OT: do you think the new "no call list" will survive?

Page 1 of 3
seems the courts in Oklahoma don't like the idea of not being bothered at dinner time with a dozen calls asking if i need new siding on my brick house, or if i would be interested in buying a timeshare in bora bora. . .
i added my name to the FTC's no call list, in the slim hope that maybe, just maybe,,,it might cut the calls in half...now it seems as that wont happen.
guess them telelmarketers paid enough to get decent justice for themselves
thank you for letting me vent! lol
Traves
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message

congress is in the process of voting the ftc this particular action, so the court case will be overturned by an explicit law. as the head congress-critter put it: '53 million people can't be wrong'.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
In

Already done in the House.
http://tinyurl.com/onto

I think they just cut their noses off to spite their faces. Seems to me if the don't call list says not to call a certain number, it would be a waste of time to call anyway as they don't want to hear from you. A don't call list would weed out the people that are not going to buy.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:18:52 GMT, "Leon"

You don't have to be smart to be a telemarketer.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
That was my thinking but someone pointed out that folks may also be putting their names on the list because they know they can't resist buying and this saves them the temptation.
Renata
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:18:52 GMT, "Leon"

Renata remarks:

I doubt it. I put my name on the list, first day possible. I have a rule to never buy by telephone unless I initiate the call. I have no problem at all not buying septic system treatments or credit help from some doofus on the phone. It's right up there with not buying crap from HSN or QSwhatever it is.
Not once have I ever had a telemarketer call with something I needed or wanted. If I did, I'd find a way to buy it elsewhere, but these days I hang up as soon as the line starts to unreel.
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt
Must be some other kind of robot than I experience. With me, they ring three times only, to avoid answering machines, I suppose.
Three rings is just about the time it takes me to confirm the phone ringing by the second, and get to the phone as the third dies away....

same
Evidently now

total
buy
Barry Burke responds:

Me, too. I own the phone. I rent the line. They use it. Therefore, they should pay me rent. About $50 per second would work nicely.
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

I don't disagree, but the illogic of the law that caused it to be ruled invalid is that it still allows the "annointed" to use your phone line to bother you. The ruling made it clear that if ALL phone spam was treated equally it would be OK. However, the law allowed politicians to call, allowed BS "chairities" to call and allowed the worst - pollsters- to call. Why are these people allowed to abuse my phone lines, but people trying to make a buck selling something aren't. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to hear from any of them, but the politians, pollsters and charities (that spend 95% of their donations on salaries and fees to raise more donations) are the first ones I want blocked. If this ruling forces the law to be revised to allow us to opt out of those calls, then it was a great ruling.
Dave Hall
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

I have occasionally gotten telemarketing calls at work. My standard answer is, "my employer charges $x.xx per minute for my time. How many minutes do you want to buy? When you submit a purchase order, we can talk."

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:01:03 GMT, Mark & Juanita
So do I, most often from long distance companies. While I work, I'll let them go through the entire spiel, sometimes putting them on hold while I answer other calls.
You should hear their reaction when they find out they've called another phone company. <G>
Barry
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:01:53 -0500, Traves W. Coppock <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote:>

We've had one for years in CT, with GREAT results.
It'll survive.
Remember, NEVER buy anything from a telemarketer or a spammer.
Barry
The one in Texas works - rarely get a telemarketing call since joining up a year or so ago. Now if they could do the same thing with Junk Faxes ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:22:03 -0700, "Charlie Spitzer"

Right... <G>
Has anyone actually collected under this law?
Barry

Yup. *LOTS* of people. see <http://www.junkfax.org for a starting point.
The FCC also *does* follow up on complaints. Issuing 'cease and desist' orders, and levying *non-trivial* fines. I've got a bookmark around somewhere of the web page where they _list_ the enforcement actions they've taken.
*removethis* snipped-for-privacy@snet.net wrote:

Likewise here in Indiana. I'm delighted with the results: three telemarketing calls so far this *year*. We used to get that many just during supper.
How do you sign up in CT?
in message

<http://www.state.ct.us/dcp/nocall.htm