RE: Squaring Rough Lumber

Doug Miller, I think, said that his machine had "AN aluminum bed---". If that bed is all at the same height, both infeed and outfeed ends, then it IS a planer, isn't it? A jointer has two separate beds (tables). The infeed is usually set a little lower than the outfeed. The cutter head is set at the same height as the outfeed.

Pete Stanaitis

==========================

A jointer is a type of planer, just not a ***thickness*** planer. This has nothing to do with the metal used in the table.

Reply to
Eric

Be careful with the attributions, please. I didn't write this:

Nope, that was the guy I was responding to.

I think his description was pretty clear. He's describing a combo machine with the jointer on top and the thickness planer below -- rare in North America, but I understand they're pretty common in Europe.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Stuart wrote: : In article , : Doug Miller wrote: :> >I have here a planer/thicknesser. The top is an Aluminium bed with a :> >slot running across it at right angles, through which blades protrude :> >which rotate at high speed. I pass timber along the bed and the blades :> >remove wood, flatening the timber - hopefully! That's a planer.

:> In the USA, we call that a jointer.

: Reading this group for quite a while now, I had always assumed the term : referred to some some sort of machine for cutting various joints in : wood. That's what the name suggests.

:> And the wood that we use for cabinetmaking, we call "lumber". "Timber", :> here, means standing trees which will eventually become lumber. :> "Timber" is also used, less frequently, to refer to very large wooden :> beams.

: Timber: : "(n) wood suitable for building or carpentry whether growing or : cut, a beam or large piece of wood in a framework, as of a house, ship &c" : : Lumber: : "(n) Furniture stored away out of use: anything cumbersome or : useless"

: Yes, I have become accustomed to the (mis-)use of these words round here.

If you had read the full page at the OED from which you got that definition, you'd have seen the first specific North American definition, listed as

" 3. N. Amer. Timber sawn into rough planks or otherwise roughly prepared for the market." (Oxford English Dictionary)"

Juat out of curiosity, is "lumber" still used in the sense that you're using it (definition 1 of OED)? Or are you being contrary?

-- Andy BArss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

:>> Sawn, surely! :>>

:>>

:> Surely. :> :> Quarter sawn lumber. Sawed off shotgun.

: Ah, but you're forgetting the "regularization" of verbs promoted by the : publishing industry :-). I still wince when I hear things like "pleaded" : instead of "pled" and the like.

Me too. Blech.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Used to be that you knew you had a nerd on your hands when he referred to a multipolicity of the commonplace pointing device as "mouses" but referred to a group of small rodents as "mice". Dunno if that's still true.

Reply to
J. Clarke