OT: To my Mac using friends: BEWARE of OSX10.7 LION.

Page 1 of 2
I am not an Apple Novice so:
That piece of software is lethal. Be VERY careful when you decide to install it. It wipes out all software which was supported by Snow Leopard, stuff like Photoshop CS4, Illustrator CS4 etc. It appears to be Adobe's stuff gets hit hardest.
It is also a RAM hog and should run on 2GB of RAM.
Worse of all, the only way to get it is from The App store and NO refund once you find it sucks.
IF you're silly enough to install it, make sure you have a full back- up through Time Machine and that you have a Snow Leopard DVD handy.
I am staying put at 10.6.8 and they can forget about any further support from me.
On 7/23/11 10:56 PM, Robatoy wrote:

It's my SMO to wait until all the bugs are worked out of any system update and ALL my software is supported before I update. In the music world, so far, all I hear that is good about the new OS is the price. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Well, it is 29.95 too much. I had to do a full restore from Time Machine to get my Photoshop and Illustrator back. Some speculate that Apple is in a war with Adobe about that Flash controversy. I don't know if that is the case, but *I* do not wish to be the guy stuck in the middle. Also, for the short time I had Lion, it was soooo slooow. Naaa.. Apple dropped the ball on this one.
Robatoy wrote:

Something must be wrong at your end. It is impossible for members of the Apple community to believe that Apple would push ANYTHING that was less than perfect.
Every time an Apple user upgrades, an angel gets its wings!

The Lion upgrade appears to be Apple trying to homogenize the 'Look- and-Feel' of the iPhone, iPad and now the iMac and laptops. All the application icons appeared as a series of buttons, screen-wide as if they're trying to push the whole Apple community to wards Touch Screen as the Norm. A lot of macs are used in printing, publishing, web creation, graphic arts and to a certain extent music production. Those folks will not be happy with Lion. I expect a big back-lash. About the loyalty of mac users. Those who use Adobe products to make a living are more than happy to switch to Windows 7 on a reliable box. That ghastly Windows nightmare has largely been dealt with and the difference between Windows and mac isn't enough to matter anymore.
I honestly believe Apple has shot itself in the foot with this one.... but the sales of their other gadgets will still keep them as a leader in 'cool'.
On 7/24/2011 8:04 AM, Angela Sekeris wrote:

Did you notice the uproar over the new version of Final Cut last month? Hey, it's never nice to fuck with professionals who make their living with the software!
IMO, Apple has always displayed a condescending arrogance in matters like this. Although I found a ton of use for the iPad, and will most likely buy an iPhone as soon as my current contract expires because of the way the two devices work together, I've not found Apples' UI to be all that intuitive, and more than a bit clumsy even, despite all the historic hoopla. I'm still surprised almost daily at how non-intuitive navigating the web with Safari is when you get away from just the basic browser tasks.
With the dumbing down of the user pool and Apple's focus on the mass market aspects of their business, I'm noticing more and more pissed off Apple fanbois lately ... you post is hereby submitted as evidence of that observaion. :)
Besides, I put the blame squarely on Apple for ruining the ears of an entire generation of music fans with ProTools. :)
That said, it all depends upon how you measure success ... and Apple under Steve Jobs, has been phenomenally "successful" in the market place ... no argument with that.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Steve Jobs learned that from Bill Gates. Each generation of software from these two giants gets more glitzy and less functional. At one time software was used to work. Now it seems everything is about social networks, games, entertainment, etc. I spent hours in the new MS browser trying to do things I have always been able to. MS bragged about how they hid stuff. They were proud of it!
And this whole thing of taking what is happening on a phone and porting it over the PC is just moronic. But it seems that lots of folks, who aren't that smart of successful, only computer is that damn phone. It is all part of dumbing down the masses. When computer education consists of games, on line gossip and phones, I suppose it makes sense.
Style wins out over substance.
On 7/24/2011 11:12 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Firefox did exactly the same thing with the new version.
Either we're just old farts who don't like it when they move our cheese, or the world is indeed going to hell in a hand basket. ;)
How's that new pup doing?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Us, old farts??? I prefer to think of myself as a mature curmudgeon.
Or maybe we just think that computers are used to actually do some work. And software just reflect that fact.

Chewing on everything. Plays hard, sleeps, pisses, poops and just a handful. He doesn't understand why we get upset if he plays in the street or chews electrical cords. And he has declared our sheepskin slippers to be mortal enemies. He attacks those on sight. And he is always underfoot. We have to walk funny to avoid him. He is still a youngster. He will learn.
On Jul 24, 1:27pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

All worth it in the end. Well, shit... sheepskin slippers? They NEED TO BE ANNIHILATED!!! Playing in the street and electrical cords are not good things.
Lee Michaels wrote:

In my experience, electrical cords are not something to be toyed with. Biting one killed my mom's new pup, and not instantly. Act as if you won't get a 2nd chance, as you may not. Good luck!
Bill
And he has declared our sheepskin

Had the same problem with a new kitten a few years back who could squeeze behind wall cabinets that were almost flush against the wall. The solution was to "paint" the volatile cords with a little Tobasco sauce and string a few non-volatile, tastier electrical cords out in the open.
On 7/24/2011 12:27 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

The walk is familiarly known the "New Puppy Shuffle" ... properly executed it serves to not crush the puppies, or what comes out of them.
Completed the Arthur Murray course not all that long ago myself. ;)
Congratulations ... I know you guys are loving him. Pictures are always welcome, BTW.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

These are not mutually exclusive conclusions.

I bought my wife a new iRon. She does not like the look and feel of it at all. Not even the button for steam.

Verrry clever and consider it stolen.
On 7/24/11 8:04 AM, Angela Sekeris wrote:

"...to a certain extent music production" ????
That like saying basketball players are thin, fast, and to a certain extent tall.
C'mom, Angela!!! :-p
--

-MIKE-

For those interested, here is a very in-depth look at LION: http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars
Maybe it is time for the Mac to get some anti-virus software and come up to the 21st century.
The Great Wall has been up too long. ------------- "Robatoy" wrote in message
I am not an Apple Novice so:
That piece of software is lethal. Be VERY careful when you decide to install it. It wipes out all software which was supported by Snow Leopard, stuff like Photoshop CS4, Illustrator CS4 etc. It appears to be Adobe's stuff gets hit hardest.
It is also a RAM hog and should run on 2GB of RAM.
Worse of all, the only way to get it is from The App store and NO refund once you find it sucks.
IF you're silly enough to install it, make sure you have a full back- up through Time Machine and that you have a Snow Leopard DVD handy.
I am staying put at 10.6.8 and they can forget about any further support from me.

OSX (up to 10.6.8) *IS* the 21st century, you useless troll!

WTF is that supposed to mean?