PVC and dust collectio safety

Page 2 of 3

Get one of those laser pointers, Dave. Cats go nuts chasing that little red dot. Lorne Elliott does a whole routine on stage with one...funny stuff.

I've already got two actually, but they're murder on the batteries @$5 each. I only pull them out now when my best friend's kids come over.

I got an infrared thermometer with laser that uses 9V batteries... It's been used to take temperatures of things maybe 10 times, as a cat toy over 100.
Puckdropper

Is that one of those thermometers that you point at something and it gives you the temperature?
Got a make or model?

Yep. Here's a link to it: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IR-THERMOMTR
Be sure to visit in the day time to buy, they often have daily specials during "work" hours. This has been on the list a few times.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

I am not sure how old you are but I recall numerous news reports of fires at the pumps caused by a static discharge. Pumps in Houston warn to not fill loose gas cans inside a vehicle.
Leon wrote:

I wouldn't dispute that, but no I hadn't heard any such reports and I figure if they were "numerous" I would have heard of at least one. Anyway, my (implied) point was that the odds of an explosion in the presence of static electricity and gasoline vapors would seem far more likely that one in a wood shop, but how's about we just forget I said anything and we'll put the lid back on this can of worms...
BTW, I just turned forty-mffmefmfs... :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I've seen video of the exploding gas at the pumps. Usually caused when in the winter someone sets the pump to fill, gets back in the car to keep warm, then gets out and grabs the pump handle. I think that is one reason self service pump do not have the locking fill handle.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Texas, etc), I've never seen any non-locking fill handles, in fact I've never seen even one! I assume you're talking about the three position ridged thingie with the metal spring loaded fliper thingie thaqt allows you to "set and forget"? Can't be sure about Oregon as they don't allow self serve.

Lucky you. In CT or MA you won't find one where the thingie has not been removed. I hate holding the thing in freezing weather or when I could be cleaning the windshield. You can jam it with the gas cap though, but only in a slow position.
I did have a near accident though some years ago when self service first started. The person before me put the handle back in the locked on position. I picked it up and turned the switch on and gas started to spew. I was able to stop it quickly, but enough spilled that it could have been serious had a smoker been right there. Pumps have since been redesigned.
wrote in message

Wow you bring back memories with the mention of delicately inserting the cap in the handle. LOL

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A tennis ball works well for high speed fills.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Doug Winterburn wrote:

In CT some pumps have 'em, some don't, even at the same station. I've been assuming that they just got busted off and nobody replaced 'em.
--John

Several years ago the pumps in Texas did not have the lock but have reappeared in full force.
Leon wrote:

locks were removed or never installed because a number of the usual suspects were worried that the members of the motoring public were to STUPID to know how to properly work them. So they got the nervous nellies at the Fire Marshals Office to declare them hazardous and caused them to be outlawed. Well the motoring public was smarter than the average enviroterrorist and we have a resurgence of lever locks.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Which is why I keep a piece of velcro on the lid holder on the gas cap.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

In PA, most have the holders but some don't. I always stick my gas cap in the ones that don't... Once at a Sheets, I did this and the auto shutoff didn't shut off... gas everywhere. I still do it now, but pay more attention.
--
Jack

That makes sense, all of that. I recall pump handles not having a lock and then a few years ago the lock levers began to reappear. In Houston I think all pumps have the lock and we are seeing an increase in fires at the pump.

How many gas pump fires? Having a difficult time here googling up hard numbers. I suppose just one is enough to ruin your day, but just how many fires? (Never mind explosions. We're pretty much safe even with the filler neck on fire, unless you happen to be filming a movie.)
Regards flammables in the shop... One of my most favorite toys is a Swedish Firesteel. It's a magnesium rod that throws off little burning bits of itself when struck. Finding usable tinder isn't really difficult, but it's bad enough that I keep it with a box of cotton balls already soaked in petroleum jelly. In context of DC fires and static discharge, the energy content in even one magnesium spark is magnitudes larger than what leaves your fingertips.
Not sure what I'm trying to say. Yes, the potential is there, but just how big a danger is it? How much energy will it take to ignite the gas fumes exiting the filler neck? How easy is it ignite that pile of wood dust? For that matter, I have died of BLO soaked rags yet...
wrote in message

It seems like at least once a year there is news coverage of a fire at a gas pump. IIRC gasoline cans or pump lables warn about this possibility.

Conditions being rightand on a cold dry day I can see an arc that measures a quarter inch or so if I grab the ungrounded end of the DC hose. Much longer than that of the typical spark plug. My concern is if you have some acetone near by or on a rag. I am not so much worried about whether the DC is running or its particular contents.

The potential is probably very low for even flamable fumes but the danger could be high if they actually ignited. The quarter inch arc is way past enough to ignite flamable fumes if they are present. You only need a simple spark in the right atmosphere.