Ridgid Clearance Prices at the Borg

Page 4 of 7
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:30:49 GMT, Test Tickle

As long as there are idiots with more dollars than sense who will keep going to these games, player salaries will continue to rise. That doesn't make it right, it just means there are a lot of damn stupid people in the world.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah says...

True. All the more reason why there are no economic rights.
Even without a truly free economy (should we call it an "open marketplace" instead?), hard work and initiative are rewarded and laziness is not.
Rick
Rick Chamberlain responds:

Nonsense. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes rewards go to the slickest, those with the fastest knife for another's back. Appearing busy and downtrodden with a work load is often better than actually doing a good job.
Charlie Self
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." Sir Winston Churchill
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah says...

Charlie, there are always exceptions. But don't you agree that working hard and showing initiative is *generally* rewarded?
Rick
Rick Chamberlain wrote:

Yep, it's generally rewarded with a greater workload.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
"Nova" wrote

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:43:15 GMT, Rick Chamberlain

I don't agree. For every hard worker being rewarded, I see another who gets shafted. For every lazy worker I see being disciplined, I see twenty being promoted.
tt
@hotmail.com says...

That's not my experience. Besides, what's being overlooked here are two essential ingredients for success besides hard work: smarts and willingness to take risks. Unfortunately, less intelligent persons are fairly severely penalized in life: they make bad choices, can't compete in job performance (except in strictly manual jobs) with their more gifted colleagues, etc. etc. Hard work is rarely enough to overcome the handicap of stupidity, and a lot of people are stupid.
Those willing to take risks are likewise more likely to succeed than the risk-averse. This is as true generally in life as it is true in investing. Just the way it is.
Cheers, Abe
Very true.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:11:09 GMT, Rick Chamberlain

these arguments by labeling them as "communist." With all of the government support for industry, can you really call this a "free market" economy? Not hardly.

satisfied and happy with their lot? Perhaps they can wait to recieve their reward in the afterlife?

The AMA certainly does negotiate on behalf of their members. A doctor can change insurance companies, but do you really think there is any difference (or competition) between them? At least an electrician or plumber can set a high price for a job, and turn down the work if they don't like the pay. Doctors have to accept what the insurance carriers offer, are prohibited from charging over certain amounts, and most would be out of work if they suddenly had to charge all patients cash.

At least unions are more democratic than any business entity.

Robert wrote:

http://editorial.careers.msn.com/articles/autoindustry / "The bottom line is that the autoworkers union has made its membership into an expensive source of labor, so automakers are sending as many jobs as possible to less unionized contract houses or Mexico. "
Unions are forcing work to be performed outside of the USA. Unless wages remain competitive, this trend will continue. When the work leaves, what will the blue collar workforce do then? Unions are greedy. I agree everyone should get a decent pay and it should be competitive. I don't agree a large union should be able to bully a company into paying uneducated assemblers premium wages. I don't blame the companies for searching for other labor sources as much as I hate seeing it leave the USA.
Since the pay rate for a Chnese worker is about $2.00 per day, considering import costs ect, American workers should be competitive when they make, say, $15.00 a day. Damn, that's good money.

The times, they are a changing.
Never belonged to a union, never wanted to. I have negotiated with one or two though. Some are greedy and don't give a damn about the worker, only what they collect in dues and "health and welfare" benefits as part of the package. I could tell you stories of the negotiations charade.
The smarter unions, however, see the writing on the wall and are doing something about it. They are training worker to do a good job. Training them to learn skills in construction and other trades. They are starting to work WITH management knowing that they depends on this country being competitive or both the company and the union will be history.
Their motivation may still be greed, but the survival instinct is kicking in. Ed

the ground -- that obviously hurts the workers and the union. Neither should employers fight unions to the death, preferring to hurt their own operations simply to "win." There is a middle ground, where everyone can prosper, but I believe that unions and workers have increasingly been on the shorter end of the stick for a long while.
tt
Kinda makes one wonder what motivates management....guess it's altruism, sure couldn't be greed, apparently that's only a vice shared by the people who do the actual work.
It's good to know that "management" doesn't suffer from greedy tendencies. Those CEO's with their million dollar salary packages are really just misunderstood humanitarians...
John Emmons

people the worst, while getting the most for themselves. Have you ever worked on an assembly line? It may not take a great deal of education, but I'd wager that you could no more do that job, or empty trash, or clean toilets -- day in and day out, for your whole life -- than your assembly-line worker could teach a class, or clean teeth or set broken limbs. Because they perform a service that you consider menial and uneducated, does that mean they shouldn't be able to afford a home, or send their children to good schools? Won't that just create a new generation of menial workers? A rigid class society?
tt
"Test Tickle" <

Life's tough. Communism has been tried by many countries. It doesn't work. It's really naive to not understand this.
What's interesting to me is that I will likley see the majority of the world become modernized. Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan, for example, are tapped out for cheap labor. When you add the manufacturing infrastructure, the whole economy takes off. Native Taiwan companies are leading the world in computer componants. So much for tying them to an assy line. They learned from our factories, then took the IP out the back door and made their own. Now they eat our lunch. Companies are heading to China now. China, IMO, won't be as easily subordinated. Africa next, South America? Curious how it will end - a lack of natural resources, overpopulation, back to slavery, etc..? Ever wonder why nobody cares about population control - except China? The limits are all in place - interested in how we will adapt when we hit them.
- Nate

like hell to me.
tt
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:18:26 GMT, Test Tickle

Absolutely not. While unionized workers make up only a small percentage of the total, unions work hard to make sure only their own members can get work. In California, for example, the plumber's union has made it a requirement that all workers on a government or state job must be paid union wages, whether or not they are in the union. Union wages are 50% above the usual wage which certainly isn't cheap to begin with (normally they make about $20 an hour, union wages are $30 an hour and more). No wonder California is going bankrupt, these ridiculous costs are passed along to the state which has to pay higher costs for work that is no better than non-union work.