Source for bandsaw blades in Canada?

Page 1 of 2
I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere near the size I specified.
I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.
TIA...
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

We were always taught to anneal the welds thoroughly to "soften" the joint. Perhaps you need to discuss this with the poor quality people making them.
--------------
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
I tried a local "weld to length" shop here in Saskatoon... 50% of the welds broke before I uncoiled the blade and the other 50% are nowhere near the size I specified.
I don't want to pay shipping, customs, etc from the USA.
TIA...
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Surely Lee Valley sells bandsaw blades?
In any event, shipping charges through the U.S. Postal Service are pretty reasonable -- and the last time I checked on it, Canada Post charged a flat $5 fee for customs brokerage on anything sent through the mail. Your biggest problem there is going to be finding a vendor that will ship via the USPS.
If you buy something from the U.S. and have it shipped by UPS, you'll get skinned alive: their shipping charges from the U.S. to Canada are *much* higher than for comparable distances within the U.S., and they charge such outrageous customs brokerage fees that they've been the subject of at least two lawsuits in Canadian courts.
I believe that FedEx isn't quite as bad in that respect as UPS, but both of them are much more expensive for international shipping than the USPS.

Not the size I need (67 5/16)

I'm quite familiar with UPS and their usurious ways, Fedex and DHL aren't a lot better.
Any experience with Fastenal? They have a presence here in Saskatoon, but I'm not familiar with their quality.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Can't be any worse than the local weld shop.
Lew

True enough...
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

<snip> Fastenal sells band saw blades??

According to their web site, they do, but mostly metal cutting.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

they sell bandsaw blades, though.
I've become fond of Olson band saw blades -- I get better results than with Timberwolf, at about half the price.
www.olsonsaw.com
Your size isn't listed on the website, but you might ask them if it's available anyway (or could be made).
They list three dealers in Canada; only the first one is listed as selling band saw blades, but I'd imagine the others could order one...
House of Tools Calgary, Alberta Product: Scroll/Band Phone: 800-661-3987
R&D Bandsaws Brampton, Ont. Product: Scroll Phone: 800-461-3895
Stockade Guelph, Ont. Product: Scroll Phone: 800-463-0920

R&D Bandsaws looks like a winner... Good selection and prices for custom welds.
Thanks, Doug.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 20:37:33 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Here in the states they are rather slow, and incredibly aggravating to deal with for onesies and twosies. The savings come from not paying shipping if you pick it up at a local branch office. (Big customers get free delivery...)
http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex?action=international&country
As far as woodworking band saw blades, check if they have them in the house brand. Fastenal brand drill bits, taps, etc are half way decent. Not top of the line but better than the no-name crap that is available every where. In the US they claim they can get anything McMaster or MSC sells. Don't know if that is true in Canada.
--
William

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:15:56 -0500, Doug Miller

Lee Valley sells Viking Brand (previously identified as the Timber Wolf brand) saw blades. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p0276&cat=1,41036,41037
They also sell a line of resaw blades. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p0071&cat=1,41036,41037
And, should anyone want to splice their own blades. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pA049&cat=1,41036,41048

We have many things shipped up from the US. What we have found is to avoid UPS ground. Have it shipped overnight air. It will look expensive but in the long run it is cheaper than ground with brokerage. Air is brokerage prepaid, you will only be stuck with HST. Another thing we have found is if you have it shipped to a company name, you will get a break on their billing. You don't have to be a real company, you can make up a name, such as "[your last name] Enterprises". In the long run if you can arrange it go with USPS which becomes Canada Post when it crosses the border, they charge between $5.00 and $8.00 to clear customs, --- that is if they even bother with the paperwork --- the last two shipments came across the border with no fees due.
On 12/16/2011 7:16 PM, EXT wrote:

Just ordered some items from thejigstore.com and they were shipped from Canada via "Canadian Post", delivered here in Texas by USPS.
... now that I know how that works, I will be worried like hell the next time. :(
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

That's been covered in this thread already.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

When I needed a bandsaw blade of a size Lee Vally did not stock, they gave me the name of this place.
http://www.tufftooth.com /
I bought a few blades from them. I'm no expert on bandsaw blades but from the use I've made out of them I'd say they are as good as any I've had.
Bonus Timmies coupon to boot. :)
LdB
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:37:04 -0600, Dave Balderstone

http://www.bcsaw.com
Located in Toronto.
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:54:28 -0800, Jim Weisgram

I tried to have them pick up sharpen and return a tablesaw blade. They refused because it wasn't a business address. This was a few years ago. Don't know if they still have that policy, but one may need to go down there in person to fill your needs.

I have an order in with R&D Bandsaws <http://www.tufftooth.com
From their web page, BC Saw seems to be a supplier to manufacturers, which I am not.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:27:42 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Originally I learned about BC Saw in Fine Woodworking, recommended by Micheal Fortune (who lives in Ontario), but I haven't ordered from them personally. Maybe they no longer sell retail, I don't know. But it is easy to email them.
Michael Fortune talking about BC Saw some years back (issue 201), and in regards to a 1/2" resaw blade:
"This type of blade only costs about $8 and can be resharpened for about $3.50. I use BC Saw and Tool, where each order is custom made and the welds are uniformly excellent (www.bcsaw.com). A poor weld will compromise the performance of even the most expensive blade."