Re: eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - 272 mortises later

Taking shape:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5814164542739668018
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/23/2012 6:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5814164542739668018
Looking very good!
On 11/23/12 6:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5814164542739668018
Purty! What are the clamps on the leg bottoms doing?
--

-MIKE-

On 11/23/2012 6:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Moral support ... this was just a test fit of the legs, loose tenons and some of the aprons, no glue.
I cut loose tenons most of the day today ... about 350 of them - all 1/4" thick re-sawn oak (from scraps), but three widths, and two different lengths.
Chair making is tedious business and progress is measured by days, not hours ... and these are easy because the angles are all 90's, with only 8 curved parts (2 each back rests/rails).
Glad it's not six, or eight ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/23/12 7:15 PM, Swingman wrote:

So, leg stands. Good idea, that type of clamp is perfect for that.
Noted.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/23/2012 7:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yep, Festool, AGD's (anti-gravity device). I might be persuaded to part with a few. A bit pricey, though ... and shipping is extra.
;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/23/2012 7:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Those clamps work pretty good to hold up plywood panels when you are attaching a solid wood front edge too.
On Friday, November 23, 2012 7:15:47 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

Looking good! I can certainly vouch for the work put into chair projects. Anyone considering making chairs should take note that patience is required.... and perfect dimensions.
Long ago, I studied rocking chairs, specifically, and discovered the slightest error in rocker angles (to note one cause) caused the chair(s) to creep across the floor, as one rocked. Almost any slight difference in alignment, or exact dimensions of other parts, would/could weaken the overall structure, as well.
Your 2006 reproduction dining set is an impressive job, also. Good detailed pics of the process. I also like the fact that you don't have just single chairs around the table, but have a "bench" seating, as well. That's a good complimenting set, that way.... Something you don't see too often and it enhances the whole setting, more so, than just a typical (all chairs) dining scenario. *Though you're not finished with the bar stools, hence not shown in the pics (yet!?), I suppose you will have inside corner braces/diagonal braces on the seat skirt/leg corners, as on the 2006 repro set.
Sonny
On 11/24/2012 8:31 AM, Sonny wrote:

Anyone considering making chairs should take note that patience is required.... and perfect dimensions.
Thanks, Sonny.

error in rocker angles (to note one cause) caused the chair(s) to creep across the floor, as one rocked. Almost any slight difference in alignment, or exact dimensions of other parts, would/could weaken the overall structure, as well.
I'm sure that we could all learn a few things about that from you and Steve Turner.
Both of you have built some beautiful rockers, which are inherently much more structurally complicated, IME, than the dining room chair or bar stool.

pics of the process. I also like the fact that you don't have just single chairs around the table, but have a "bench" seating, as well. That's a good complimenting set, that way.... Something you don't see too often and it enhances the whole setting, more so, than just a typical (all chairs) dining scenario.
As you note that was done on purpose ... being in an area that is basically part of the kitchen, there is simply not enough room between that table and the wall for someone to "pull up a chair and sit dow", so a bench made more sense.
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopArtsCraftsChairReproduction2006#5651146365613426546
If we ever move from here, that bench has a secondary, envisioned future as a hall bench.
(AAMOF, I actually prefer to sit on the bench, instead of a chair).
> *Though you're not finished with the bar stools, hence not shown in the pics (yet!?), I suppose you will have inside corner braces/diagonal braces on the seat skirt/leg corners, as on the 2006 repro set.
Yep ... and those braces will also hold the upholstered seat frame on, thusly:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods#5814025892137530946
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods#5814025757206373250
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/23/2012 7:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5814164542739668018
How many mortises per chair?
On 11/24/2012 2:26 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

1 brazillian