Edge Sander

I have had a disk sander and a vertical belt sander combo for several years now. At first, I thought that the vertical sander would handle my stationary belt sander needs. I found out very soon that you do most of your belt sanding with the grain and that means what you really want is an edge sander. It supports the long edge of a board and keeps it flat against the belt.

Well, I found one that is reasonably priced while I was considering the distribution of some woodworking machines (such as the jointer I put on Ebay a couple of weeks ago). I bought one for myself and I have one on Ebay now. It appears to do a wonderful job in tuning up door and drawer edges that I used a plane for. It is aggressive but one of the most controlable power sanders I own. I am betting that there are others that have been interested in these like I have.

Now, I have only had mine up and running in the last day or so, so I am not an expert. I would like to know of those of you out there that have these -- how valuable are they to you?

Here is the one I have on Ebay.

eganders

Disk, OSS and a handplane at my house. There's a belt with the disk, which, with a good table, can be used on small pieces difficult to dog and plane. Tried, turned the edge sander back.

Reply to
George

The only drawback to it is that its low to floor, almost as if it were designed to have the operator sitting in a chair in front of it.

As to its value in the shop, I could get along without it I spose but I'd sure miss it. It's invaluable for reducing/truing edges of all sorts. Not only straight but also convex and (with limitations) concave.

If I didn't have one, this would be a tool that would be on my 'must have' list.

Reply to
LP

I am glad to hear that you find the edge sanders to be useful. It sure seems that it will be handy. As far as the height, it is meant to go on a table. I have mine on a "workmate" type of workstand. It is now TOO high up. I have made a lot of tables in my shop for things like the oscillating spindle sander, so I might make something for this.

LP wrote:

several

handle

Reply to