Sketup Question

Page 9 of 9

I don't 'check' your grammar, Jack. Your errors are glaring.
I also don't denigrate SU users. I applaud them. I have no reason to switch to SU as I am happy with what I have. I also own an ultra-sonic thickness meter, just to find out how thick your skull and how thin your skin is. Does that interest you at all?
And why WOULD I waste my time learning an unfamiliar, inadequate piece of software? Free or not?
What is your point, Jack?
Robatoy wrote:

OK, let me rephrase... Perhaps your time would be better wasted pointing out blatant spelling errors on usenet.

Didn't say you did or didn't. You do denigrate SU, never missing an opportunity to point out things it (SU) can't do, whilst admitting not wanting to "waste time" learning it. This generally ends up with Swingman wasting his time pointing out that SU does do what you say it won't.

Good for you!

Only to see how wrong you can be, even with fancy gadgets!

My point is you have to be dumb as dirt to point out the inadequacies of something to which you state you are unfamiliar. It keeps getting worse as Swingman, and others, often point out how little you seem to know about the application.
So, as I have already said, the fact you are familiar with some expensive software, spent cash at school to learn all about CAD is fine, and good for you. Brag about it, complain about it all you want.
Denigrating a hunk of software you are unfamiliar with is just dumb.
--
Jack
"Jack Stein" wrote

Robatoy is a self confessed tool snob. But his comments are interesting, maybe even old school. But he does have skills. And he does let you know what he thinks.
But Robatoy comments, whatever they may be, hardly qualifies for the "denigrating" characterization. His comments are a refreshing alternative/counterweight to the SU cultists. ;_)
We should be encourageing alternative perspectives in this forum. Not "denigrating" those folks who have a different viewpoint.

Was that a bottle of scotch or a bottle of cognac I was supposed to send you?
=0)
"Robatoy" offered
wrote:

Was that a bottle of scotch or a bottle of cognac I was supposed to send you? ==================================== Cognac?? Dis you say COGNAC?? That brings back memories!! My dad brought back a bottle of cognac from WWII. I drank it. I just couldn't help myself. Mmmmm...., good. <smacks lips>
Lee Michaels wrote:

No problem with that. I have no problem telling people what I think either. Few participating in any news group have a problem telling you what they think.

I've yet to hear him say much good about SU. Once you figure out he never "wasted any time" learning it, it starts to becomes less interesting, more amusing.
Denigrate: to treat or represent as lacking in value or importance; belittle; disparage: to denigrate someone's contributions to a project.
There could be a better word for this but for someone like myself, that doesn't know the difference between "hall" and "haul", I believe I done good.
His comments are a refreshing alternative/counterweight to the SU cultists. ;_)
That's ok for you to feel that way. My feeling is when someone never misses an opportunity to point out self perceived faults with something he admittedly knows little about, it is not really refreshing, unless you are easily amused as I am. As far as "SU cultists go, I find that almost as amusing as alternative views from those unfamiliar.

That's one perspective. My perspective is blandly encouraging alternative viewpoints would boring. I guess one mans entertainment is another man's pablum. That's why I don't read every message thread, nor reply to every messenger.
I'm glad I encouraged your alternative juices...
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

Can we keep it clean in here please? :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Oops, I checked and the features I was talking about was in the Stylebuilder module (not the Layout module) of Sketchup Pro. To quote the website, "We put the Sketch back into Sketchup."

Ummm My Sketchup does angular dimensions.
MikeWhy wrote:

One of the thing that I could never get use to in version 6 was the three dimension presentation. Each time I used it my edges were in different plans.
With version 7 this seems to be corrected and you can make some pretty good old fashion 2d drawings.
"Lee Michaels" wrote

Just give it a try and see how it works for you ... occasionally use SU to send drawings to machine shops for beam/truss hangers that we need to have fabricated for embedding into foundations.
Admittedly very simple fabrications, the one below was drawn on my laptop, real time on site, while the Engineer watched, and the pdf export was sent using my cell phone as a tethered modem ... a couple of years back what took 30 minutes would have taken a week, and cost a helluva lot more.
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/SaddleHanger.pdf
Basically, for 2D shop drawings like this I haven't found anything that I can't do quicker with SU than with my CAD programs, and, as you say, the added and easy 3D ability is just a mouse move away and an added plus.
BTW, the machine shop didn't blink an eye ... then again, I'm always amazed to find a machine shop that actually does business via e-mail and even knows what a pdf file is. :)
YMMV ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08