Right Blade, Left Blade

I can imagine you might not have enjoyed that, depending on when you served. My BIL is left-handed, and served 10+ years as active-duty Navy. He said that when he went through basic, in the mid-70s, the M-16 ejected spent cartridges back and to the right... right down his shirt collar. They're kinda hot, he tells me. I understand that the weapon has since been modified with a guard that prevents the spent shells from coming quite so far back.

Doug Miller

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:01:45 GMT, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) spake:

Well, it's a good thing Doug had already relieved himself.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Believe me, that same thought has crossed my mind more than once.

Doug Miller

The one that I really remember was the m-60 (light machine gun) The Army, in all of it's wisdom, said that the weapon could not be fired left handed, as the ejected brass would hit you in the eye.. I qualified expert, etc. right handed with a lot of practice..

I carried one for 5 or 6 months in Nam, left handed on an assault belt.. fired several thousand rounds left handed and never got hit by any brass.. (at least from MY gun *g*)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I carried the old slug left handed too and caught one chunk of fired brass in my tee-shirt neck (target right). I still have the burn scar on my belly where it lodged. I was a bit too busy to yank my tee out of my belt at the time!

Ah well, life is like that, it's all about priorities and survival is the first priority, or pretty close to it.

Tom

Reply to
xleanone