Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

Page 5 of 8
On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:12:05 PM UTC-5, krw wrote:

I've been in "forced" retirement since age 49, since 2002, because of a mil d stroke, and subsequently 3 heart attacks. I drink occassionally, more s o social drinking. Even at the camp, my limit is usually two hard drinks an evening. Liquor affects the effectiveness of my medications. I drink lots of Kool-Aid when working, mostly the lemon-lime flavor, but I will ha ve a beer now and then, also.

Don't depend on a quantity of tools to enjoy your woodworking.... or retire ment. My last two projects didn't require my having a cache of major tool s. The only specialty tool, I needed, was a wider planer, than I have, so I had Lafayette Woodworks plane those boards for me.... the fee was $30, I think, I gave them $50.... economy on multiple fronts. Oh, and as Lew all uded to, there were times when a forklift would have been handy, too.
In my (retirement) shop, it's not the speed of production that counts, it's how many visitors and beers it takes to complete a project.... *and I've d iscovered, the more beneficial a project is, its subsequent usefulness (or inherent value?), to those visitors, the more they are apt to come over and help with the heavy lifting.... sometimes, maybe (chagrinned!). Hmmm!? It's nice to have enough money to woodwork and drink! :-)
Sonny

I retired, if temporarily, in 2006 and immediately had a problem with A-Fib. That lasted nine months, until I had completely redone the interior of my house and put it on the market. Then SWMBO came down on the sawdust, so I went back to work. ;-)
I stopped drinking when I got A-Fib and haven't had as much as a beer since. I had bypass surgery last November and my doc said I could have one drink a day, in fact he suggested that it would probably be beneficial. Nah, been there.

Nah, I mostly enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to do something. Building something in Sketchup is nearly as enjoyable as the real thing. Tools are just a toy that makes it easier. I have a few major ones that I still want to buy but I have zero time to even get my shop together so I've put them on hold. I don't enjoy neander woodworking, though.

;-)

Is Festool expensive? Dunno but they raised the price by something like 30% and doubled their market share. I used to drink but not Seagrams.

On 9/15/2015 8:39 PM, krw wrote:

Nope. From someone that understands marketing.
--
Jack
On 9/17/2015 10:15 AM, Jack wrote:

Pfsss. LOL

Are you saying that you are a Festool user?
On 9/17/2015 9:36 PM, krw wrote:

No. I'm saying that some products are marketed as high priced products. Some, particularly hobbyists, don't mind paying $650 for a shop vac, and in fact, many insist on having the most expensive product made. Festool, imo, is aiming directly at that market, and the fact Festool doesn't allow their stuff to be discounted by the retailer fits that model.
It's not that their stuff isn't good, it certainly _should_ be, but, again, imo, the difference between a quality saw, vacuum, drill and the price Festool charges is insane. Tradesmen generally don't buy festool stuff either, not because it's not quality, but because it costs too much, and they can get more bang for the buck with good quality stuff that costs considerably less, particularly if they are not the only guy using the tools.
--
Jack
On 9/18/2015 10:58 AM, Jack wrote:

AAMOF tradesmen were using Festool long long before Festool became known to the general hobbyist such as yourself.
On 9/18/2015 2:04 PM, Leon wrote:

I'm sure, but I've never seen them used on a job site, and I asked around once at a local club with around 10 professional tradesman, all in the business for many years, and not one of them owned or used any festools, supporting my view not many tradesman use Festools, choosing to use cheaper, high quality tools.
I suspect most Festool users are general hobbyists, with oil wells in their back yard, like yourself. "Look at me ma, I'm using a Festool, y'all know what this thing cost?"
I'm sure some professionals, that mostly work alone, own Festools, they are supposedly top quality, as they should be considering the price. I've just never met one, or talked to one, or walked past one. Rockler sells them though.
--
Jack
On 9/19/2015 8:10 AM, Jack wrote:

Rockler hasn't sold Festool in a couple of years ...
WoodCraft does.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

...and Highland carries everything Festool makes. ;-)
On 9/19/2015 10:52 PM, krw wrote:

And Festool can be had from countless places on the internet. Because of their pricing policy you don't have to worry that you might be paying more a Festool tool than anywhere else. Regardless of where you buy, you are getting the best price possible. BUT I prefer to buy locally if possible.

You can't touch and feel over the Internet.

Highland is local. ;-)
On 9/20/2015 10:44 AM, krw wrote:

That is absolutely true but if you live hundreds od miles from the closest brick and mortar, OR if your local supplier is out of a part, the internet is very handy. Most all on line suppliers do not charge for shipping on Festool, at least on the machines.

Luck you! ;~)
We have two Woodcraft stores and Circle Saw. Circle Saw is aimed mostly at the pro's.

Not only is Highland local but there is also Woodcraft, Rockler, and PeachTree, here. They're not all that close to where we live (the other side of the city - 30 miles, give or take) but we're in the area every six weeks, or whenever I need a fix. ;-)
Of course Highland and PeachTree are company owned stores but so is Woodcraft, now, and I think Rockler may be too. They just opened a huge new store that's stocked to the gills.
I was talking to one of the salespeople at Woodcraft a few weeks ago. He indicated that they're considering a second store on this side of the city.
On 9/20/2015 5:58 PM, krw wrote:

We have a Rockler and soon to be two Rocklers but neither carry Festool anymore.

Well you simply have not been to the right job site. I have never seen a Porter Cable circular saw, Milwaukee router, Makita plate joiner, Bosch circular saw, or a Harbor Freight drill used on a job site either. That does not mean that they are not there. If a tree falls in the middle of the woods and nothing hears it, did it make a sound? Yes. The fact that you or I have not witnessed something does not mean squat.
I have worked on many job sites and ben on many. For the ones that I have worked on, I was not the only one using his own Festool tools.

I suspect that you are only around mostly hobbyists. We who earn a pay check with our tools do not make that type of asinine comment. If I were not designing and selling work and or building and installing kitchens sad bathrooms I probably would now own ant Festool's either.

On this group you have talked to at least two but are too damn stubborn to admit it.

I talked with ten hobbyists, too, and none of them used Festools. It seems that no one uses them.

You talked with "10 hobbyists too"? Who else talked to "hobbyists" besides YOU? Are you so dumb you confuse "professional tradesman" with hobbyists or are you, as I suspect, making shit up to support your goofy arguments?
--
Jack

You are blowing up at a sarcastic remark, and remaining predictable Jack.