RE: Squaring Rough Lumber

I saw you saw that lumber. You were seen you sawing that lumber.

I'm getting a headache...

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

OK, then, if "saw" follows the same rules as "blow":

- Saw the tree down.

- The logger sew the tree down. Oops. I don't think that works.

There's nothing wrong with saying "The tree was sawed down, and then the log was sawed into boards."

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wouldn't that be sawed down and then sawed up?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Get it right, man.... sheesh..... Moose, moosen or meese box, boxen

Whatever you call it, it's fun to get blowed.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I know of Three little pigs who would disagree with that.... well two of them anyway..

Reply to
Robatoy

I thought "meeses" was the plural of mouse. At least that's what Hannah Barbera would have led one to believe.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Getting blown doesn't suck much either...

Reply to
Jack Stein

Oh for heaven's sake - just cut the damn stuff! :-)

Reply to
Matt

Yeah, that gets confusing. If more than one mouse is "mice", is more than one spouse, "spice"?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug Miller wrote,on my timestamp of 17/06/2011 1:04 PM:

"i" before "e" except after "c". Just like in "weird science". It's all simple and logical. (NOT!) ;)

Reply to
Noons

That's great.

From my favorite comedian, Brian Regan... "I before e except after c and when sounding like 'A' as in neighbor and weigh, and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and you'll always be wrong no matter what you say!"

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote,on my timestamp of 17/06/2011 1:40 PM:

LOL! Awesome!

Reply to
Noons

"I" before "e", except after "c". What a weird society.

-- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh so much for winding sticks, adze and broad axe.

Reply to
beecrofter

Hey, hey, hey! You can't call 'em "broads" any more. Watch it.

-- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You beat me to it :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

=A0 =A0 Radial Arm Saw

=A0 =A0 =A0 Planer

=A0 =A0 =A0 Table Saw

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Jointer

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Chop Saw

Plane one side flat with a #5, 6, 7, or 8 jack, fore, or jointer, cupped or bowed side down, shims underneath to support the board if necessary. Check for twist with a pair of winding sticks. Use a scratch gauge to establish the opposite side, then plane until the iron just splits the scratch lines.

For the edges, plane one edge straight, though not necessarily square to the adjacent faces. You only need a straight corner to run against the table saw fence. Rip the opposite side an eighth or so over, then turn the board and rip the planed, though not necessarily square edge true.

If the iron was sharp, you're done. The guy with the power jointer and planer now gets to sand, using 80 or 100 grit to remove the washboard marks and succeeding grits up to 220 to remove the scratch marks from the coarser grits.

Reply to
Father Haskell

"Puckdropper" wrote

Could you elaborate a bit on that technique? My technique is pretty much home schooled as well, and I'd like to try to improve it.

The biggest problem I see is people pushing down on the lumber on the infeed side. Once there is a few inches on the outfeed table, put all the pressure on the outfeed.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

------------------------------------- The dedicated jointer paddle complete with hook cleat on it's aft end addresses this issue directly.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Doug Miller, I think, said that his machine had "AN aluminum bed---". If that bed is all at the same height, both infeed and outfeed ends, then it IS a planer, isn't it? A jointer has two separate beds (tables). The infeed is usually set a little lower than the outfeed. The cutter head is set at the same height as the outfeed.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
Pete S