Bulging Lion Battery - Tesco Hudl 2

Just a heads up,

A few days ago my Tesco Hudl 2 battery decided to expand it's waistline and pushed the LCD screen outside the confines of the case. I've now taken it to bits and am awaiting an eBay 'new-old stock' battery to fit in replacement.

In my view these things may go a bit mental if

1) kept on charge 24/7 and little used 2) it's hot 3) someone (kids) start mishandling such a damaged item.

Same thing happened recently to an old Sony Erricsson phone, I placed it on charge and then found I couldn't slide the battery out.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

They may be connected to the PSU 24/7, but the charge controller will only charge the battery when it requires it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sometime ago I put a 18650 cell into the wrong charger (7.2v), it swelled a little , but I was still able get it into the torch. Interestingly it has worked perfectly ever since.

Reply to
Phi

ITYM a correctly designed charge controller would

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes unfortunately this is what many battery types end life experience is, sadly. Of course if you want a bit of fun then rig up a remote controlled nail gun and fire a nail through the battery in an open space. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or, as in the case of my Kobo Touch eReader, if left in a drawer and not used at all for a couple of years ... as I discovered when I wanted to take it on holiday :-(

Fortunately, I was able to source a new battery with the correct connections, and the reader is working as happily as ever.

Unfortunately, the replacement didn't arrive until after I'd left for the holiday ... but I ended up not having time/energy to read the dead trees I'd taken with me anyway.

Reply to
Daniel James

Be interesting to know what sort of internal charge controller my vaping device has. It takes a single 18650 cell, and the power is set at 15w. Charged every night from a USB 5v source, and the same cell has lasted over 2 years. Not bad considering the low price of those cells.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you're lucky. Have a laptop which fries the battery if left plugged in even if the laptop is switched off. Removing the battery and only fitting it when needed extends its life several times.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I always buy "brand new" batteries, never old or original stock

Reply to
stuart noble