Re: RFD: rec.woodworking.moderated moderated

Page 5 of 5

We're just getting started, Tom. Hell, when I was a kid, I used to _dream_ of only having to carry 4 computers around in my pockets...why, computers in those days were the size of cars, and we all had an even dozen of 'em to heft around. 'Course, we had onions tied to our belts in those days, as was the fashion, ...

I suggest Googling some not-too-distant thread in rec.wood There _have_ been problems with troll attacks from Puppy Wizard, the forged anti-JOAT, and even our own pet buffoon BAD (who is at least genuinely interested in woodworking). No-one is supporting these, or would oppose any real means to avoid them. As an empirical definition of "foul", just take a look.
But that's not what moderation does. Moderation is easily defeated by the deliberate troll. Moderation's main target is the OT posting and that can be all too subjective.
I don't _want_ Christian flamewars in rec.woodworking, and there have been a few. You can't kf these posters, because they're genuine posters in an OT thread. On the whole I'd rather it didn't happen, and I rarely comment myself (and hopefully in a fairly objective and even-handed manner when I have done so). Likewise Bush/Kerry. It's not a big problem though (the volume just isn't - get over it) and it's a very small price to pay for the atmosphere of the group.
What's "woodworking" anyway ? I really wouldn't want to see large-scale crossposts from alt.home-repair or uk.d-i-y. So far the moderation guidelines appear to permit this.
I don't know if rec.wood has a spam problem. The servers I use, rent from or own have spam-clean feeds anyway.
Of the huge number of Usenet groups I read and post to (I Have No Life), rec.woodworking is just about the least broken. Why fix it ?
Has Don Vito actually posted any other ww stuff here? I lost my messages a while back, but do not remember much if any input from him.

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.