OT: signs of the times

FedEX supposedly delivered a package, destined for me, on 9/2 to a non-existent address on my street and has the gall to insist, with an apparent straight face, that it was signed for by one individual named F. Rontdoor.

And also last week, my bank called initially refused to accept a deposited check from Ireland, dated 12/08/04 and routed through a NY bank, because "...they don't accept post dated checks" ... also with a straight face.

It would almost be funny, if it wasn't so damn sad.

Reply to
Swingman

Da Swingman wrote:>FedEX supposedly delivered a package, destined for me, on

9/2 to a

So, the Irish write it day/month/year, huh? Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Almost the entire rest of the world does ... you're obviously too intelligent to be a banker.

Reply to
Swingman

What would they have done if the check had been written one day later?

-CJ

Reply to
Chris

Have you ever seen a head explode?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Actually, the person at the bank is not the fool. The person that wrote the cheque is. While the date naming convention changes from place to place, on a cheque it should always be written out - August 12 /2004 - Not

12/08/04.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

I disagree - a person writing a check shouldn't change what they're doing based on potential audience, that's not a realistic expectation. However, a banker involved in international banking would have to be completely oblivious to not have the faintest idea that pretty much every other country writes their dates differently than we do.

That having been said, I usually used dates like "8-sept-2004". But, a banker should know that it's done differently in different countries. A person writing a check doesn't have the same expectation of international differences.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, that or August 12, 2004