Our First Lowes - What A Difference Over Home Depot!!!

Page 2 of 4
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:33:17 -0800, the inscrutable Fly-by-Night CC

It definitely seems so, but is it legal in his state?
======================================================= TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications =========================

Pretty sure, just don't drive drunk or the State's Attorney will be all over you (snicker).

Not if a Holstein's involved. Seems to screw up the milk production, if I recollect.

They don't have salesmen at the Borg, they have clerks.
--

Roger Shoaf

Aren't they all "associates" now? Or are they just human resources?

I saw this episode, too!
Pretty soon a guy with a Lowes nametag comes out and asks if the nice man wants any help!
Only on TV! It's completely unbelievable!
watson - who only wishes that real life was just like TV.
On Friday 28 Jan 2005 7:55 pm, Tom Watson scribbled:

Can be. SOP is: I walk into my Home Hardware quasi borg, say hi to some of the nice staff. Start looking for stuff. Nice guy or gal comes to me and says: "Can I help you Luigi?"
"I'm looking for a certain particular blurfl, can't seem to find it. Do you have any?" says I. Answer is: (a) "I think we have some in aisle XX, let's go check." or (b) "I don't think so, but I think Crappy Tire/Gordy/Kilrich might have it." or (c) "I don't know, but [insert name of other staff] might know. Hey [name of other staff]! Do you know where the blurfls are?" or (d) "We don't have any, but how about using a whatchamacallit instead?" or (e) "We could bring it in/We can't bring them in anymore."
Like JOAT says, life is good.
--
Luigi

Yabbut yer in Canuckistan, where people treat each other more nicer. It's sorta like Minnesota (the Stepford State), only more Norther.
Around here a lot of the folks who work at HD look like they were hired to keep them from hanging around the parking lot and mugging people.
Got a kid with purple hair and more metal stuck in his body than yer average junk yard - and the only reason I can figure for him working in the plumbing section is that he's got plumbers cleavage from wearing his pants so low.
Tom Watson responds:

I asked one of those kids if he wanted me to talk to his boss about a raise, see if maybe he could then afford some clothes that fit. I guess being broke embarrassed him. He turned purplish red (or reddish purple: I never could tell the difference).
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000
Charlie Self wrote:

An interesting aside. The guy who played Stiffler, the obnoxious prick in the American Pie series of movies, was found working in a Home Depot.
... snip

So you actually *see* clerks in HD? I see checkout people and every once in a while, if I turn my head quickly enough, I will see an orange apron scurrying around the corner of an aisle (they must be shy and customers scare them). But clerks, can't say I've seen a live one in a while.

Well, for a while they were advertising that many of their clerks were experienced in the trades. Maybe they equate plumber's cleavage with plumber's experience.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Ever notice all the various badges and pins on those orange aprons? Must be based on seniority and experience ... the more badges, the better they are at ignoring you, or scurrying away.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

They're required to wear a certain number of "flair".
Dave "Spot the reference..." Hinz

Beat me to it...
15 is the minimum. We really want you to express yourself. And, yes I have my trusty Swingline 747 right here under lock n' key.

I've got the model 346, myself. And, it's red. Binds up less than the Boston.

Swingline 50 for me - had a couple of 'em for decades and another is from my mom's desk from the '50s or '60s.'
;)
____

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:53:38 +0000, the inscrutable Luigi Zanasi

(What TV, Tawm, the Simpsons?)

I get a lot of those. "Here, try this plastic blurfl. Oh, no, it won't weldable onto the barfl, will it? Sorry, can't help you."
The one store in town which has good, helpful, intelligent folks like your guys is the Farmer's Building Supply. I need to go there today to pick up some deck screws to rebuild a grape arbor for my 83 y/o neighbor. His fix about 5 years ago left the standard pineywood tubafores full of bent concrete nails.
I believe the parts still standing are those which have lichen on them, and I think it's the lichen which is holding them together. ;)
Anyway, he won't spring for new wood, so I get to climb around in some really old, shaky buildings for replacement tubafores. Despite being regular old pineywood, they'll probably outlive him.

Poor WeeGee. Good customer service is simply rampant up there, isn't it? (You Suck.)
======================================================= TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications =========================
On Saturday 29 Jan 2005 4:52 pm, Larry Jaques scribbled:

I forgot the best part: the tool section is straight ahead as you walk in the door (no need to turn) and there is no cage for the tools like I saw in a HD in Montreal. The SOP is usually prefaced with an initial involuntary ablution of the General 350 with Biesemeyer clone fence.
--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email
The times I've asked for help in Lowes, they've always been able to help me. That's never happendd to me in a HD, and usually takes 2 or 3, minimum; even then, they usually didn't stock what I needed. Which is only "one" of the reasons I don't shop at HD.
As far as I am concerned they are all the same! I don't got to HD or Lowes and expect knowledgeable clerks to surround me. I go to buy a tubafour. If I need help, I go else where!
I while back I needed a piece of "B" vent for a furnace I was helping my neighbor install. Now normally I would go to the local wholesale house, but I was a piece short and we wanted to get-r-done. We went to HD, but they had a different brand, ("B" vent varies by brand, you can not mix and match brands), so we went to Lowes. In Lowes heating department I found one piece of "B" vent, right brand, Lowes sticker on it, so I know they stocked it! But no more, no selection of various lengths, no fittings, just this one lost and lonely piece. I asked the confused clerk where in the store did they have this venting, of course I just got some mumbling and shuffling of his feet. Next I asked where they had water heaters in the store, more mumbling, shuffling. I walked off and eventually found the water heaters and a good selection of the venting I was looking for. Seems they stock it with the gas fired water heaters. Greg