More Bandsaw problems

Hello, I've got a 14" Jet bandsaw that I installed a riser block on today. Now the blade does not track in the center of both wheels. On the top wheel it is in the center, on the bottom the blade rides in the 1st 3rd of the lower wheel. I've tried tacking , it only moves it on the top. I didn't have this problem before, though I installed a 1/2 blade for the 1st time today after I installed the riser block. I've adjusted it & the saw seems to be running fine, but I don't think this is the right way for it to be. I've heard of the wheels needing to be coplaner, I can check for that but how do I move the wheel out and it seems to me that it is the lower wheel that needs to move. Also is there any real immediate problems using the saw like this?

Thx, Chris

Reply to
Chris

I have the jet saw. I moved the top wheel out with shims. I was able to purchase the shims at a local hardware store. IIRC, the shims were 1/2" o.d. and they were available in different thicknesses. The top wheel comes off by taking the nut off from the shaft. It is easy to do. There are articles on the Fine Woodworking website concerning tuning the band saw. Try Google for bandsaw tune-up.

One of the articles said that the top wheel on the Jet saw should not be shimmed out, but I did it and there has been no problems yet. The article said the Jet saw should be made coplanar by adjusting the bottom wheel on the Jet. It has something to do with loads on the bearings. My saw required about 1/16" of adjustment.

The saw tracks fine now that I did it.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

An old post of mine on the subject:

IIRC, the Ittura catalog (most likely Louis, himself) mentions that Jet engineers claim their 14" band saw wheels are designed to NOT be co-planar.

Now, he seems to think that is BS and his argument makes sense, but he also states that if you are going to attempt to shim a Jet co-planar (and he recommends doing it), you need to shim the bottom wheel outward to match the top wheel, unlike with the Delta, where the top wheel is easier to shim.

Point is that anyone who owns a Jet/Delta/Grizzly 14" should definitely call Iturra and have them mail you a copy of their informative "catalog".

1-888-722-7078
Reply to
Swingman

Reply to