OT Google buys AOL chunks

Page 4 of 5

Matt Stachoni wrote:

windows and unix servers and windows takes a lot more "tweaking" both during the initial setup and during production. unix servers get patches and security fixes quarterly, windows gets monthly and that monthly maintenance isn't just installing the hotfixes from MS, its making changes to permissions and registry keys to work around holes they haven't released the patch for yet. In a large enterprise the ratio of windows system engineers to servers is 1 to 50, the ratio for unix is 1 to 75. So if you have 1000 servers it takes 20 windows engineers and 1000 unix servers only takes 13 or 14.

It's in this very thread, in the part that you snipped out (oddly enough). Here's the google link: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/e012748460d66a35?dmode=source (mind the wrap) I'll save you a click if you'd like: "That's nothing. I've got a server, busy little box, that's wrapped around the 497-day "uptime bug" twice and is nearly to a third time. It's busy but has nothing sensitive on it, and is behind enough firewalls that I don't care so much about it being way out of patch."

Nor, apparently, this one.
On 12/23/2005 11:29 AM Dave Hinz mumbled something about the following:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/e012748460d66a35?dmode=source
I didn't reply to your post, I replied to Matt Stachoni.
This is what was in his message that was attributed to you.
>One of my busier servers hasn't been rebuilt, and hasn't been rebooted >in (let's see...497+497+199= 1193 days). It was a sunday morning, and >the reboot was due to a clumsy mistake, not a system problem.
Here's what he replied to
As opposed to the *nix* systems, which work out of the box without constant fiddling.
> > My >> >> machine was last rebuilt about 8 months ago,
One of my busier servers hasn't been rebuilt, and hasn't been rebooted in (let's see...497+497+199= 1193 days). It was a sunday morning, and the reboot was due to a clumsy mistake, not a system problem.
Sure, but if you have to constantly tweak and adjust it, then that's a lot more screwing around than it should be.
> > My tweaking days are over. I want the computer to disappear when I'm > > working on it. Since (now) I'm writing statistical apps for a genetics > > lab I've turned in my sysadmin hat. Hopefully forever.
Ah, so you're a fully-recovered sysadmin, then. A difficult state to get to.
Now, please try again. You didn't mention it in this thread prior to my post. You need a serious lesson in reading newsgroups.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Google confirms that it's all one thread. Please check your facts before trying to give anyone a "lesson", because you look like an arrogant twit when you get it wrong. Hint: There is more than one page of results on the thread search in google.
Odinn wrote:

Odinn, could you please trim that signature? As you can see from the above, it's often more lines than your post.
I believe tradition says one or two lines should be the limit, although 3 or 4 doesn't seen really excessive. But 13?
--
Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

Technically, it's not even a .sig, because it doesn't start with
--
(that's dash dash space newline)
...so even newsreaders which terminate on a proper sig delimiter, won't
Dave Hinz wrote:

Not unless I'm betting the same way you are :-).
--
Keep Saturn in Saturnalia!

On 12/23/2005 12:04 PM Dave Hinz mumbled something about the following:

-- (that's dash dash space newline) ....so even newsreaders which terminate on a proper sig delimiter, won't on his. > > I believe tradition says one or two lines should be the limit, although > > 3 or 4 doesn't seen really excessive. But 13?
I have a guess as to the nature of his response. Want a little side-bet?
Then your newsreader is broken because it IS a --(space) newline.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Today, it is, yes.
On 12/26/2005 10:03 AM Dave Hinz mumbled something about the following:

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

I'll keep my signature as I see fit. Don't like it, don't read it
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Linux does fall behind in the driver category sometimes - not as much interest from equipment manufacturers themselves in making sure the drivers are there when the equipment ships. Have to wait instead for someone to sit and do a good job on the updates.
But as far as OS stability goes - we live in a different world from you Windows users. I had something stuck in a queue a few weeks ago that neither I or my system manager could seem to free up. This did not crash the system, only froze up my local printer. After staring for a while, we decided to do the MS fix - reboot. (This nearly caused the manager to weep). We noted that the machine's last reboot was over 18 months before.
Jim Kirby
James T. Kirby wrote:

$ uptime 12:13:31 up 8 days, 1:32, 1 user, load average: 0.23, 0.21, 0.32
Before that it was somewhere in the vicinity of 60 days
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

That's nothing. I've got a server, busy little box, that's wrapped around the 497-day "uptime bug" twice and is nearly to a third time. It's busy but has nothing sensitive on it, and is behind enough firewalls that I don't care so much about it being way out of patch.
Info Security gets twitchy every time they scan it, though...
James T. Kirby wrote:

I helped develop a SCADA system for an aluminum smelter. It ran on SCO Unix and about the only time it got rebooted was for O/S upgrades. But then the powers that be decided to add some Windoze workstations with some pretty graphics from a canned package. The workstations of course went down frequently. The end users didn't know the difference between the workstations and the host. As far as they were concerned, the "system" was buggy. Ah, well.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:57:35 -0500, James T. Kirby wrote:

Couldn't just re-run the init process? That is, take lpr / lpq down and back up?
Bill Long time Linux user.

Anyone who has said that they've been using Linux since '95 *and* they've never had a problem, can't be trusted. Perhaps you've never had a problem you weren't willing to work through, or that you considered big enough to spoil you on the operating system, but to state you've never had a problem in a Linux environment only says you've never fired the box up.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

you would have noticed that. Take a look at my uptime if you believe I never "fired the box up"
Geez, I started out explaining Mozilla FireFox and Google's relationship and now I've been accused of being a liar. Nice! Really makes you want to reply to a question? Just forget the whole thing.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

As I indicated in a previous posting, the history of Netscape is:
1) Was essentially the original browser that started the whole web phenomenon. Prior to that you had internet search engines like archie, gopher, and others. Netscape was one of the successful .com companies. 2) When Bill Gates "discovered" the internet and the web and made Explorer a bundled free part of the MSoft empire, Netscape's business model was essentially doomed. At that point AOL bought Netscape:
AOL bought Netscape in 1999 after MSoft made IE a free piece of software bundled into the Msoft OS: <http://news.com.com/2100-1023-218360.html?legacy=cnet
<http://news.com.com/Shareholders+approve+AOL,+Netscape+deal/2100-1023_3-223131.html
3) It was after this that AOL spun off Netscape as a separate entity It was spun off as a 501(c)3 foundation by AOL: <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/07/15.17.shtml