Bandsaw problem

I have a question and I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a bandsaw that was my father-in-law's.

The brand is "CONTINENTAL ULTICUT" it's a 14". Which I'm assuming they do not make anymore, or at least various online searches couldn't help.

Here's what's happening: The wheel protector, while not showing much age (no cracking, still pliable) seems to have lost it's love of life. It is tightly wrapped on the wheels when they are not in motion, however, while using the saw, the top one seems to shift and almost come off.

If I take the panels off and turn on the machine, I can see that where the band is not touching, while the wheel is in motion, the protector is not touching the wheel.

This just started this weekend, and I can't seem to find any replacement parts anyplace. Are all proectors for 14" going to be the same size? Does anyone know what became of CONTINENTAL ULTICUT?

Reply to
Dave Chamberlain

Just a matter of nomenclature here: what you are calling "wheel protectors" are band saw tires.

Well, 14" = 14". I imagine that they could come in different widths, and there are rimmed and unrimmed, crowned and uncrowned wheels, but all 14" band saws that I am familiar with are copies of the Delta, so purchasing a pair of new urethane tires designated as being for delta 14" and clones might be a way to go. Buy from someone with good return policies in case they do not look right--these things are not cheap.

You might want to call Iturra Design at 1-888-722-7078 (that's the number for ordering their catalog, but I think it is actually answered by someone at Iturra, who knows what they are talking about). Get their catalog, and try asking about your saw when you call. They are about the most knowledgable about bandsaws that you will find.

Another web source is

I didn't see anything there, but might be worth asking there, if they have any forums.

Reply to
alexy

: >Here's what's happening: The wheel protector, while not showing much : >age (no cracking, still pliable) seems to have lost it's love of life. : >It is tightly wrapped on the wheels when they are not in motion, however, : >while using the saw, the top one seems to shift and almost come off.

: Just a matter of nomenclature here: what you are calling "wheel : protectors" are band saw tires.

Oops, sorry about that. The assembly diagram I found for a JET model that looks pretty darn close called the wheel protectors. I'll start calling them the right things now :-)

: >

: >If I take the panels off and turn on the machine, I can see that where : >the band is not touching, while the wheel is in motion, the protector : >is not touching the wheel. : >

: >This just started this weekend, and I can't seem to find any replacement : >parts anyplace. Are all proectors for 14" going to be the same size?

: Well, 14" = 14". I imagine that they could come in different : widths, and there are rimmed and unrimmed, crowned and uncrowned : wheels, but all 14" band saws that I am familiar with are copies of : the Delta, so purchasing a pair of new urethane tires designated as : being for delta 14" and clones might be a way to go. Buy from someone : with good return policies in case they do not look right--these things : are not cheap.

These tires come off fairly easily. The wheels have a slight rim on them, maybe 1/8 high or so. The tires are flat.

: >Does anyone know what became of CONTINENTAL ULTICUT? : You might want to call Iturra Design at 1-888-722-7078 (that's the : number for ordering their catalog, but I think it is actually answered : by someone at Iturra, who knows what they are talking about). Get : their catalog, and try asking about your saw when you call. They are : about the most knowledgable about bandsaws that you will find.

Great! Thanks!

: Another web source is

I didn't see anything : there, but might be worth asking there, if they have any forums.

Excellent. I appreciate the help.

Reply to
Dave Chamberlain

No apology needed. Maybe I just learned a new nomenclature. But I think that you will have more luck on searches for bandsaw tires.

Sounds like the Delta. And the space between the rims is about 1"? If so, you have a wheel that sounds like a likely candidate for a new tire to fit delta/jet/grizzly etc. 14" bandsaws.

But I bet the wheel has a slight crown, i.e., with the tire on, the tire is flush to the rim, but the center is proud of the rim.

Reply to
alexy

One more thought here: You described them as being tight, but if they are moving while in motion, I'd guess they are stretched and not tight enough. The muscle and leverage required to put these things on gives you an appreciation of just how tight they are supposed to be.

Reply to
alexy

My guess would be that you mean the "tires"? (rubber-like bands that are on each wheel)

measure the diameter of the wheels and call any saw shop, they should have a replacement for it.. AFAIK, 14" saws have the same size wheels, as they all seem to take a 93 1/2" blade... (or 105" with riser block)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

alexy wrote: : Dave Chamberlain wrote: : >: Just a matter of nomenclature here: what you are calling "wheel : >: protectors" are band saw tires. : >

: >Oops, sorry about that. ...

: No apology needed. Maybe I just learned a new nomenclature. But I : think that you will have more luck on searches for bandsaw tires.

I found much better luck when searching for the right terms. It may not matter much, but here is a manual I found for a 14" JET. The assembly diagram is what I have, right down to the way the top/rear (Inner) cover is attached, and the access door in the back.

>These tires come off fairly easily. The wheels have a slight rim on : >them, maybe 1/8 high or so. : Sounds like the Delta. And the space between the rims is about 1"? If : so, you have a wheel that sounds like a likely candidate for a new : tire to fit delta/jet/grizzly etc. 14" bandsaws.

: > The tires are flat. : But I bet the wheel has a slight crown, i.e., with the tire on, the : tire is flush to the rim, but the center is proud of the rim.

Someone else pointed out that I may not know what tight is and will find out when putting on a new one. (not their words) That's absolutly true. When I say that they are tight, I just meant they weren't sagging, they are pretty easy to get off, and reading some of the older postings about replacing the tires, I'm going to be in for a treat :-)

I didn't look close enough to see how it was contoured. Should it be?

Reply to
Dave Chamberlain

[...]

Those are them. I found an assembly diagram for another machine that had called them "wheel protectors". Prior to that I was calling them "those rubber things that go around the wheel" :-D

: measure the diameter of the wheels and call any saw shop, they should have a : replacement for it.. : AFAIK, 14" saws have the same size wheels, as they all seem to take a 93 1/2" : blade... (or 105" with riser block)

Thanks for the info, my father-in-law used to weld his own bands, so the sizes I have are all a little off. One of the things that made me notice the problem was that when the tire went over the rim, it was hitting the cover and "burning rubber". A very distinct smell. Well, that and the fact that it suddenly wasn't balanced anymore... But that let us find the problem faster.

: mac

: Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
Dave Chamberlain

Soak the tires in hot soapy water before trying to put them on if you get urethane tires--they don't need glue. Rubber tires will need glue. You can get urethane tires at Rockler's or Woodcraft for $25. When I checked, there were different models for Delta and the imports (Grizzly etc), so look at the width of your tire and if it has a crown so you know what to get.

Reply to
Hax Planks

I saw only one 14" tire at either place, or Highland Hardware. Do you remember what the differences you saw were? Good advice to check width. I measured roughly 1", but it might well be 7/8", per one of these catalogs. I think all these _wheels_ have a crown, and the tires are flat until being stretched over the crowned wheel.

Reply to
alexy

come with instructions.

Reply to
George

Nah, all I remember was that there was a different one for Delta than for the imports. Don't know why.

Reply to
Hax Planks