While I agree that an explosion from saw dust and a static spark is
unlikely, the work shop does have volatile substances that could ignite.
My original point to my post was to point out that saw dust in the dust
collector is not the only thing that could be ignited by a static spark.
That was written several years ago by my friend Rod Cole, formerly of
the Badger Pond woodworking forum (now defunct). He is (or
was--haven't heard from him in a while) an engineer at MIT. I've long
considered this the definitive work on home shop DC systems and PVC
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.