missing ebay package

For the first time ever, a package is missing.

USPS says was delivered at almost noon, I looked at 2 and it's not there. Neighborhood is quiet as a tomb today, kids are in school, everyone else is at work.

What happens now? Vendor can't be responsible, because USPS says it was delivered.

Only a $15 piece of software from ebay, fast 'n free, so not insured.

So I'm stuck, right?

Regular mail delivery has not arrived for me or my neighbors. Do they send a separate carrier for little 1st class envelopes/packages? If so, maybe he delivered to the wrong house.

Reply to
micky

Around here this happens a lot due to similarity of street names and house numbers. Most neighbors are good about taking pkgs to where they belong

Here the regular carrier brings all packages. Small ones go in the mailbox, larger are left on porch.

If you haven't got expected regular mail, then chances are the time stamp is "early. I've seen that happen also.

Reply to
Anonymous

I have ordered many things from ebay. Never had a USPS item not show up. However, sometimes it comes in all kind of strange times. For some small packages that fit in my mail box (live on a rural rout) they usually come with the regular mail. However I have had a few to come around 6 PM, 3 or more hours after the regular mail. I usually go to the USPS site and set it so I get notifications as to the status of the packages that have a tracking number.

In the 10 years I have lived here, I had a man about half a mile bring me my mail. One day some mail showed up from a road over, I took it to them. There is a business around the curve from me. One day a package about the size of the cell phone box showed up addressed to the company. I took it to them. Don't recall if it had mine or their address on it,but had their name.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hopefully whoever got it will drop it off or toss it back in the mail.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wow. That would be somethin'. Sumpin' terrible.

Especially since they are so detailed:

TODAY 11:47 am Delivered, In/At Mailbox Baltimore,MD 212nn Feb 24 8:19 am Out for Delivery Baltimore,MD 212nn

But I wouldn't put it past them. We shall see.

Reply to
micky

This was something that would fit in the mailbox or mail slot, etc? Or is it a box left sitting on the step? Sure it's not a box and they left it by the garage door or something? Probably was delivered to the wrong address and will show up in a couple days. Are you sure it was not insured? Many items ship priority mail, which automatically has $50 coverage. I would contact the seller right away so you have it on record. If it's not received, Ebay holds the seller responsible, but then it gets into proving whether it was really delivered, who's telling the truth, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

This reminds me that about two weeks ago, the Informed Delivery email showed an envelope with a first class** stamp that was addressed to someone else's name at my address. But the letter never came. Maybe the mailman recognized the name and took it to him, regardless of the address.

**They only send pictures/notices of first class mail anyhow.
Reply to
micky

Here it's stamped with the time the carrier puts it in the box. When I'm expecting something important, I set up for text alerts. The phone text chirp sounds and I can still hear the carrier driving away.

Reply to
trader_4

I assume you have the correct shipping address on file at Ebay? Tracking shows that it was delivered, but I don't think it shows the address. But the seller should be able to show you the actual label and how it was addressed. The carrier here, it registers as delivered at the moment he puts it in the box. It's possible the USPS has GPS data with it too that shows where the truck was when he reported it delivered.

Reply to
trader_4

Probably yes, as we had a Informed Delivery message that a package had been delivered, but we found nothing. (and we weren't expecting any)

Called the local PO, while on the phone they checked and said yes it was delivered to a different but similar** address but to the *correct* person !

They had the carrier go back and confirm that package label had correct name, but our house number and st. address.

** 22 Eastham Vs 22 Eastwood

Oh well.........

Reply to
Anonymous

Don't be completely trusting of the delivery. I had a delivery twice from Amazon shipping companies indicating it was delivered and I refused to believe it cause number one, I have a security camera and nothing was delivered when they said and two, there hasn't been any reported thefts in my area since I've been living here 15 years and the wife orders Amazon weekly. I discovered the driver input a delivery because he was running behind, being close to 9 pm and he skipped my house as he thought he'd deliver first stop the next morning. Basically, he lied and this happened twice with two separate delivery companies.

Reply to
Hawk

Probably. It's one CD but in a retail software box, and then wrapped, probably just in a mailing (padded?) envelope.

One time I got a box of new checks, and the mailman left it outside. I'm sure, because it looked too thick to go through the slot. It was just thin enough. I was really annoyed and I complained to him. Next time I'm expecting checks I'll put a note on the door that they fit through the slot. (But I barely write checks anymore, and he retired 10 years ago.)

I looked all over. Actually my standard shipping address is

Micky, Sage of Usenet, NO Signature required. Please Hide from View to Right. Street number and name....

And usually that's what delivery men do. Because of bushes and where the lot is, just putting it 6 feet to the right keeps anyone from seeing it unless they come up to my door.

Once when I saw a delivery man, he thanked me for putting "No signature req" on the packages. He brought up the topic himself. I guess if I were buying a whole computer, I'd take out that part.

I usually don't bother to change the address when it's small enough to go through the slot, and they all seem to be smart enough to put in through the slot and not to the right.

First class... Regular first class I assumed but maybe tracking etc. doesn't say if it's priority mail. I'll have to pay more attention next time something IS priorty mail.

Only a $15 item. I would consider separate insurance a waste of money on something so small, but it's included with priority mail.

Even when the post office here got it? I don't think that would be fair to the seller, and I'd rather take the loss myself. I posted because sometimes I miss what's obvious, and Retired's story "If you haven't got expected regular mail, then chances are the time stamp is "early. I've seen that happen also." is quite enlightening.

If it doesn't come tomorrow, I'll go on the website and complain.

Reply to
micky

All first class packages have tracking.

If it says first class, it's not priority.

I'll have to pay more attention next

Yes, the seller is responsible until you receive it. The question in cases like his is what proves it was received. Ebay is very biased toward buyers, all kinds of horror stories of sellers obviously getting ripped off and Ebay forcing the seller to give refunds anyway. So you might prevail.

I would certainly want to see the label. How do you know the seller didn't mix up the street numbers, for example.

I don't think that would be fair

Like I said, I would have informed the seller immediately. That shows you were looking for it right when it was supposed to be delivered. A day later introduces the possibility it sat in a mailbox overnight and someone stole it.

Reply to
trader_4

I had 4 tires delivered by FedEx. I was home when the driver left 3. Driver never rang the bell, just left them by the garage. So, I go online to track it, it shows delivered, nothing about one short. I had to call FedEx and then they look it up and tell me the truck was too full, so the other one will be coming tomorrow. The only problem with that is the driver should have rung the bell and told me. The tracking should show an exception, partial delivery, etc. I suppose the driver might not have known, maybe he didn't load the truck, etc. But the tracking shouldn't show delivered.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, I have something else coming tomorrow and the USPS website says Priority.

Usually they print the label straight from whatever they get from ebay, so they get it right.

Not only that, the USPS said it was coming to me, and that alone means he got the address right.

Unless I could make the post office pay for it, and I don't think so, and no one has said so, I don't expect to get reimbursed. The seller did his part.

I once had something -- the shipper might have been the USPS -- that from the tracking I could see that it had arrived at major hub in suburban DC, then to the central place in Baltimore, where it stayed for a day or two, then back to the place in DC, where it stayed for a while, finally back to the vendor in California, I think it was 2 or 3 months later. Though the tracking didn't show that last part to Cal. During that time, I'd written to he place in DC, but they couldn't find it.

When he got it back, without my asking, he credited my Paypal, even for the shipping.

It was addressed properly too. In fact it was the 2nd thing I'd bought from him. I can't imagine why they didn't deliver it.

All that said, the vast majority of packages come on time or earlier with no problems.

Reply to
micky

All that could apply here too. He said he delivered it at noon, but that doesn't change things. Because of this story and Retired's first post, I decided to wait until today before complaining.

Reply to
micky

I had a package like that (just a little tube of CPU thermal grease). It was delivered to the wrong address, and it took them a week to do anything about it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Here, I get misdelivered mail once or twice a month. Usually right number but the next street (same mail carrier to both places). It's easy to walk around the block.

However, I once got 9 pounds of white cake frosting meant for a store 30 miles away.

Same here.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Had to put my dad in the VA hospital for an extended period of time. Mother had passed away a few years before. I would usually check his house once a week. He lived on White Farm Road. A church was on White Road with the same number about 10 miles away. I got a piece of church mail about once every 2 weeks. As I road by the church on the way to work, I would just drop it in their mail box. Both were rural routes.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You won't, unless it was insured. I would go to the post office and tell them what happened, the carrier comes in there, they can ask him. He may even remember an Ebay small box and might have some clue as to where it could be.

Me, I just follow the system. Ebay rules and sellers have to play by the Ebay rules of the game. The price you paid has that factored in, that they are going to have to eat some that go wrong. I would have contacted the seller immediately and then opened an item not received case. Worst case, Ebay decides it.

Which he had to do, per the Paypal rules.

Reply to
trader_4