OT: How Well Is No Call List Working

Certainly not noticeable around here. Still catching some 350 - 400 per day on three accounts. We wrote a front-end for our mailer which goes through a list of RBL's and marks the subject line of matches with the characters "[SPAM]". That allows me to dump those in the Delete folder where they are automatically counted before being flushed on the way out ... we have seen nothing but a steady increase in spam despite misguided laws and anti-spam vigilantes.

Reply to
Swingman

AT&T hasn't a clue about customer relations. We received a letter a month or so ago wanting us to return to using AT&T long distance. I sent them a reply stating that if they hadn't shafted us so badly previously, we wouldn't be an ex-customer. Magazine publishers have known for eons that it's far cheaper to retain a current customer than it is to find a new one.

Regarding no-call, I don't recall receiving any such calls since the law went into effect. Prior to that, we'd get two or three per day (and many more when the callers' dialing machines malfunctioned).

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

If the perpetrator is local, it's trivial to file a small-claims action for the statutory damages of $500 *per*call*. Getting such calls can be a non-trivial 'profit center', if you're willing to do a bit of work. :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

a word in, I just say "I'm not interested; please put me on your do not call list". The response is usually, "OK, it will take 6 to 8 weeks". Once, I had to explain to a local business what a do not call list was and a couple of times I've had a shocked telemarketer hang up.

When I get a recording or a recording on my answering machine, I listen for the 1-800 number and call them and tell them to put me on their do not call list.

After a month or two, the volume of the calls does go down.

The national do not call list seems to be working very well.

Bob S

Reply to
Bob Summers

I haven't gotten any sales calls since October that I remember, but I get endless 'survey' calls now. Everyone wants my opinion now and they aren't bound by the 'do-not-call' list.

So I always give them my honest opinion. They suck and can go to hell.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

867-5309 :)
Reply to
Silvan

Hoooey, not me boy. I HATE those people. Pushy, nasty people. MCI wrote the book on nasty phone spam.

I like not having a long distance carrier. To hell with ALL of them!

Reply to
Silvan

Sounds like the reason why I stopped watching TV.

(Well, I watch a little, since it's the only way to be in the same room as SWMBO, but I don't make a habit of it.)

Reply to
Silvan

I think what was banned was auto-dialing and auto-playing taped messages. It sounds like what Charlie was describing was an end-around that by having a hoomin bean ask you to "please listen to the following important recorded message", which removes it from the auto-played arena. Unless I read Charlie's message incorrectly.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

You mean the "I can spam bill?" Perfect example of government intervention making things worse instead of better. Clever SOB's keep finding ways to get around my filters (I'm gonna wind up kill-filing everybody on concentric but myself at the rate things are going). Eudora doesn't have the best filtering capability, but I had been keeping stuff in the in-box down to about 5 or six a day. The last several days it seems like about 20 or more are getting around the filters.

OT: Anybody have any advice on using regexp's in Eudora filters? I'd like to screen out html with embedded gif's

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I've been using spamassassin (spamd/spamc) with evolution, and noticed a similar pattern. At first, it was almost bullet proof, but more and more are getting through the last month or so. There are some extensions that can be integrated with spamassassin that I'll have to look into. I use PAN for a news reader, and it has it's own set of filtering capabilities that work well.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Reply to
Mark

URLs?

Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I think its also that they got bored of people replying angrily, if they replied at all. and they realized that the time when this was a good marketing tool ended a while ago, since less and less people are willing to even bother reading spam.

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Chris at snipped-for-privacy@mybluelight.com wrote on 1/9/04 7:34 AM:

Reply to
Reyd Dorakeen

Living in Iowa, we are besieged with calls from every Democratic candidate there is - I generally get two a night. They are immune because of the politics. I've even replied to Howard Deans website per instructions in his emails to stop them, they simply disregarded and I'm getting as much from him as I get spam. Even if I did like him, (which I don't) it would be enough to go another direction because you can see what they think of us. It will all stop the day of the caucuses, then they will all be directed to New Hamshire.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

You might try this filter:

Header matches regexp .*\.gif.*

Caution: this is completely UNtested. No warranty, express or implied, etc.

Doug Miller

My regular phone line works great. Can't recall the last unsolicited phone. I never added my fax line and it has been getting three to five calls a day. I'm going to leave it as is, because:

  1. I never answer it
  2. While my fax line is ringing some other person is not being bothered.
  3. I hope that at least every so slightly the caller is annoyed by the fax tones.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Mark