I have been stetting up my new shop over the past few months and have
researched dust collection on the net and by reading a few books on the
subject. This morning I found this article on the Wood Whisperer site.
It basically states that there is almost no chance of a fire/explosion from
using ungrounded PVC ducts with your dust collector.
Because the hose and or PVC pipe will discharge static electricity, I have
been zapped on numerous occasions, I suggest you not have open flammables
close to a possible static electricity discharge location.
Additionally, almost no chance does not exclusively mean no chance. Almost
any home or shop has no chance of a fire or explosion whether it has a dust
collector or not.
Common sense precautions should always be observed.
I agree with your comments. Very good point on the flammables.
One of the books I read suggested it is not worth the chance to use PVC
ducting. I would say it is very safe along with some grounding.
Oh no! not the PVC grounding thread again...
Wrecker A: It is safe if you ground it.
Wrecker B: You can't ground PVC, it is an insulator.
Wrecker C: Don't listen to B, mine is grounded and I've never been
Wrecker B: C has been very lucky.
Wrecker D: I worked for Norad after I graduated from MIT and we were
not allowed to use PVC because of the explosion hazards.
Wrecker E: B & D are overstating the risk, in the past 200 years
Lloyds has never paid an explosion claim for a home workshop using PVC
Wrecker F: What is ABPW? and why can't I get to it.
There, that should about cover it.
Angela likes to study curled up on the couch in the den with this warm
fuzzy, synthetic-fur-like blanket.
Now, with this cold snap, the air is dry.
She got off the couch and shed the blanket and reached for the
aluminium mac keyboard.
The sound of that static crack, and Ang's reaction certainly had the
Swedish twins button up in record speed.
You did forget to mention that the original
poster was probably a "pinko,communist,gay basher,
IRA member,child molester, non-woodworker,
who didn't know his ass from his elbow and
should be in hell for even suggesting something
Limp Arbor wrote:
I think the chances are slim but possible depending on the circumstances.
Half of my 20 flexible hose is grounded and I get zapped on occasion. For
that matter I get zapped every time I get out of my truck during the winter
In Houston? You gotta be kiddin' me. Can't you pretty much squeeze
water out of the air down there?
That kind of stuff is a regular occurrence for us in AZ. We've got a
humidifier that we run in the winter just to avoid being shocked when
touching any metal.
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough
Yes you can get a drink of water by simply breathing through your open
mouth, in the Summer months. Winter however can be quite dry and I build up
quite a charge, enough so that I try to temember to discharge myself by
grasping my keys and letting the tip of a key be the ignition point as get
ready to close the door. You can easily see a 1/4" spark.
When I visited my sister in Denver it always seemed strange to want to
humidify the air. LOL
Reminds me of the electronics lab at my old technical school. We were tasked
with not only generating huge amounts of static electricity with/without our
bodies, but we had to discharge it and MEASURE it! It became like a horror
movie, mad scientist laboratory.
We had different kinds of synthetic material that we would rub with glass
rods and our feet. We would build up a charge and go out into the hallway
and look for victims. After enough complaints, we got shut down. Talk
about being politically incorrect.
I learned the key trick in my college physics class. We too were working
with high voltage static electricity. I first started using the technique
for practical use when vacationing in the mountains, I could actually feel
the jolt up to my elbow.
I do that with my cat, except I don't need a carpet. Stroke her side a few
times, shock her nose and then she chomps on my finger. It's down to the
point now that it's a game we play and she keeps coming back for more. I end
up laughing my head off for about ten minutes.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.