Sketchup Question

Page 1 of 2
Since I'd never heard of Sketchup, I checked it out and found it to be $600. Is that the version you guys are using? There is a student version for $49, but it's only good for a year.
Sketchup Make is free. Could that be the one you're using?
On 7/19/2013 6:10 AM, mcp6453 wrote:

Sketchup Make "is" the free version and will satisfy 95% of your needs if you are a beginner.
Keep in mind that when Sketchup 2013 was first introduced a few months ago you had to down load and use for 8 hours the pro version and after 8 hours of use either pay for the pro version or convert into the Make version.
Having said that I think you can now down load the Make version with out having to install and use the pro version too. All I recall is that I had the first release and conversion to the Make version was a bit convoluted.
On 7/19/2013 8:35 AM, Leon wrote:

I use Sketchup version 7 and it meets 100% of my needs. I decided to quit upgrading until/unless something spiffy was mentioned that I really wanted. The $600 version never had anything I wanted and is (was?) about 99% exactly the same as the free version. I have had freeware/shareware like this go bad after x number of upgrades, so I learned from experience to be somewhat careful about upgrades unless you have a reason. I never heard of the MAKE version, but I've been ignoring version 8 for quite a while, with no regrets so far. Version 7 works fine on my Win7 64 bit PC and unless I get a new computer someday that refuses to correctly run version 7, I'm not likely to upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto.
--
Jack
On 7/19/2013 9:48 AM, Jack wrote:

FWIW, the 2013 version is the next in line after version 7
What is really nice about version 2013 is that it does not replace 7, you can run both at the same time, no risk. If you run both be sure to save older files under a new name or location if you do so in 2013.
On 7/19/2013 12:11 PM, Leon wrote:

Wot, did you skip 8?
;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

YES, LOL sorry Jack, I have already forgotten 8, thought 7 was the last version.

I've not found the place where Sketchup can be downloaded for free.
** Lonesome Dove
On 7/21/2013 11:21 AM, Lonesome Dove wrote:

I did not bother to follow the yellow brick road, but you should be able to download Sketchup Make (the new name for the 2013 free version) at this link:
http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 7/21/2013 11:43 AM, Swingman wrote:

Perhaps a bit shorter,
http://www.sketchup.com/download
and choose "Personal Projects"
and ckeck "I agree to SketchUp Make's license agreement"

Went there, did that. No "Personal Projects", no "I agree to SketchUP Make's license agreement" All I get is a blank page. That's all I've ever gotten. Trust me, I've tried this many times. Many times. ** Lonesome Dove
wrote in message wrote:

Your browser's fault, update or use another one.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

If your running any kind of script blocker you may have problems on lots of sites.
Mike M

Popup Blocker? I put in a fake email address at the download page, and the download started immediately, so it's most likely an issue with your browser.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Any good reason to upgrade from 8? Is it easier to learn?
Mike M

Same program as far as drawing/modeling is concerned ... you will notice no difference in that regard. Most "improvements" are apparently under the hood, and not readily noticeable ... mainly tool bar and GUI changes.
Proper designation in a world not run by a corporate idiocracy mindset would have been ver 8.1.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Supposedly it runs faster, I have not noticed. The biggest improvement I have seen are icons that go to the warehouse and one that goes to a plug in site. Lastly you no longer need to save your tool bar position, this was necessary if you changed the size of the window and wanted to restore the tool bars to their previous size and location. Now they stay put with out saving or restoring.
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 19:07:45 -0700, Mike M

I have five computers (music studio) and only one with 8. I don't use it. ** Lonesome Dove
wrote in message wrote:

If you already have Sketchup8 wtf are you dicking us around in this thread?????
--

dadiOH
On 7/22/2013 1:51 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Probably Windows 8