Sketchup Question

Since I'd never heard of Sketchup, I checked it out and found it to be $600. Is that the version you guys are using? There is a student version for $49, but it's only good for a year.

Sketchup Make is free. Could that be the one you're using?

Reply to
mcp6453

Sketchup Make "is" the free version and will satisfy 95% of your needs if you are a beginner.

Keep in mind that when Sketchup 2013 was first introduced a few months ago you had to down load and use for 8 hours the pro version and after 8 hours of use either pay for the pro version or convert into the Make version.

Having said that I think you can now down load the Make version with out having to install and use the pro version too. All I recall is that I had the first release and conversion to the Make version was a bit convoluted.

Reply to
Leon

I use Sketchup version 7 and it meets 100% of my needs. I decided to quit upgrading until/unless something spiffy was mentioned that I really wanted. The $600 version never had anything I wanted and is (was?) about 99% exactly the same as the free version. I have had freeware/shareware like this go bad after x number of upgrades, so I learned from experience to be somewhat careful about upgrades unless you have a reason. I never heard of the MAKE version, but I've been ignoring version 8 for quite a while, with no regrets so far. Version 7 works fine on my Win7 64 bit PC and unless I get a new computer someday that refuses to correctly run version 7, I'm not likely to upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto.

Reply to
Jack

The Pro version has presentation features that are totally unnecessary for 99.9% of what a woodworker needs for drawing/modeling; and there are workarounds for most of the remainder when using the free version of Sketchup (currently know as "Sketchup Make").

I built a home for a client using the free version a few years back, and the only reason I needed to switch to the Pro version was for the ability to print full size construction plans for permitting/bidding/building ... all the drawing/modeling was done using the free version, and nothing has changed in that regard in the interim as far as capability.

Reply to
Swingman

FWIW, the 2013 version is the next in line after version 7

What is really nice about version 2013 is that it does not replace 7, you can run both at the same time, no risk. If you run both be sure to save older files under a new name or location if you do so in 2013.

Reply to
Leon

Wot, did you skip 8?

;)

Reply to
Swingman

YES, LOL sorry Jack, I have already forgotten 8, thought 7 was the last version.

Reply to
Leon

I've not found the place where Sketchup can be downloaded for free.

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

I did not bother to follow the yellow brick road, but you should be able to download Sketchup Make (the new name for the 2013 free version) at this link:

Swingman

Perhaps a bit shorter,

and choose "Personal Projects"

and ckeck "I agree to SketchUp Make's license agreement"

Reply to
Leon

I've done the same thing many times but when I click on the download I'm directed to a "Buy" page.

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

Oh, that's the trick. You do it twice?

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

Went there, did that. No "Personal Projects", no "I agree to SketchUP Make's license agreement" All I get is a blank page. That's all I've ever gotten. Trust me, I've tried this many times. Many times.

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

Your browser's fault, update or use another one.

Reply to
dadiOH

Any good reason to upgrade from 8? Is it easier to learn?

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

If your running any kind of script blocker you may have problems on lots of sites.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Same program as far as drawing/modeling is concerned ... you will notice no difference in that regard. Most "improvements" are apparently under the hood, and not readily noticeable ... mainly tool bar and GUI changes.

Proper designation in a world not run by a corporate idiocracy mindset would have been ver 8.1.

Reply to
Swingman

Popup Blocker? I put in a fake email address at the download page, and the download started immediately, so it's most likely an issue with your browser.

Reply to
Swingman

Supposedly it runs faster, I have not noticed. The biggest improvement I have seen are icons that go to the warehouse and one that goes to a plug in site. Lastly you no longer need to save your tool bar position, this was necessary if you changed the size of the window and wanted to restore the tool bars to their previous size and location. Now they stay put with out saving or restoring.

Reply to
Leon

It doesn't show a "free" version when I click on anything on the web site.

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove