OT: How Well Is No Call List Working

Page 2 of 4

If the perpetrator is local, it's trivial to file a small-claims action for the statutory damages of $500 *per*call*. Getting such calls can be a non-trivial 'profit center', if you're willing to do a bit of work. :)
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com says...

I think what was banned was auto-dialing and auto-playing taped messages. It sounds like what Charlie was describing was an end-around that by having a hoomin bean ask you to "please listen to the following important recorded message", which removes it from the auto-played arena. Unless I read Charlie's message incorrectly.
On 08 Jan 2004 19:33:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

The old do not call list worked pretty well for me. As soon as I can get a word in, I just say "I'm not interested; please put me on your do not call list". The response is usually, "OK, it will take 6 to 8 weeks". Once, I had to explain to a local business what a do not call list was and a couple of times I've had a shocked telemarketer hang up.
When I get a recording or a recording on my answering machine, I listen for the 1-800 number and call them and tell them to put me on their do not call list.
After a month or two, the volume of the calls does go down.
The national do not call list seems to be working very well.
Bob S
Charlie, I have seen a few web sites that have a script that really frustrates the telemarketer, IF you are willing to play along with them for a couple of minutes. It basically turns the tables on the TM'er and makes THEM start answering your questions. Quite funny for the first few times, but not everyone has the time or patience. Mark
Charlie Self wrote:

Mark wrote:

URLs?
Thanks.
-- Mark
It took some digging, but try this. It's a lot of fun. http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html
Mark Jerde wrote:

Good one.
Bedankt!
--
Best regards
Han
Mark wrote:

Hee! That looks fun!
One more....... http://www.ucan.org/members/ucanmembersonly/gifts4members/takebackyourphone/script.html
Mark Jerde wrote:

I signed up for the Texas DNCL and haven't gotten a marketing call in a year ... it is so effective thus far I didn't bother with the national list.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

Could be you've had some dealings (however minimal) with the offending corporations in the recent past? One of the caveats we've got to be aware of is this little loophole for the bastards, as they can call you for the next 6 months, I believe. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Same here in CT, only much longer.
I can't remember the last telemarketing call.
Barry

Remember the politicians made sure to exempt political calls. With the silly season getting underway I imagine things will start to pickup.
Stuart Johnson Red Oak, Texas
In typed:

I've not only signed up for the national DNC list, but the DMA list as well. I also have one of those Telezappers on my home phone. I get *VERY* few calls these days. Most of the ones I get are from places I've done business with before (newspaper, credit cards, carpet cleaning). When I ask them not to call, they happily comply. At least, so far.
Bear in mind there are still disreputable companies that will ignore the law and count on you not wanting to bother pursuing them about it.
Saudade writes:

Well, as I said, one caller identified herself as from AT&T's credit card division. I've never done business with them, and until now I didn't figure they were disreputable.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

Have you done business with AT&T, like for long distance or local phone service? Maybe that gives them a loophole to call you.
--
Mike Iglesias Email: snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926

Nope. Last contact was about 10 months ago when I canceled my AT&T cell phone because they wouldn't give me what I wanted. I think my wife has an AT&T card, but I'm not on that. We've got something called Verizon for local and long distance here.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message wrote:

Charlie have you been or are you a Citibank (Citigroup) customer? Citibank owns most of the larger Mastercard and Visa Portfolios for consumer cards including the At&t Universal card and any Associates account. At&t wireless is a seperate company and would not be considered an existing relationship.(or likely even a prior one)
Charlie Self wrote:

AT&T recently received a hefty fine for DNC violations and is appealing the fine. AT&T contracts out the job of telephone solicitations, and according to the company, it appears that some of the contractor's employees may be the culprits.