OT: Fix for pesky cheapo aglets

Page 2 of 4
"Dave" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- "North" is anything over the "Grapevine" on I-5 from LA.
It is about 4100 ft elevation so makes an easy line of demarcation.
Lew
Wear shoes with leather laces.
Problem solved.
Lew
On 3/21/2013 8:17 AM, Dave wrote:

Swingman is right! ;~) In Texas we commonly call the "aglet" that dam little plastic thang on the end of the shoe lace that fails. ;~)

I first heard the term on the old Johnny Carson show.
On 3/21/2013 9:37 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Well, there you go ... Iowa is indeed way "Northern" to this coonass.
Which begs the question ... how on earth did it come up on the Carson show?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"Swingman" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------- Since Carson was from Nebraska, where is the Iowa fit?
Lew
On 3/21/2013 10:07 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Well, according to that font of unimpeachable knowledge/basis for all baseless assumptions like we've seen here today, Carson was born in Iowa, and moved to Nebraska when he was 8.
If it's on the Internet, it's gotta be true, right?
Bawn jyour ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Jonny liked words. One of the reasons that he loved George Carlin. Carlin had whole routines just based on words. Anyway, Johnny would often ask, did you know the word for....? And he did ask the question about the little thing on the end of the shoe lace. In fact, I remember he asked that question a number of times.
On 3/21/2013 10:08 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Which would definitely indicate that it is indeed NOT a commonly used, or well known, term.
I like words also, which is a reason why I remarked on it in the first place, but I don't know that I would have even snapped to it if the spelling wasn't so corrupted from the apparent French origin ...
Mercy Buckets ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:51:00 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Hmmm, learned two new words today, "misandry", picked it up on another group.
I should have known that one, considering some of the women I've been around.
basilisk
On 3/21/2013 3:02 PM, basilisk wrote:

Well, I did know that one, simply because of its counterpart, "misogyny". Besides, there's an app for that. ;)
Actually, if you have an IOS device, and like words, "The Free Dictionary" by Farlex has an addictive, daily "Word Match" that pops up when its open and that has some doozies.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

I was born in the US, New York in fact. There are American English words that I have never heard of in my 75 years of life. Aglet was not one of them. As I am an aficianado of crossword puzzles, I come across it quite often.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 3/21/2013 5:23 PM, willshak wrote:

Well, with at least one exception, I, who was born, web footed, in the swamps of South Louisiana, have now apparently joined an esteemed group. ;)

Congratulations.
IOW, further proof that it is, by virtue of being used in a puzzle (and reportedly and repeatedly so by none other than Johnny Carson himself), a bit more obscure than your average everyday term?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Lee Michaels wrote:

His show was a wealth of info. That's where I learned the word "philtrum" (Tony Randall used it).
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 3/21/13 8:52 AM, Leon wrote:

I that was the term for what happens 9mos after an A&M co-ed gets pregnant.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/21/2013 10:51 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

My initial thought also ... WTF does an aglet have to do with shoelaces??
You are a product of your environment. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/21/13 10:58 AM, Swingman wrote:

I don't know how I knew the word... perhaps my short lived attempt to exercise my brain with crossword puzzles. An easy test to determine if someone is into crossword puzzles is if they know what and where "Ada" is. Being an Ohio native is a disqualifier. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

--------------------------------------------- Guess having actually been in Ada really disqualifies me.
And no, I don't do crosswords.
Lew
On 3/21/13 11:50 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yep. And you probably know how to pronounce Ashtabula. I live there the first 30 years of my live and I still can't spell Cuyahoga without looking it up. Pierogi is the real qualifier. If you even know what it is, can spell it, *and* have eaten them on occasion, you're a real Great Laker. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------ Kraut, potato, various fruits, take your choice of fillings.
Lots of sour cream on top.
Could almost be sure they would be served on Friday.
Lew