The bar bends and the jaws are far from parallel. The jaws don't bite into the pipe and slip. No thank you! I threw all my pipe clamps out years ago.

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 20:33:08 -0500

the pipes too or just the clamps also take note of the use of bar and pipe which are different made this mistake myself
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 09:05:47 -0800, Electric Comet

Of course the pipes too. What good is one piece without the other?

You said pipe clamp. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that you knew what you were talking about.

On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 12:52:57 -0500

that trash could be treasure for some
throwing away perfectly good tools is not something i have seen often but would like to see often from others so i can grab them
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 10:17:36 -0800, Electric Comet

I highly doubt it. I dragged them around with me much too long as it was.

"Pipe clamp" and "perfectly good tool" doesn't belong in the same sentence.

If you have a pipe cutter and a hand threader, the pipe can still be useful. Black or galvy.