Speaking of clamps

I've used old pipe for plumbing repair, handrails, gas-line repair, etc.

YMMV.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Black pipe for water? I've never even owned a house with galvanized. All of the handrails have been wood and, yes, I did have black pipe gas lines for a short while, though I'd never do the work myself. It's still not work carrying pipe around the country in case, some day, you'll be forced to live in an ancient house. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I've seen (and I have) pipe clamps made from galvy. And my house is plumbed with galvy, so it's been useful to me. I also have pipe clamps made from black iron, but didn't need to repurpose them when I extended the gas from the furnace to the kitchen for a gas stove.

If you don't need it, donate it to a building materials recycling place, if you have one nearby.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

well okay not the traditional route

Reply to
Electric Comet

Galvanized doesn't make good pipe clamps. Code enforcers tend to frown on DIY gas installation.

I'd never heard of such a thing at the time. I probably would have.

Reply to
krw

I understand, now. Up until a couple of years ago I'd never heard of one and they certainly weren't any close (in the state?). We only had one HD and the other lumber yards were so poor that the HD put them out of business.

Reply to
krw