Re: RFD: rec.woodworking.moderated moderated

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Did I miss a memo?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod wrote:

Same one everybody did, seems like Vito got a wild hair. Strikes me like a lousey idea. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

If you're going to comment on this thread, please check that your follow-ups are at least x-posted to news.groups, which is the correct place to discuss RFDs. If they're not, then they can tend to get lost from sight of the official process.
But yes, it's a lousy idea. I also _really_ don't like the idea of two self-appointed moderators who don't even have real email address. One is a lurker who has barely posted and the other is completely unknown. Why not just call it rec.woodworking.me.me.me ?
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:23:26 +0100, Andy Dingley

I think we may just get an answer to the burning question "what if they made a whiney net-nanny's group and nobody came?"
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Andy Dingley wrote:

I make it a point, with this exception and occas stupidity, to not x-post. I doubt that this group that Vito is longing for will ever get off the ground, even ssuming it gets a "yes" vote. He has managed to miss the point and the ethos of this NG, which along with RCW is one of the few left that has common decency as a core value and pleasant give and take as a manner. Take a look at the wRECk and you see the remnants of the the older porch and pond. why would we want to give that up for a sterile serving of pablum. Thanks for catching the extra e BTW. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

ha ha, that's funny
This group is one of the most intolerant groups that I frequent. RW is having a lull at the moment since some of the worst are away, but this group has zero tolerance for disagreement and our esteemed cabinetmaker ret. was one of the worst.
On top of that, there are a percentage of idiots here who just cannot help but respond to every spam, OT and troll post that comes through.
The only way to stomach this place for more than a few days is heavy use of filters and killfiles.
Having said all that, I would still oppose a moderated group... there are plenty of web forums for people who want that sort of stuff.
Gary Newman wrote: a bunch of crap
A Google shows you never posted here before. A sock puppet perhaps? Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

lol, thanks for proving my point

That's right Dave, you are arguing with yourself and now you have outed yourself, must be a split personality.
You obviously have no clue what a sockpuppet is, but if commenting without a clue were a crime, several people here would be in jail.
Get out of ignorance free card, do not pass go, do not get your chisels sharpened...
sock puppet
n. [Usenet: from the act of placing a sock over your hand and talking to it and pretending it's talking back] In Usenet parlance, a pseudo through which the puppeteer posts follow-ups to their own original message to give the appearance that a number of people support the views held in the original message.
Gary Newman wrote:

Gee, and here I was thinking that you might be an incarnation of BAD. I know what a sock puppet is, I'm just not sure that you aren't one. Have fun. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

He might be, but he's not BAD -- unless the BADboy changed ISPs, newsservers, *and* newsreaders.

...and learned speling and grammar...
Dave Hinz wrote:

"Speling" ?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 21:46:45 GMT, Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Somewhere there's a Usenet rule that any message mentioning the spelling of another poster, must contain at least one spelling error. I figure since it's got to be there anyway, I'd put it where I knew where it was.
Dave Hinz
Doug Miller wrote:

Hi Doug, I figured that HWSNBN might be feeling deprived and have done just that. Conversley, I have 3 ISP's, 2 OS's and run 4 browsers, depending on what I'm doing. So I don't put it against anybody else to do the same or even more.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:18:53 -0700, Guy Macon <> wrote:

The .moderated group was brought up by a non-participant of the rec.woodworking newsgroup for unknown reasons. As such, discussing that person's non-participation in the group is relevant to the discussion.

Do you have a FAQ which talks about the foolishness of creating a moderated group when the person suggesting same is unlikely to be a positive influence in the process? That'd be helpful. Serious question - I've seen many groups where a .moderated is created by someone with an agenda, and the .moderated group languishes and dies because of non-participation.

Actually, the proposed moderator's non-participation in the group is relevant to the discussion, but the proponent's non-participation is irrelevant. Iit shouldn't matter who makes the proposal; the proposal stands or falls on it's own merits. The moderator, on the other hand, will have total control over the group, and thus discussing his character, abilities, and commitment is very much on-topic.
Please keep your discussion related to the proposal when you crosspost to news.groups and please don't crosspost to news.groups when you are enaging in generalized flaming.

No, because it doesn't matter who suggests the name.

In those cases, the correct thing to do is to attack the proposal, not the proponent.
On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:00:04 -0700, Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com wrote:

If you will check the proposal, the proposed moderator and the proponent are one and the same entity; thus the discussion of both is equivalent and thus germaine to the topic at hand.

I realize that they are the same person in this case. I was encouraging the woodworkers to use the correct "this moderator stinks! vote no!" instead of the incorrect "this proponemt stinks! vote no!." (note: I have no opinion as to whether the proponent/ moderator actually stinks. I am just advising those wh think he does.)
Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com wrote in

OTOH, most of the woodworkers are unlikely to be interested in the exact workings of newsgroup creation. In this case, it is likely to confuse matters by adding a irrelevant point (ie that the proponant's character is unimportant), when the proponant's character does matter because he is a proposed moderator.
Don't forget, Guy, that people who hang round news.groups are much more interested in the process of creating groups then the people who don't. Those other people aren't going to be tested on their knowledge of the exact format of newsgroup creation.
PS I'm posting from news.groups.
--
Penny Gaines
Usenetting since 1993