Right Blade, Left Blade

Page 1 of 4

I finally bought a new circular saw. After a lot of research, I decided on the 423 Porter Cable. It's a Blade Left saw, which means the blade is on the left and the motor is on the right.
In the store, it was difficult to imagine using it. It wasn't until I got it home, that I realized how much of a change this was. In some instances, I could see where being able to see the blade would make a difference. In particular, Edge cutting long sheet stock, would be much easier, to not have to "cross over" yourself, while holding the saw.
However, cross cutting 2 by stock was a PITA. I just could NOT get used to the weight of the saw, resting on the waste peice. After the cut, the board AND the saw fell.
The happy ending? I took the Blade Left back and traded it in for the PC 324MAG (Blade Right). A great saw, so far.
I've read LOT'S of newsgroups and see that generally, people get used to the left blade. Without regard for safety, I'm curious, just how many of you have switched from Right Blade to Left Blade and if you would be willing to comment on your experience/acceptance of the change.
Thanks!
I am left handed so I like the blade on the right. I wished they made a worm drive with the blade on the right (not just that little bitty worm drive from Porter-Cable)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

[snip]
That's because you were doing it wrong.
*Always* rest the saw on the good piece. With a blade-left saw, this means making your cut at the left end of the board instead of the right end as you would with a blade-right saw.

You hit the nail righ square on the head. WITH OUT reguard for safety. The left blade model is made for lefties. The right side blade is for right handers.
If you see the blade when sawing you are typically going to get or have the potential of getting a spray of dust in your face.

You are using it backwards. If you were to use the saw in your left hand it would be fine. Being a lefty, I curse the saw I have but just don't use it enough to justify a new one.

Not a problem for me... I just start on the left-handed end of the board and the saw is never resting on the waste piece.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

board and the

OK..maybe I'm not getting it. I admit, I don't have the saw to try this, but thinking it through with my little brain.....
If I cut on the left end of the board, I'll likely be cutting with my Left Hand. Since I'm not left handed, this would not be comfortable at all for me. Furthermore, cutting that way, the blade is on the opposing side and I'm back where I started!
Are you funnin' with me? Or am I missing something?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That's why most sidewinder saws are blade right. Blade left only makes sense if you're left handed or don't care one way or the other.
Could lefties using right handed saws explain their lowered longevity?

What??? I've used the arguably best cicular saw made, the Skill MAG 77 for many years. It has the blade on the left side and I'm right handed. This worm drive is at home eating framing wood without difficulty all day, day after day and is the choice of quality framers here in So. Calif. Guys that show up with the sidewinders are looked upon as rookies.
It is a mystery why anyone would bother with one on the sidewinders unless they can not lift a Skill MAG77.
I don't really mean to come off as araogant as my statements above read but I have tried to use the right or left blade sidewinders and have always gone back to the solid, accurate MAG77. Bosch now owns Skil and make a Bosch version that is identical except for the guard.
Dave
Worm drive saws are a completely different matter as the balance points are such that it works fine in the right hand. THis thread was about sidewinders.
Would lefties prefer a mirror image Skil 77? Or does it work ambidextrously? My right hand is so dominant I can't even think about using a saw with my left.
Roger
Teamcasa wrote:

"Roger"

I'm must be confused... I thought the OP asked about Right or Left blade.

Try it in your right hand or left, the old 77 cuts great either way. Say, why is it that left side saws out sell right sided ones? Are more professional carpenters left-handed or ambidextrous?
Dave

No that was the title of the OP post. He specifically is talking about the PC model 423 Sidewinder.

The left hand blade saw is intended to be used with the left hand of a left handed person. Using it with you right hand is dead wrong. You bought the wrong saw if you are right handed.
Leon said

Leon, On most every post you make I tend to agree with you. However, you are the one who is dead wrong. Skill, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt all make worm drive saws for the construction industry. Do you think all framers are left handed?? Just try to find a right bladed worm drive. For that matter, how many cordless circular saw have left blades? Do you think anyone who uses a cordless circular saw is left handed?
Dave

I can only attest that if you are using a right blade saw with your right hand you are going to get more dust thrown into your face.
Just try to find a right bladed worm drive.
The Porter Cable Worm Drive Trim Saw is right handed. While it is not a large saw like you are talking about, the side winder that the OP is talking is not as heavy and large either as the worm drive that you are talking about either.

I have a left blade saw just for cutting panels. I made a cutting guide just for the left blade saw. For other circular saw jobs I use a right blade saw.
Max D.
You were doing it wrong. The motor side is always on the finished side not the waste side. Using the blade left saw requires changing your methods.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

"Pat Barber"

Is that some kind of rule? All of the circular saws I've ever seen had a shoe for saw support on both sides of the blade.
Dave

If the blade is between both of your hands you typically get more dust in your face. Te left sided blade was built so that a lefty could hold the saw with his left hand and not have the blade between his left and right hand.