OT Google buys AOL chunks

Page 5 of 5

Mark & Juanita wrote:

No, that was Mosaic... Netscape was a rewrite done by Marc Andreeson after leaving academia to form a company around the notion of the WWW.
MS got the mosaic code as well. Some people think Spyglass was a dummy company set up to sell the code to MS under conditions that would prevent MS having to pay the creators any royalties for the code (because that's what happened: royalties were tied to price per unit sale and MS bundled it with the OS and called it "free".)

It was the "bundled" part that got in the way, as Netscape was also offered for free... at first a nominal restriction to first-time tryers, and academic users.
And because of the early stage of development of the underlying protocols, browser/server and browser/markup compatibilities made a good match between browser and server an issue. Not to mention MS's determination to embrace and extinguish the new market.
Tie that to the restrictions MS placed on computer OEMs to limit bundling of Netscape with the computer (making it more expensive for them to buy Windows if they also were going to bundle Netscape) and Netscape thereafter had a much higher bar to overcome than IE: the user was required to download Netscape over what was usually a dialup connection, whereas IE was prominently displayed on the desktop.
Shitty.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

Correct. I used the original Mosaic before Netscape even existed :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I think most of us did if you wanted to use the internet at that time. What else existed? nada Wasn't that around 1988 or earlier?
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

http://www.ciolek.com/PAPERS/GLOBAL/1900late.html#1993
I used LYNX first
Mosaic was '93
George Shouse wrote:

Netscape WWW browser, developed by Marc Andreessen, I would have sworn on my whatever's life it was earlier than that.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Gopher?
--
It's turtles, all the way down

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:15:29 -0800, Larry Blanchard

IIRC, gopher was (is?) a protocol not a client. I think Mosaic would render a gopher info-tree if you put in gopher://gopherserver. The gopher equivalent of HTML was more like an indented list. A site was called a gopher hole.
evodawg wrote:

I was using gopher in 92 and Lynx a bit after that.

Funny you mention this. Firefox is projected to scale up to approximately 20% of the market within a few years from its current 9%. As well, with its increased presence in the market, it will be certainly be targeted for an increased amount of attacks by hackers. And BTW, Explorer 7 is expected to hit the market somewhere near the end of 2006.
Upscale wrote:

Well, I do pity anyone using anything new from MicroCrap, but it's their choice. Think I've made my choice clear. That's all.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Upscale wrote:

I don't think Firefox will ever have the underlying problems with security on Linux that IE has on windows, and if Firefox has a problem on windows it'll just as surely be through some brain-damage in the operating system hooks it uses to get access to the cpu/memory/hardware.
The DoD (and others... DHS for one) recommend against IE. And have for quite some time.
Firefox has many and sophisticated means, as well, to limit risk in phishing attacks, popups, etc. Best of all, I don't think I would feel comfortable at all without this after having used it awhile, is an extension (have you checked out Firefox's extensions? marvelous!) that allows you to selectively allow javascript depending on your trust of the sending server. An icon pops up at any site where it's disallowed (and it is by default) that you can click on to get a menu if you want to allow it from that site.
Firefox has been ahead of the game for quite awhile... and the extensions mean IE will always be playing catchup with a much slower development process.
er
--
email not valid

Upscale wrote:

of the problem with IE is its tight integration with the OS so a hole in IE is a hole in the OS as well for the most part.

I think you mis-understood my meaning. The Netscape people designed and wrote Mozilla. And most likely in doing so, took lessons learned from the original Netscape when designing Mozilla.

AOL bought Netscape in 1999 after MSoft made IE a free piece of software bundled into the Msoft OS: <http://news.com.com/2100-1023-218360.html?legacy=cnet
<http://news.com.com/Shareholders+approve+AOL,+Netscape+deal/2100-1023_3-223131.html
It was spun off as a 501(c)3 foundation by AOL: <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/07/15.17.shtml
Mark & Juanita wrote:

AOL did buy netscape but the code for netscape was not used for Mozilla and Firefox.

Means you get railroaded into Google pay-to-play subsearches. These guys tell where things came from, which can be a help. http://www.metacrawler.com/index.html
George wrote:

And how is this worse than the AOL/MSN/Yahoo ad supported searches which do a good job of crashing MS Internet explorer half the time.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

AOL owns netscape not Mozilla and Firefox. Some of the people who created netscape do work on Firefox and Mozilla but AOL has no ownership or control over them (thankfully). I was still running windows when AOL destroyed Netscape.