PVC and dust collectio safety

Several years ago the pumps in Texas did not have the lock but have reappeared in full force.

Reply to
Leon

Wow you bring back memories with the mention of delicately inserting the cap in the handle. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Yes you can get a drink of water by simply breathing through your open mouth, in the Summer months. Winter however can be quite dry and I build up quite a charge, enough so that I try to temember to discharge myself by grasping my keys and letting the tip of a key be the ignition point as get ready to close the door. You can easily see a 1/4" spark.

When I visited my sister in Denver it always seemed strange to want to humidify the air. LOL

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Reminds me of the electronics lab at my old technical school. We were tasked with not only generating huge amounts of static electricity with/without our bodies, but we had to discharge it and MEASURE it! It became like a horror movie, mad scientist laboratory.

We had different kinds of synthetic material that we would rub with glass rods and our feet. We would build up a charge and go out into the hallway and look for victims. After enough complaints, we got shut down. Talk about being politically incorrect.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I learned the key trick in my college physics class. We too were working with high voltage static electricity. I first started using the technique for practical use when vacationing in the mountains, I could actually feel the jolt up to my elbow.

Reply to
Leon

Something to be aware of however. Modern vehicle keys have anti theft circuitry in them, I wonder how they would hold up after using them as a conduit to discharge you static charge.

Reply to
Leon

After taking of my jacket, I grab a coin from my pocket and ground it before kissing my wife. She appreciates it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The coin or the kiss. :D

Reply to
Morris Dovey

How many gas pump fires? Having a difficult time here googling up hard numbers. I suppose just one is enough to ruin your day, but just how many fires? (Never mind explosions. We're pretty much safe even with the filler neck on fire, unless you happen to be filming a movie.)

Regards flammables in the shop... One of my most favorite toys is a Swedish Firesteel. It's a magnesium rod that throws off little burning bits of itself when struck. Finding usable tinder isn't really difficult, but it's bad enough that I keep it with a box of cotton balls already soaked in petroleum jelly. In context of DC fires and static discharge, the energy content in even one magnesium spark is magnitudes larger than what leaves your fingertips.

Not sure what I'm trying to say. Yes, the potential is there, but just how big a danger is it? How much energy will it take to ignite the gas fumes exiting the filler neck? How easy is it ignite that pile of wood dust? For that matter, I have died of BLO soaked rags yet...

Reply to
MikeWhy

It seems like at least once a year there is news coverage of a fire at a gas pump. IIRC gasoline cans or pump lables warn about this possibility.

Conditions being rightand on a cold dry day I can see an arc that measures a quarter inch or so if I grab the ungrounded end of the DC hose. Much longer than that of the typical spark plug. My concern is if you have some acetone near by or on a rag. I am not so much worried about whether the DC is running or its particular contents.

The potential is probably very low for even flamable fumes but the danger could be high if they actually ignited. The quarter inch arc is way past enough to ignite flamable fumes if they are present. You only need a simple spark in the right atmosphere.

Reply to
Leon

Your sure are lucky ED, my wife prefers the paper money. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

And still on another note, when we had carpet in our house I was always zapping our dog on her nose on those cold dry days, she'd kinda freak out. ;!)

Reply to
Leon

When selfservice gas stations replaced attendents the fuel pump lever locks were removed or never installed because a number of the usual suspects were worried that the members of the motoring public were to STUPID to know how to properly work them. So they got the nervous nellies at the Fire Marshals Office to declare them hazardous and caused them to be outlawed. Well the motoring public was smarter than the average enviroterrorist and we have a resurgence of lever locks.

Reply to
David G. Nagel

A tennis ball works well for high speed fills.

Reply to
Nova

In PA, most have the holders but some don't. I always stick my gas cap in the ones that don't... Once at a Sheets, I did this and the auto shutoff didn't shut off... gas everywhere. I still do it now, but pay more attention.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I do that with my cat, except I don't need a carpet. Stroke her side a few times, shock her nose and then she chomps on my finger. It's down to the point now that it's a game we play and she keeps coming back for more. I end up laughing my head off for about ten minutes.

Reply to
Upscale

Get one of those laser pointers, Dave. Cats go nuts chasing that little red dot. Lorne Elliott does a whole routine on stage with one...funny stuff.

Reply to
Robatoy

I've already got two actually, but they're murder on the batteries @$5 each. I only pull them out now when my best friend's kids come over.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:58cd5$4971697c$cef88bc5$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

I got an infrared thermometer with laser that uses 9V batteries... It's been used to take temperatures of things maybe 10 times, as a cat toy over 100.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Is that one of those thermometers that you point at something and it gives you the temperature?

Got a make or model?

Reply to
Upscale