PVC and dust collectio safety

Page 1 of 3
I have been stetting up my new shop over the past few months and have researched dust collection on the net and by reading a few books on the subject. This morning I found this article on the Wood Whisperer site. http://home.comcast.net/~rodec/woodworking/articles/DC_myths.html#who#who
It basically states that there is almost no chance of a fire/explosion from using ungrounded PVC ducts with your dust collector.
cm

Because the hose and or PVC pipe will discharge static electricity, I have been zapped on numerous occasions, I suggest you not have open flammables close to a possible static electricity discharge location.
Additionally, almost no chance does not exclusively mean no chance. Almost any home or shop has no chance of a fire or explosion whether it has a dust collector or not.
Common sense precautions should always be observed.
Leon,
I agree with your comments. Very good point on the flammables.
One of the books I read suggested it is not worth the chance to use PVC ducting. I would say it is very safe along with some grounding.
cm

Oh no! not the PVC grounding thread again...
Wrecker A: It is safe if you ground it.
Wrecker B: You can't ground PVC, it is an insulator.
Wrecker C: Don't listen to B, mine is grounded and I've never been shocked.
Wrecker B: C has been very lucky.
Wrecker D: I worked for Norad after I graduated from MIT and we were not allowed to use PVC because of the explosion hazards.
Wrecker E: B & D are overstating the risk, in the past 200 years Lloyds has never paid an explosion claim for a home workshop using PVC dust collection.
Wrecker F: What is ABPW? and why can't I get to it.
There, that should about cover it.
Limp Arbor wrote:

ungrounded PVC destroyed it all, in one loud boom.

Fixed you post. ;-)
--
Froz...

LOL...
Angela likes to study curled up on the couch in the den with this warm fuzzy, synthetic-fur-like blanket. Now, with this cold snap, the air is dry. She got off the couch and shed the blanket and reached for the aluminium mac keyboard. The sound of that static crack, and Ang's reaction certainly had the Swedish twins button up in record speed.
Robatoy wrote:

My wife just plays with her iPod Touch 32GB, while wearing sweats. ;-)
--
Froz...

2 feet longer than a d00tchie.
You did forget to mention that the original poster was probably a "pinko,communist,gay basher, IRA member,child molester, non-woodworker, who didn't know his ass from his elbow and should be in hell for even suggesting something that dangerous.
Limp Arbor wrote:

I think the chances are slim but possible depending on the circumstances. Half of my 20 flexible hose is grounded and I get zapped on occasion. For that matter I get zapped every time I get out of my truck during the winter months.
Leon wrote:

Even at the gas station while other people are pumping gas? And you haven't spontaneously combusted?!
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Leon wrote:

In Houston? You gotta be kiddin' me. Can't you pretty much squeeze water out of the air down there?
That kind of stuff is a regular occurrence for us in AZ. We've got a humidifier that we run in the winter just to avoid being shocked when touching any metal.

Yes you can get a drink of water by simply breathing through your open mouth, in the Summer months. Winter however can be quite dry and I build up quite a charge, enough so that I try to temember to discharge myself by grasping my keys and letting the tip of a key be the ignition point as get ready to close the door. You can easily see a 1/4" spark.

When I visited my sister in Denver it always seemed strange to want to humidify the air. LOL
"Leon" wrote

with not only generating huge amounts of static electricity with/without our bodies, but we had to discharge it and MEASURE it! It became like a horror movie, mad scientist laboratory.
We had different kinds of synthetic material that we would rub with glass rods and our feet. We would build up a charge and go out into the hallway and look for victims. After enough complaints, we got shut down. Talk about being politically incorrect.

I learned the key trick in my college physics class. We too were working with high voltage static electricity. I first started using the technique for practical use when vacationing in the mountains, I could actually feel the jolt up to my elbow.

Something to be aware of however. Modern vehicle keys have anti theft circuitry in them, I wonder how they would hold up after using them as a conduit to discharge you static charge.

After taking of my jacket, I grab a coin from my pocket and ground it before kissing my wife. She appreciates it.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The coin or the kiss. :D
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Your sure are lucky ED, my wife prefers the paper money. ;~)

zapping our dog on her nose on those cold dry days, she'd kinda freak out. ;!)

I do that with my cat, except I don't need a carpet. Stroke her side a few times, shock her nose and then she chomps on my finger. It's down to the point now that it's a game we play and she keeps coming back for more. I end up laughing my head off for about ten minutes.